Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

USA, here's a little inspiration during sad days of Katrina & her aftermath...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now is the time for all to bring positive thoughts forth, I don't know about all of you but I am ready to hear and tell of the positive things I have heard during these dark days that have brought forth so many tears. I will start with these good thoughts:

May these positive thoughts inspire...

~15 million dollars have been donated in the last two days through redcross.org alone. This does not include donations made through their 800 number, or checks by mail. 15 million by the good people of our country just by way of the Red Cross website.

~TEXAS! Opening their doors and providing hope in such an efficient and loving way, God bless all of you.

~Normal citizens opening their homes to the victims of Katrina, offering up all that they have to a family in need.

And these are just off the top of my head, please add your inspiration, please keep this thread filled with the positive thoughts we all so need right now.

God Bless the United States of America.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM

Bless you, Tiff, for reminding us of the good things people do for each other.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks for reminding us why America is the way she is - in times of crisis we come through and all the idiotic lines we've drawn in the sand between each other seem to just blend together and go away. This is what makes us American and what makes me proud to be one. My prayers are with all those who are suffering right now. God bless America.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM

Please remember that everyone in Europe is with you at this terrible time. I was so happy when the initial reports where that New Orleans had survived the worst of the storm, but to see the news since has been heartbreaking. NYC is stronger since 911 and I know that the same will be true of New Orleans, Biloxi and everywhere else affected. It may take a while, but as the Boss said, "Come on, Rise up!"

Alan
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM

Amen, God bless Texas!
M
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM

Well said all-I'm already so sick of the griping between the press and politicians! That's not what Americans are about. Stay strong, give/help as you can and keep praying for all those affected.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM

We here in Louisville KY are opening up our medical centers to the victims. Welcome, we are all praying for you.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM

Home Depot has donated 1.5 million
CVS is donating 250K
Anheuser-Busch is donating several million gallons of bottled water
My company is donating 2 million...

any more out there?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:17 AM

Today I watched videos of ordinary citizens working through the night to axe their way through roofs to help strangers escape from their own attics. A quick handshake and they are on their way to the next home.

Florida universities have stepped forward and offered to accept out of state stranded students (think of all the colleges just in downtown NOLA) - at low residents' rates.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news...rms_hurricane/
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM

Illinois community colleges are also accepting students displaced tuition free...
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:22 AM

Oklahoma City University is also providing free tuition to students from hurricane-affected schools.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:35 AM

The U of Richmond and other Virginia colleges have opened their doors as well. From this mornings paper (Richmond, Va.): Capital One donated $1 million, WellPoint (parent of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Virginia) donated $500k plus a matching program for employees, J. Harwood Cochran, founder of Overnite Transportation walked into a local Red Cross office and wrote a PERSONAL check for $1million.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM

The company I work for has donated 1 million and will match employee donations dollar for dollar up to $250,000. There is tremendous support in the Houston area. It's just so heartbreaking that so many people are still stuck in New Orleans.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM

~Almost everyone I have spoken today through business on the phone has unexpectedly added a "How are you doing today" to their conversation.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM

Thank you Tiff for starting a "positive" thread!!

I have read that families all over the US are listing their unused rooms in their homes for the victims of NOLA. In other words, inviting complete strangers into their homes with the knowledge that these dear people could be with them for possibly months. Of course right now the problem is getting the information to those in need.

In our little city there was an ariticle this morning that a gentleman here in Vacaville has cancelled his and his wives anniversary weekend plans as he belongs to a volunteer Search and Rescue Team. He and his search and rescue dog are on their way with other volunteers. They were flying out of our Travis AFB. And Travis has sent 3 large C5 supply planes with needed items to NO.

SF and the Bay Area churches are responding with money donations, getting supplies to NO in big 18 wheeler trucks. Volunteers are going to be going to the area to assist with taking care of the refugees.

In spite of the horrible stories about looting, carjackings, guns be fired etc. it is good to remember that most people are good and carying. God bless them.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM

On a much, much smaller scale, the teachers at my school contributed a good bit of money and clothing to the relatives of one of our staff who is housing 7 of her family members.

In addition, we are holding a Red Cross drive. I am sure other schools are doing the same.

Thanks, Tiff for starting this thread!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM

Thanks for posting this, Tiff. I believe it is the people who make ripples not waves who give this country its fantastic strength. As all the ordinary people open their homes, their wallets and their hearts one hopes for the same from the obscenely rich sports and entertainment population...not to mention the corporations profiting from this horror.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM

Ohio State University is allowing the Red Cross to collect money before the Ohio State-Texas game on Saturday and before every home Ohio State game in September for hurricane relief. The Horseshoe seats around 105,000 give or take. GO BUCKS!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM

Well said, Tiff! I think that we all need something positive to look at in the light of this awful tragedy.

I have to admit that I am very proud of Texas, and especially my hometown of Houston, for stepping forward to help. I only wish that there was someone in my office to run things right now so that I could go up there and volunteer with the assistance.

God Bless the USA. We will get thru this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -