Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Utah National Parks (Bryces, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley) in summer

Notices

Utah National Parks (Bryces, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley) in summer

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:18 AM
jeffergray

I have long wanted to take my family to visit the various national parks in southern Utah and northern Arizona -- Monument Valley, Bryce's Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, Canyonland, Arches). We were thinking about going this summer, but it looks like the only time we would be able to do it is in the first half of August. Would the heat be too searing at that time of year to make it worthwhile to go? My children are 5 and 8.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Paul Rabe

Depends on your definition of "too searing." It WILL be over 100F at many of these places, with VERY dry conditions (Arches will probably be the worst). If you plan well, avoid the mid-day sun, carry and drink lots of fluids, wear cotton clothes and a hat, and use lots of sunscreen; you can reduce the problem to manageable levels.

I'll never recommend NOT going to these wonderful sights, but just be aware that you're going into some REAL heat.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Bob Brown

It will be hot. In Arches, I suggest getting a very early start and be out of the sun by or before noon.
Canyonlands can be hot, too.
Capitol Reef is a hot spot, and it too needs to be toured early in the day or late in the afternoon. Fortunately, in some of the canyons like Grand Wash, you will be in the shade most of the morning. By afternoon, the rocks are hot and not much of a breeze stirs in those narrow areas.
Bryce is your best bet. The rim in the main areas is around 8,000 feet and the end of the road reaches the high point in the park that is easily accessible at about 9,000 feet.
Another good place that is high is Cedar Breaks, but it is similar to Bryce.
Zion will be hot. I have been there when the temperature was 105 at the Visitor Center. I don't care if it is a dry heat, it is still hot.
I suggest a visit to Mese Verde. It is fairly high and not as bad as Canyonlands or Arches.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:36 PM
steve

If you decide to go, you need to get your reservations quickly, especially if you are going to try to stay in the parks.

Whether you find it too hot depends on you. For someone from Phoenix, it is certainly not too hot, even at 105.

One thing for sure it that with the dry air and the high elevations, the temperatures cool off at night and so the early mornings will not be too bad.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Utahtea

We always use to have to visit in the heat of the summer when our boys were young and in school. There is a lot you can see from the vehicle. If it's air conditioned then you won't have a problem. I bet the kids will have an easier time in the heat than the adults...LOL...ours did.

You need to do your hiking either very early in the morning or after dinner. We started the Delicate Arch hike in Arches at 8 P.M. once.

You will find that there will be more thunderstorms in August.

Utahtea