URGENT, Newburgh, NY towards Harrisonburg, hotel on the way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my parents were driving from boston and are now in Newburgh, NY. They will get on I81 and would like to stop for the night, somewhere 3-4 hours after Newburgh, which would be on I81 close to the highway, any suggestions? I would prefer a town that Priceline has hotels in. Thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM

Umm, I don't know the area at all but looked on mapquest. First, they don't direct you to use 81 to get from Boston to Harrisburg, but more importantly, they estimate the time between Newburgh and Harrisburg to be 3 1/2 hrs.

Scranton would seem like a logical answer to this question though. It appears to be at the beginning of I 81. Priceline has a few hotels in Scranton.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM

Newburg to Harrisonburg,VA is just over six hours. Go to freetrip.com and after entering Newburg/Harrisonburg, click on the hotel price range they are interested in. You will find hotels by mileage listed.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM

Since their final destination is Orlando and they want to drive 3-4 hours a day, go to freetrip.com and enter Newburg-Wytheville, VA and click on hotels. This will show hotels for tomorrow night also. Then Enter Wytheville to Orland and select hotel price range. This will give them time, miles, and hotels for the entire trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
J62

Newburgh to Scranton is 2hrs - add a 1hr stop for dinner along the way.

Scranton to Harrisburg PA is another 2.5hrs - easy drive in the am

Agree w/ McLaurie - pick something in Scranton. There isn't much at all between Newburgh and Scranton. About 1hr west of Newburgh there's a place called Apple Valley Restaurant (Milford PA) that is a pleasant family restaurant, just off the highway.

www.applevalleyrestaurant.com

Really nothing else till you get to Scranton.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
aggiemom

I think we're talking about two different places here that might have confused the OP.

Is it Harrisonburg or Harrisburg and what state is it in?

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM

Harrisburg, PA
Harrisonburg,VA
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
J62

I've actually had fun these last two days with this and the companion, Boston thread. Enjoyable to read, and throw in my 2c. Very real time info to a traveller & family looking for help.

I'm even willing to take bets on destination for tomorrow night to get a leg up. My bet is Virginia, close to but not over the NC border.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
J62

Looks like a bunch of replies just got deleted, so my comment above (assuming it's still there) won't make a lot of sense.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM

I agree. A lot of fun for me too, and it makes some sense to do it this way. If my parents were traveling, and we had cellphone communications and I had access to a computer the whole time, that's what I'd do too.

First, not booking ahead means there's more flexibility. And second, one can really save money using Priceline (or get better than the regular motels along the freeway).

I won't recommend doing this during Thanksgiving (or Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend), but in the winter time it's alright.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:36 AM

I misunderstood the original post and thought they were interested in driving in four hour segments, otherwise I would have suggested the Winchester to Woodstock area. Woodstock is 20 minutes south of Strasburg and it takes us about 9 hours to Hardeeville, SC where we stay over on trips south. Pooler, GA and Savannah are another half hour/hour south of that.

Did they stay in the new Ramada Inn in Strasburg?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:35 AM
LN

Hi

I've driven the I-81 route often around Scranton and that would be only abot 2 hours out of Newburgh. If your parents would like to get around 3 or 4 hours from Newburgh I would suggest a really nice Holiday Inn just north of Harrisburg PA. It's approximately 3 1/2 hours from their starting point.

The motel is right off I-81 near the Hershey interchange. Sorry, I don't know the town's name.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:42 AM

LN and others -

Please read this thread to see what's going on:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34724206

The OP's parents left New Brunswick Tuesday and made it to Chelmsford, MA, outside Boston. He got them the Radisson for $30 on Priceline.

Wednesday, they've made it to Strasburg, VA in the Shenandoah Valley despite a late start. They decided to drive past PA and WV into VA.

Tonight, they're thinking about Savannah, GA.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes, out of boston, they took a wrong turn and got lost which caused them a 2 hour delay...but they are still on track..Yes they stayed at the new Ramada In. The rate was 49,95 at the hotel, which was very good as my parents were satisfied with the hotel as it was brand new! The plan for tonight is still SAvannah, I will try and get them the Hyatt with Priceline, hopefully at around 55-60