Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Utah/Northeast Arizona road trip advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/utah-northeast-arizona-road-trip-advice-419958/)

peezee Apr 7th, 2004 11:33 AM

Utah/Northeast Arizona road trip advice

I'm in the process of planning an extensive (and probably over-ambitious) road trip in the southwest. The beginning and end of the trip are fully planned but I'm looking for some advice in the middle! We'll be leaving Jackson Hole, WY on a Wednesday morning ... have a reservation at the Vally of the Gods B&B, UT on Friday and need to end up in Santa Fe Monday afternoon. Here's the wish list: Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Canyon De Chelley and the Petrified Forest. Hoping to do some 4-wheel tours and some hiking. I'm pretty sure we won't be able to fit this all in. I'd love ANY suggestions ... please!!!!!!

utahtea Apr 7th, 2004 10:26 PM

From Jackson, WY to Moab, Utah is over 500 miles and will take at least 9 hours of driving time...so that kills Wednesday.

Thursday I would get up early and go see Canyonlands, hike to Mesa Arch, and then go into Arches, stop at the scenic turnouts and try to get in a hike like Landscape Arch or Park Avenue.

Friday I would go back into Arches for a hike (I suggest Delicate Arch) before heading down to Valley of the Gods.

Saturday you can take a 4 wheel drive tour of Monument Valley and drive to Canyon de Chelly.

Sunday do a 1/2 day tour of Canyon de Chelly, take the S. Rim scenic drive and drive the 100 miles to Gallup, NM.

Monday get up early and drive the 200 miles to Santa Fe by afternoon.

I would skip the Petrified Forest, it is to far out of the way and you really don't have the time. I always say I've got to save something for next time!

Utahtea

sharondi Apr 8th, 2004 03:00 AM

Valley of the Gods B&B is an amazing place. You'll love it. I would skip spending any time in Monument Valley. It's beautiful but just seeing it from a distance is enough. Skip Petrified Forest. You should try to see Arches on your drive south - maybe do a short hike. Arches is easier to get to than Canyonlands but both are spectacular. If you can fit in some time at Canyonlands, do it. There are lots of great four-wheel roads in the park. The Valley of the Gods road is also amazing and its right in front of the b&b. You've got a lot of driving to do in a short period of time. We have some pictures of our Sept '03 Utah trip at www.pbase.com/peterb - just scroll down til you see the Utah album.

peezee Apr 8th, 2004 05:50 AM

Thanks for the great advice UTAHTEA and SHARONDI. Using your suggestions ... I should be able to tweak things and make this a wonderful part of the trip without becoming too exhausted!

UTAHTEA, your itinerary seems perfect. My husband really wanted to see the Petrified Forest, but I think the other places will be much more spectacular. As far as I'm concerned it's off the list for this trip ... now I'll just have to convince him!

SHARONDI, I loved your pics. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to get to the Valley of the Gods B&B. I wish we could see as much as you did on your trip. It looks incredible. And I'm really glad we've rented a 4WD vehicle!

I'm amazed at the wonderful info that this board provides. It's really been helpful in planning my trip. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

THANKS!

gail Apr 8th, 2004 08:35 AM

I will repeat my previously posted advice about this part of the country - especially if you are from more congested area like Northeast or parts of California.

We found mileage distances/estimated time to be so deceptive in this part of the country (we are from Boston). Some roads are so flat and straight you could freeze the steering wheel and be fine. Other roads are winding, narrow, a little terrifying if you look down and imagine how far you would fall if you did not pay attention.

Also, in some places everything is grey and boring - nothing much to photograph or even look at. In other places you will want to stop every 5 minutes just to admire the view.

Whatever advice Utahtea gives you about routes/driving, etc. is undoubtedly correct - she helped plan our trip last summer and could write her own travel book!

utahtea Apr 8th, 2004 09:33 AM

peezee,

I didn't realize you were going to have your own 4 wheel drive vehicle. If you get up REALLY early on Thursday morning, then I suggest taking the Potash Road - Shafer Trail into Canyonlands. It's a 4 wheel drive road but not difficult at all. You will drive on the road that was used in the movie "Thelma and Louise" It's the area where they drove the car off the cliff!" It's to bad you have so little time in the Moab area with a 4 x 4!

Our pictures from of this trip were not from the digital camera:

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id10.html

Once in Canyonlands make sure you see the Green River Overlook and the Grand View overlook.

Definitly do the dirt roads in Monument Valley. You are limited to the area you can go in your own vehicle but you can see some really spectacular views & butts you can't see from the highway.

In Canyon de Chelly you will NOT be able to take your private vehicle into the canyon UNLESS you hire a Navajo guide.

If you DH really insists on the Petrified Forest, I guess when you leave Canyon de Chelly on Sunday you could drive the 125 miles to Holbrook, AZ instead of Gallup. Depending on when you leave Canyon de Chelly you might or might not have time to see the Petrified Forest until Monday morning. You will have to leave at first light on Monday to see the Petrified Forest and then drive the 320 miles to Santa Fe which will take 6 hours of JUST driving time. OR you can use that as a leverage not to go ;)

Utahtea

utahtea Apr 8th, 2004 09:35 AM

gail,
I'm glad I was helpful in your trip planning.

Utahtea

peezee Apr 8th, 2004 10:03 AM

Thanks Utahtea ... I like the way you think. I'll need all the leverage I can get to talk him out of the Petrified Forest. I'm sure he won't want to shortchange any of the other places after seeing all of the great pics and I definetly don't want an exceptionally long drive into Santa Fe. We have to do the "Thelma and Louise" drive into the Canyonlands. I LOVE that movie. And I figured on a guided tour at Canyon De Chelly because of their limitations, but I'm glad to hear that we can drive through Monument Valley ourselves.

I really wish we had more time. And I owe you commission!!

utahtea Apr 8th, 2004 07:20 PM

peezee,

If you want a really cool look at the Shafer Trail then visit this website. It will give you a virtual road trip of the Shafer Trail.

http://www.untraveledroad.com/USA/Ut...y/198WTour.htm

When you get to Moab, I would get a map of the trail. Make the little detour on the White Rim Trail to Musselman Arch. Also ask where Thelma and Louise was filmed. I know where it is, but can't really describe it other than it's right below Dead Horse State Park Overlook. There is an out house about half way, just so you know!

We only took the 1/2 day tour of Canyon de Chelly, but I wish we had taken the all day. It wasn't the money, but the fact that we had just done an ALL day tour on Lake Powell in the sun just a couple days earlier and wasn't ready for another all day in the sun. We booked our tour thought the Thunderbird Lodge and I highly recommend them.

http://www.tbirdlodge.com/Tours.htm

Utahtea