Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Vacation apartment rental on the Strand in Manhattan Beach, CA?

Vacation apartment rental on the Strand in Manhattan Beach, CA?

Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Vacation apartment rental on the Strand in Manhattan Beach, CA?

As an alternative to a hotel, I found a rental directly on the Strand in Manhattan Beach for $175 a night. Not very familiar with the area. Would this be a safe choice for a woman traveling alone? Would appreciate any advice from people familiar with the area.

http://www.vrbo.com/231040
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
lvk

That looks like a great deal! I would have no problem staying there as a woman traveling alone. It is in the North MB, "El Porto" area, which is not that close to the MB pier/downtown area, but still within walking distance of some fun restaurants, such as Pancho's, (panchosrestaurant.com)‎ Beach Hut, the original El Tarasco. It is also a great place to watch surfers.

The location is very close to LAX and easy access to the 405 or 105 for travel throughout LA.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, I was hoping to walk to the MB pier. I couldn't get a feel for how far it is from Mapquest. The apt does have bikes available and I will have a car. I think I read Panchos was voted as having the best Margaritas? Yay! I wonder if it will be beach weather at the end of April?
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
lvk

Not beach weather as in swimming in the ocean without a wetsuit, but it should be perfectly pleasant walking and cycling weather (high 60's, low 70's). If it helps any, the east-west streets in MB are (mostly) numbered. El Porto's #'s are in the high 30's to 40's, and the pier is between 11/12th St, so it would be over a 25-block walk from El Porto to the downtown area. It is a pleasant walk/ride, and you'll see some really cool architecture styles along the way, in addition to watching the beach activity.

Enjoy your margarita(s)!
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much lvk, I really appreciate your comments! Margarita(s)here I come .
Mar 7th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I did end up booking the studio apt referenced above. Can't wait. Thanks for your replies.

Search this Thread