Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vacation home rentals? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vacation-home-rentals-403389/)

cactushugger Feb 25th, 2004 06:51 AM

Vacation home rentals?

Does anyone have experience with the Vacation Rentatl By Owner (VRBO) organization? I found their listings online. It sounds like a good way to find a nice place to stay...but, is it safe? I'd love to hear from anybody who has rented this way. Good AND bad reviews are welcome.
Thanks for your help!
Gretchen

JohnD Feb 25th, 2004 06:56 AM

Used in October 2003. Fortunately we only had to leave a small deposit ($200) to reserve a 1BR condo on Maui, and the balance was paid upon arrival by check. No problems and corresponded with owner via email before arriving over any issues.

:S-

Tandoori_Girl Feb 25th, 2004 08:22 AM

Be sure to get a contract from the owner. I don't think it would be out of line to ask for names of referrals from previous renters of the place. Sometimes deposits can be half of the rental, that's not unusual so don't be alarmed. I own a rental in Florida and that's a common policy here even for six month rentals.

SusanInToronto Feb 25th, 2004 08:24 AM

I used it to rent a casita in Sayulita, Mexico and was thrilled with the place we wented. It exceeded my expectations.

karenvk Feb 25th, 2004 09:23 AM

We used VRBO last year when renting a home in the Orlando area. It was a positive experience all around...we dealt directly with the owner who happened to be from Scotland but he answered all emails immediately, was extremely pleasant to deal with and we'd do it again in a minute!

cactushugger Feb 25th, 2004 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone! I hope the responses will keep coming. So far I haven't heard a single negative remark. (I've had a couple of emails also from another message board.)

Susan from Toronto, I'd love to hear more about your experience in Mexico. We have considered spending a couple of months a year there after we retire. Coincidentally I just read an article about North Americans who retire south of the border. If I am remembering correctly the city you visited is one that was mentioned in the article. We've been to the Yucatan and the state of Chiapas and enjoyed that trip. Would enjoy hearing of your experience. If you care to email me please put Mexico as the subject...otherwise my email screen will reject it. ([email protected])

Jacqueline1212 Feb 25th, 2004 05:33 PM

Have used then often - never a problem. Always call the owner to talk and get a "feel" for them. Then contact the property, if a condo complex, to make sure the owner is real, and also contact the website to find out if there have been any complaints. Found a problem once and didn't go forward. All units were as represented and owners were very accommodating. Money had to be paid up front. Will continue to use them after above research. Quality of properties much better than time share swaps. Compare prices with realtors and then make a decision.

paige Feb 26th, 2004 07:11 AM

I've used them several times in Colorado and in Florida. Never had a problem. The first time I was a little apprehensive and did call the complex where the unit was located to verify the ownership. I have talked directly on the phone with some owners, but not always. Leaving in two weeks for Destin - can't wait - it will be the 7th time we've used VRBO.com. Usually require 50% deposit when booked (but sometimes less) and balance due 30 days prior to arrival. Some owners take credit cards, but not most.

GloriaE Feb 26th, 2004 07:34 AM

We have used VRBO several times for rentals in Hawaii and Oregon. We have had excellent luck. I have always contacted the owner by telephone. Good luck!

Suzie Feb 26th, 2004 08:50 AM

We tried to use vrbo for a place in Tahoe but the owner wanted 100% of the rental fee upfront. Had never done this in all the years of renting cabins both directly from the owners and from rental/realty companies. We turned her down and found another place.