Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   VA Beach area - beach house - 9 month old babies (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/va-beach-area-beach-house-9-month-old-babies-418004/)

Meems Apr 1st, 2004 06:26 PM

VA Beach area - beach house - 9 month old babies

We want to rent a house on the beach but have no idea what area. We are from PA. We want to drive to VA beach area. We just want to relax, aren't looking for much excitment. We have 9 month old twins. We want a shopping/restraunt area that we can go with a double stroller and is family/baby friendly. Somewhere where we can go w/ the babies, casual. We want to relax and be able to walk on the beach with them, show them the water, sand. We want to go the week before Memorial Day. Does anyone have any ideas as to where we should look to rent a beach house? any tips/advice, considering we have the babies?? Thanks!!

emd Apr 2nd, 2004 02:52 AM

Are you saying you want to go to Virginia Beach or that you are looking for recommendations for a beach in VA? If it is the former, I don't know that there are houses to rent in VA Beach right near the main town area and in walking distance to dining, shopping etc. My memory is that it is all hotels in that area. I know there are houses to rent in the Sandbridge area, that's a very nice family beach area, but you'd have to drive to VA Beach from there.
If your question is the latter one, then post again and we can give you other beach ideas besides VA Beach.

Meems Apr 2nd, 2004 05:50 AM

Yes, we really just want to go to that area. How far away is Sandbridge from VA Beach? Also Williamsburg? We want somewhere to relax with the babies, on the beach, and then have access to areas where we can shop/dine/go with the babies in a double stroller. Is there a boardwalk type area in VA Beach or Sandbridge?

emd Apr 2nd, 2004 06:21 AM

I don't think it is a wooden boardwalk per se in VA Beach, but there is a sidewalk that runs down part of the the beach w/shops and dining on it, and there is a block right behind the beach that is full of shops/dining.

If you don't get any other answers, do come other online searches on VA beach rental houses. Maybe there is some area closer to VA beach to rent a house than Sandbridge. there is no boardwalk in Sandbridge. It is strictly rental houses (it does have lifeguards). You need to drive to shop or dine if staying in Sandbridge.

emd Apr 2nd, 2004 06:24 AM

meems: i am topping some old posts for you on this. do a search here for virginia beach and one for sandbridge and you'll get more info.

tomboy Apr 2nd, 2004 06:33 AM

My daughter has 5 yr old twins, lives 3 miles from Sandbridge. I would guess VA beach is maybe a 20 minuted drive. It does have a boardwalk, perhaps a good 1/2 mile long if not more. The beach seems about 250 feet of sand from boardwalk to water. Maybe 50 feet at Sandbridge.
My 2 cents? If you're a shopoholic, stay in VA Beach. If you're content to play "splash" and "sandbucket" with them most of the day, stay in Sandbridge. The kids will be happy either place. Another consideration would be if you'd want to get a babysitter; you could probably get one either place, but I'd strongly suggest arranging ahead rather than taking pot luck.
I know there's a realtor in Sandbridge that arranges rentals, and they have a website as I recall (from when I was trying to find a motel closer to Pungo/Sandbridge than VAB; there are none). You could probably contact the VAB chamber of commerce, or some realtors, to rent in VAB.

tomboy Apr 2nd, 2004 06:41 AM

Oh, by the way. In the last 5 years there's been a lot of development south of VAB toward Sandbridge. So about 10 miles south of VAB proper, and 5 miles west, there are shopping malls and restaurants; it now looks suburban rather than rural (Sandbridge still looks rural). VAB looks urban. So, if you like the hustle & bustle of a resort town, =VAB. If you want to chill out only, =Sandbridge. If your twins are toddling yet, bear in mind that 250 feet of sand is a long way to toddle (to the water), or for you to carry all the "stuff".