Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Using a Money Belt (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/using-a-money-belt-643305/)

lsveinss1 Aug 31st, 2006 07:22 AM

Using a Money Belt

We will be going to Eastern Europe this fall and my husband will be using a money belt to hold papers, passport, credit cards, etc. The instructions that came with it say to wear it "under the pants". How do you get things out of it in public, as in a restaurant? Have we missed somthing in reading the directions?

J_Correa Aug 31st, 2006 08:12 AM

The idea with a money belt is that you use it to hold most of your cash, credit cards, passport, etc. Then you put some cash and a credit card in your pocket for easy access. This way, if someone does pick your pocket, they only get away with a little bit of your money and possibly one credit card. The rest is safe. You can report the credit card stolen and then use your back up card (that was in the money belt) until the new card arrives and get more cash from the ATM.

lcuy Aug 31st, 2006 08:37 AM

I do it like J....enough money in my wallet to cover that day, and all the rest in the belt. And if you have to access it in public, you can just reach down inside your waistline and pull the money out. You could go in the bathroom if you need to, but I found it was pretty easy to do it discretely while seated at a table....if your shirt is NOT tucked in.

suze Aug 31st, 2006 11:11 AM

What is in a money belt is for long-term safe-keeping and yes you wear it *under* your clothing. It should not be visible if worn properly and used correctly.

The idea is to carry anything you will need to access during the day somewhere else (coin purse, pocket, tote, wallet, backpack, etc.)

Do a search over the the Europe branch and you will find there are loads of threads discussing exactly this.

mscarls Aug 31st, 2006 01:16 PM

I use a pouch rather than a belt. It has two loops -- one brown and one black -- to go over one's belt and keep the pouch in place. It's worn inside one's pants. I wear it in the front, so if it is necessary to get something from it, it can be pulled out discreetly and then slipped back in.
I have used it on several trips to Europe and like it.
To see what I am describing, go to the the Magellan's travel supplies web site and look under security items. The item is called a deluxe secret wallet. Stores that carry Eagle Creek accessories might have it as well.

happytrailstoyou Aug 31st, 2006 02:40 PM

There are several kinds of of money "belts."

The one I prefer is constructed like a leather envelope with a zipper. It has a loop through which a belt is slipped.
The "envelope" is secured by the belt.
The "envelope" can be flipped out from under pants for access to its contents.

Another type can be hung around the neck and worn under a shirt, sweater, etc.

A third type (and the one I like least) is a pouch with a zipper that has a ribbon like belt that goes around the waist.

FainaAgain Aug 31st, 2006 02:46 PM

When you guys try to reach something iside of a money belt or pouch, doesn't it look like you are doing something... ummm... "under the pants"?

littlemarysunshine Aug 31st, 2006 04:02 PM

I hope so.

L.M. Sunshine