Using public transport from JFK to Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time poster!! We are flying into JFK next Friday and are staying at the Marriots Coutyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands for a few nights so that my son (and husband) can go to Wrestlemania at the Metlife.

How easy is it to get from A-B using public transport and what sort of costs are we looking at? My husband would rather do it this way so we get the full "experience" but we have 3 children aged 7, 10 & 12.

I have used Google maps and got some directions using public transport, but its not really that explanatory and doesnt indicate how easy it is!!! Any help gratefully received.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:11 AM

It's going to be grueling whichever way you look at it, but I would simply not attempt this with 3 kids.

A car service from JFK to NJ will be in excess of $100. Probably more like $160 with tolls (2 bridge tolls) and tip. But you'd need to get an estimate from a car service (Dial 7 or Carmel are the best choices). This is going to be much easier and cheaper than a regular yellow taxi. I can't imagine the trip will take less than an hour by taxi, though if you get lucky, you could do it a bit faster. And it could take considerably longer (90 minutes or more) if you are arriving after 3pm (i.e., rush hour). It took me almost an hour to get to my apartment last week by taxi from JFK at 5pm. My apartment is about halfway to the Meadowlands by the route you'll likely travel.

Having said that, public transit is really hard.

1. Take the Airtrain to the Long Island Rail road ($5 per person ... everyone has to pay). Time: 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Take the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station ($7 to $9.50 depending on the time .... more in peak hours). Time: 25 minutes plus waiting time.
3. Go to Port Authority, which is 8 blocks up from Penn Station. Walk or a $6 or $7 taxi ride (with a rather long wait).
4. Take NJ Transit BUS (not train because the Lyndhurst train station isn't really near the hotel since you are literally in the middle of nowhere ... about $5 each). Time: 30 minutes?

So basically change of transit stations, about 90 minutes to 2 hours of travel time if you get unlucky. Total Cost: About $20 each.

Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic, but this is a particularly difficult transfer. You save $10 per person by doing it by public transportation and at least double your travel time.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Public transit is, indeed, difficult.

The only modification I would make to Doug Stallings' recommendation is to suggest avoiding the transfer from NY Penn Station to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan by taking NJTransit from Penn Station (where the LIRR arrives) to the Lyndhurst Station, involving a change of trains at Secaucus. Then, you could arrange for the hotel's van to meet your train. If you do take NJTransit, be sure to purchase tickets from the vending machines or at a ticket window. There is a $5 surcharge for purchase aboard a train.

Incidentally, NJTransit will offer train service to the Meadowlands Arena on Sunday, April 7, again via Secaucus.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:39 AM

I agree with bspeilman about taking the train to Lyndhurst. It's definitely easier if the hotel does have a van pick-up service at the station. If not, you will have to find a taxi to carry 5 people, which may not be easy in NJ.

I don't suppose there's any way you could stay in Long Island City Queens? It's very easy to get to from the airport and about the same price as NJ, and then you could take NJ Transit for the Meadowlands event and the subway everywhere else in New York City during your stay.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM

If you can change your hotel to one in Manhattan, then it would be a lot easier.
Generally on major event days NJ Transit runs trains and buses to MetLife.

Or change your flight to Newark(and take taxi back and forth to hotel) and Change your hotel to one that has a shuttle to and from the stadium.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Not the question you asked - buthw will you get around NJ without a car. This is definitely the subrubs and public transit - except in and out of the city - is very sparse. Where will you go for meals, etc.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies, we have now changed hotel and are staying at Fairfield Inn, east Rutherford, still a trek I know, but we are now looking at staying in Manhatten for the first 2 nights and moving on the day of the event. The lengths we travel for our kids!!! As it is we have to change planes in Dublin!!
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM

What I don't understand is why you are moving hotels foe the event. It's fairly easy to get to the Meadowlands for events by bus or train, but its virtually impossible to move around NJ without a car.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:05 PM

If you've elected to stay for part of your visit in NYC, why not stay in Manhattan for your entire visit? NJTransit will be operating buses to the IZOD Center at the Meadowlands Sports Complex directly from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan or from the Secaucus Junction Station, one train stop from NY Penn Station. Here's complete information: http://bit.ly/11NgKOv
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM

I may have erred in mentioning the IZOD Center. If the event is at MetLife Stadium, then you can purchase train tickets online (no buses involved): http://bit.ly/15VEuN4
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you change your flights to land at NewarkEWR?
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Why change flights when they only want to be in Jersey for one evnet - and it seems like then see the city - versus driving aruond the suburbs in a car (really necessary).
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM

<Can you change your flights to land at NewarkEWR?>

I've seen this question before on this website and I always wonder about it. Every flight I ever buy is ridiculously expensive unless I pick the "nonchangeable, nonrefundable" option. Are those actually easy to change, and I missed the memo? Or does it help if you have lots of Frequent Flyer miles and elite status (not me!)?