Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   vacation for single mom with 2 teenage daughters? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vacation-for-single-mom-with-2-teenage-daughters-924607/)

vacmom Feb 19th, 2012 06:47 PM

vacation for single mom with 2 teenage daughters?

I want to take my daughters on a nice, but relatively inexpensive vacation this year. Any ideas for good places to go in the US that all of us would enjoy? (Not just a teen party place!) They would like a beach, some shopping, maybe a spa. Also, if there are interesting places to visit - not art museums, but other types of things? Ideas please!

DebitNM Feb 19th, 2012 07:08 PM

What is budget? Where are you coming from and how long a vacation? Will you fly, train, drive? How old are the teenage daughters, big difference for 13 or 14 and 18 or 19. Where have you been and what "other types of things"? More info will yield more suggestions.

vacmom Feb 19th, 2012 10:10 PM

We are in Minnesota, and open to the method of travel. Not sure of budget yet, we haven't really been to too many places as a family - Chicago & Washington. They are 16 & 18, and as for types of things: interesting physical features - caves, tide pools, mountains, etc. or fun touristy type activities. Depending on cost & distance, we would go either on a mini vacation 3/4 days or go for a week to a week and 1/2.

mclaurie Feb 20th, 2012 04:26 AM

What time of year???

Barblab Feb 20th, 2012 05:15 AM

Since you want a beach I assume you mean summer, which would necessitate flying if you are coming from MN with your time frame. The obvious choices would be Florida, which I would pick if you are going at the beginning of summer, or Southern California if you are going at the end of summer.

vacmom Feb 20th, 2012 06:08 AM

I am thinking towards the end of July, and it doesn't have to be the obvious places like CA, or FL it could be like Myrtle Beach, etc. I had posted another thread about NY, but I don't think I will do that this time....I want a more relaxing, fun, stress free vacation. Dealing with the hustle & bustle of NY doesn't bring that to mind! Someone had suggested Maine - any comments on that? And it doesn't necessarily have to have a beach, that was just an idea for down time.

tomfuller Feb 20th, 2012 06:18 AM

How about taking the Amtrak "City of New Orleans" all the way to NO after seeing the city rent a car and head to either South Padre Island (TX) or Biloxi (MS)?
The train leaves Chicago at 8PM every night.

PeaceOut Feb 20th, 2012 07:36 AM

Years ago my DD, age 19, and I spent a week at Cocoa Beach, Florida. It was a last-minute trip, and we sort of stumbled upon Cocoa Beach. We stayed at the Hilton there, as it had a $90/night package for the week. But more importantly, it sits right at the water with a gorgeous pool and deck, with steps to the beach. At that time, the hotel was due for a face-lift, which they have probably done by now. The rooms do not have lanais, however, which is a big oversight for the gorgeous views it has. But it was well worth the price.

From Cocoa, we saw a space shuttle launch. You can visit the Kennedy Space Center, or even drive to Orlando for the day if you want.

Cocoa is a simple place, more family-oriented, but plenty of restaurants and shops. We liked its more quiet vibe, even at spring break week.

PeaceOut Feb 20th, 2012 07:41 AM

PS Money-saving tip: We purchased two beach lounge chairs and an umbrella from the closest Publix grocery store, for about $30. Saved us big bucks over renting those items every day. We gave them to some college kids when we left, and they were thrilled to have them.

joesorce Feb 20th, 2012 09:46 AM

Maine isn't budget-friendly in July and August, the tourist season is very short there, some places fill-up a year ahead of time and most anything near the beach or the lake is expensive.

How about San Francisco? You could take a day trip to Half Moon Bay, or up to wine country, or out to see the Redwoods.