Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Utah in June----Prefer Ritz, but... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/utah-in-june-prefer-ritz-but-603432/)

cindyck99 Mar 29th, 2006 08:50 AM

Utah in June----Prefer Ritz, but...

I'm going w/ my husband to a conference in mid June at the Grand Summit in Park City.

I've tried to read alot on here.

Here's the deal......I'm not camping nor do I plan on hiking too much. I love staying at any Ritz Carlton, but I'm not prissy.

While he's in meetings, what can I do? Is their spa OK? Shopping? Warm enough to lay out?

thanks---btw...first time poster here :-)

kangamom Mar 29th, 2006 09:06 AM

I'm not sure of your question. Are you asking about the Grand Summit or Park City?

You will probably want to rent a car as the Grand Summit is in the Canyons, not really in Park City Central. Alternately, the resort may have a shuttle bus that will take you to Main Street in Park City. Keep in mind that you will be going to a ski resort in the summer, so its going to feel a bit dead.

For shopping/restaurants, Park City is your best bet.

If you are looking for more Ritz-like accomodations, I will look into the Stein Erikson Lodge in Deer Valley.

It will be warm enough for you to lay out as Utah in June is very dry and hot.

JackOneill Mar 29th, 2006 09:19 AM

I've never been to the Grand Summit, so I can't comment on it. But if you do have a car and want to get out, head down to Sundance. It's Robert Redford's place. It's about 30 minutes from park City. They have some nice restaurants and a gift shop there.

cindyck99 Mar 29th, 2006 09:41 AM

Thank ya'll.

Well, I don't have a choice on where we stay. So, that's OK.

I guess my question/concern is about the Grand Summit and what to do on the property.

Thanks again.

Dayle Mar 29th, 2006 10:52 AM

Hi Cindy,

I live in Park City, so here's my input.

The Grand Summit is a quite nice, high rise condo hotel. It has a restaurant, outdoor pool, and weightroom. It is at The Canyons ski area which is about 3 miles away from Park City's Historical Main Street area.

In the winter there are free shuttle buses that run everywhere you want to go. I don't know how frequent they are in summer from the Canyons.

There is a very small "village" area at the Canyons where the GS is. There are free outdoor concerts on Saturday nights and you can take your own picnic basket and "beverges". I believe they start early June. There is also a farmer's market in the Canyon's lower parking lot on Wednesdays.

There are several golf courses and excellent day spas in the Park City area. In town, there are lots of wonderful galleries, shops, and gourmet restaurants. There is also the Utah Olympic Park, where athletes put on an amazing aerial show on Saturdays at noon. Get your tickets in advance as they always sell out. Great for spectators!

There are free outdoor concerts at Deer Valley on Wednesday nights, and Symphony concerts on the weekends.

There are factory outlet stores near I-80 in Kimball Junction, about 3 miles from The Canyons.

There is also hiking, biking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, fly fishing, all the outdoors stuff that is so great in the summer.

I know you will have more than enough to keep you busy. Yes, June will be warm enough to lay out - just wear your sunscreen. You get a quick burn at high altitude.

Have fun!

cindyck99 Mar 29th, 2006 11:15 AM

Thanks Dale!!!

I'm assuming the Spa at Grand Summit is small and not thier main focus?

cindyck99 Mar 29th, 2006 11:16 AM

sorry, i spelled your name wrong...DAYLE.

Dayle Mar 29th, 2006 11:32 AM

I haven't tried their spa, so can't say. I believe there is another one at the Canyons at one of the other properties. There are several in the PC area!