Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   US cities that enforce jaywalking? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/us-cities-that-enforce-jaywalking-449383/)

bachslunch Nov 2nd, 2008 08:16 AM

US cities that enforce jaywalking?

Am thinking it might be useful to know which US cities tourists might visit have a reputation for enforcing jaywalking laws. Many don't seem to, and if I'm in a new city I tend to take my cue from the locals and how they handle it.

Have never directly experienced getting ticketed for jaywalking, but my limited reading in travel books and at travel web sites suggests two that do are Los Angeles and Milwaukee.

suze Nov 2nd, 2008 08:18 AM

Seattle does

nytraveler Nov 2nd, 2008 09:29 AM

I f they enforced jaywalking laws in NYC we would all be in jail permanently.

You can easily tell tourists - since they're the only ones standing on the curb waiting for the light to change. Locals always stand out in the street as far as safe - and start walking as soon as the last car has passed.

Bobmrg Nov 2nd, 2008 10:21 AM

As suze says, if you see someone standing on a corner at 2AM waiting for the light to change, you are in Seattle and that person is a local.

mlgb Nov 2nd, 2008 10:43 AM

Los Angeles enforces it as far as crossing against a "don't walk" signal on a street light (even if there are no cars around).

socialworker Nov 2nd, 2008 11:19 AM

DS's friend got a $140 ticket for jaywalking in LA.

socialworker Nov 2nd, 2008 11:20 AM

Well, now not sure if $40 or $140, upon thinking about it..... :)

mlgb Nov 2nd, 2008 11:38 AM

Probably closer to $120. There's been some recent effort to target areas like Hollywood and Downtown where there are a lot of pedestrians (Yes we actually have such areas). I guess they need to balance the budget somehow.

nstevey Nov 2nd, 2008 12:37 PM

I stick out like a sore thumb in the midwest. I've jaywalked in most of the swing states and haven't gotten a ticket yet. It takes *FOREVER* for the lights to change and when the time allotted for crossing the street is nil.

Most US cities are not pedestrian friendly.

suze Nov 3rd, 2008 11:06 AM

Bobmrg~ That is so true (and made me laugh!).

More than the sneakers or fanny packs, you can tell who's a tourist in Seattle because they are walking against the lights!

rkkwan Nov 3rd, 2008 11:49 AM

With the amount of traffic, speed of traffic, and width of some of the main roads, it's really a good idea to observe all pedestrian signals here in L.A. all the time.

FainaAgain Nov 3rd, 2008 12:00 PM

That's a new approach to travel planning, and I thought I've seen them all: travel to places where laws are not enforced :)

kureiff Nov 3rd, 2008 01:04 PM

Yes, Seattle! My parents were visiting us when we lived there, and my Dad got a ticket for jaywalking near the Bon.

dwooddon Nov 3rd, 2008 03:36 PM

My advice would be to forget whether local police enforce the jaywalking law or not. There are no exemptions from the laws of physics.

Over the years, I have worked dozens, maybe hundreds, of traffic collisions involving vehicles vs. pedestrians. In my experience, the pedestrian always loses.

If you think a jaywalking citation will spoil your vacation, consider what a ton or more of steel bearing down on you will do.

bachslunch Nov 3rd, 2008 04:08 PM

Folks, I'm not making plans to either dash recklessly into oncoming traffic or choose which cities to visit based on whether any cities do or don't ticket for this offense.

But cops in some cities (like Seattle, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, and Portland[OR] it seems) apparently aggressively ticket pedestrians if they attempt to cross in a crosswalk during a "don't walk" signal even if no cars are coming for miles around. Am thinking it would be useful to know which cities do this and plan accordingly. Several cities I've visited in the US and abroad don't seem to ticket anyone for jaywalking under any circumstances.

SiteC_er Nov 3rd, 2008 04:53 PM

Austin & Vegas

chepar Nov 3rd, 2008 05:16 PM

Jaywalking laws are periodically enforced in downtown Honolulu, by policement in uniform and in plain clothes.

As far as Waikiki, where most of the tourists are, I don't know. I know that you have to be really careful driving around Waikiki because of all the jaywalking.