Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

US Solo Travel for female? Ideas for a few days getaway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am needing to run away a few days. I'm based out of NE Tennessee. I will fly wherever. Where could I safely go spend a few days either seeing some pretty sights, city, whatever? I could go for about 3 nights.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which airport would you fly from? My idea would be to drive to Charlotte (3.5-4 hours?). Park at the Amtrak station (long term-overnight parking). Take the Crescent train (leaves CLT at 2:45AM) to either Birmingham or New Orleans. Take the Crescent back to Charlotte on the return trip. The trip from Charlotte to New Orleans is about 17 hours mostly in daylight.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I have an airport within 20 minutes of me. I dont think I want to ride that long on a train this go round.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"Wherever" & "whatever" won't get you useful guidance. There are any number of ways to find a solution including airline or package sales that include air & hotel if you really don't care where you go or would like to spend less rather than more. You might also check where you can fly non-stop (no time wasted changing planes) from your mystery airport. That's what I'd do first, a list of non-stop flights crosschecked with current air/hotel sales. Otherwise, you must have more thoughts, such as warm, or art, or spa, or or or?
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:42 AM

For just a few day, I prefer to go to a bigger city. Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, DC. You can see a lot in just a few days or just wonder around and relax. I have been to all of these cities in the last few years and I have never felt unsafe in any of them. You do have to use common sense.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like the idea of Chicago -- depending, of course, on the season you go!

Boston is another thought.

Both cities I find fascinating and pretty, with plenty to see and do. Also, they have some amazing art museums and food!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:39 AM

Nobody can offer the best suggestions if you will not tell l what airport it is. Because otherwise it could be anywhere in the world, suppose I said, oh, go to London for 3 days, would you? That might be do-able if you had a nonstop from Boston, for example, but no place that required connections, even in the US or Canada or Mexico, would be that great if you only have 3 days.

ok, let's assume it is Tri-Cities airport, you can only fly nonstop to a few cities, mainly DFW, CLT and ATL. Or Orlando or St Petersburg if you will fly Allegiant Air. So that's pretty limiting on the flight front. Of those, I'd go to Tampa/St Pete. Enough to do there a few days, even have a beach although too cold to go in. And more manageable than a big city. Or, you can fly to Charlotte. that seems about it
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes my airport is tricities but I dont want to be limited to their direct flights because I have been all those places many times. Also the tampa flight is off right now til may. Only orlando is left for allegiant.
I was leaning toward maybe nyc? I havent been since I was a kid. Chicago seems less interesting to me than nyc? But maybe that's just me. I thought about Arizona or west coast but costs are more and longer times.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 06:46 AM

San Francisco

San Diego

Vegas

New Orleans

Destin

Chicago

NYC

Miami

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort

… all depends on the money and things you want to do. I’d start with the airfare and build the trip from there once you figure out if you want to party or just relax during those 3 days.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I've decided on nyc....I am booking an air and hotel package through my airline that is offering a good deal...these are the hotel choices I have:

The stewart hotel

Row nyc

Paramount

Hotel mela

Oyo times square

The Mansfield

Which would be best?
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 02:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If a free breakfast and wifi is important to you, I"d go with the Row. It's only a block from Times Square. Have a great time in NYC!
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Great choice. If you have not been to NYC since 911 and want to see the memorial, I suggest booking the tour at 8:15 in the morning. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny. The tour is limited to 35 people. It is a guided tour. With the limited number of people, it is quiet and the experience is very unlike when they open the doors and hundreds of people flood the museum.