Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Urgent Help-San Diego Pickwick Hotel! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/urgent-help-san-diego-pickwick-hotel-68222/)

Lim Apr 12th, 2000 03:32 AM

Urgent Help-San Diego Pickwick Hotel!

My wife & I will visit SD for the 1st time next week for 2 days on our way to LA. We're on limited budget of $50-65/nite hotel. Found Pickwick Hotel at 132 W Broadway. Looking for feedback on its neighborhood safetiness to stroll at night and clean. We intend to visit the Zoo & Seaworld in the days, Gaslamp & Oldtown in the evening for dinner. Is Pickwick really close to these places as it claims? Anyone has stayed there before? <BR> <BR>We'll be driving. We are also interested & heard good things abt La Pensione. Does anyone has its URL, phone or fax number? Is Pickwick or La Pensione a better choice? Or any other hotels in the town area? Thank you very much in advance.

julia wells Apr 12th, 2000 03:40 AM

We too have just have returned from SD. <BR>It's a terrific place. Sadly I don't know th hotels you mention, but I'll ask my son who is out there and get back to you. I do know that our hotel bellboy said don't walk at night beyond 6th or 7th St. and I did see four black men harrass a woman during bright daylight on 10th st. It's a great and very classy and quite expensive city. Just watch those bad streets.

Paul Apr 12th, 2000 05:18 AM

Depending where it is on Broadway, the Pickwick could be a problem. I am not familiar with it. For your budget, you can probably find a good room in Mission Valley or Sports Arena area. There are numerous San Diego websites where you can search for rooms in these areas. Even Old Town may have rooms at that price. All of these locations are 5 minutes or so by car to downtown, zoo, beach, etc.

SDSam Apr 12th, 2000 06:17 AM

I live in San Diego. I must admit that I know nothing about that particular hotel. <BR> <BR>The area that it is located in is just fine. You are close to the waterfront which is a great area for strolling. Downtown San Diego is clean and safe. I would stay between 6th and the waterfront. It gets a little seedy above 6th plus there is nothing to see anyway. <BR> <BR>The Pickwick is about 3 blocks from the Gaslamp which is a great area for walking and dining. It is too far to walk to Old Town. There are many other attractions within a few blocks of the Hotel such as Horton Plaza, Seaport Village and of course the waterfront. San Diego's waterfront is very nice and you can walk along it for miles. <BR> <BR>I will forewarn you that your price range is on the low end for downtown San Diego. You may want to check the Ramada downtown. I think that they are fairly reasonable. If the Pickwick is suitable then it would be an excellent choice because of the location. If you do decide on staying there then you must take the ferry to Coronado Island. The ferry is located at the foot of Broadway right next to the pier. <BR> <BR>I do not advise staying in either Mission Valley or the Sport's Arena areas. Misson Valley is safe enough but there is nowhere to walk. The Sport's Arena area also has nothing to offer and it is not the safest area of town. <BR> <BR>Old Town is a viable alternative. It is pretty safe and you can stroll around the area. There is not nearly as much to do or see as downtown but there are some fine restaurants especially if you like Mexican food. The Ramada Inn at Old Town is a good choice that should fall within your budget.

Emily Apr 12th, 2000 06:28 AM

I wouldn't stay at the Pickwick. I've walked past it many times (fast!) when I've been downtown. It's right next to the Greyhound bus depot -- enough said!

Lim Apr 12th, 2000 09:05 AM

I would like to thank all of you for your kind advice. I should have mentioned that we are from Singapore, thus not so familiar with Greyhound bus depot's reputation. Appreciate some enlightenment. <BR> <BR>Also, can Sam pls provide us with Ramada Inn's phone & fax numbers as I couldn't find it online. Hopefully, some of you will read this again. Thank you and looking forward to visiting SD!

Paul Apr 12th, 2000 11:04 AM

You can get information by going to www.uniontrib.com <BR> <BR>Go to visitor information <BR>keyword: Ramada <BR>area: Old Town <BR>It is actually called Ramada Limited - Old Town. <BR> <BR>The price of rooms may be more than you are looking for. As Sam pointed out, you are at the low end of the hotel rates which is why I suggested you look into Mission Valley or Sports Arena area. The area may not be ideal but the price may be right in your situation. <BR> <BR>I don't want to speak for Emily but she probably means that, generally speaking, hotels located next to bus or train stations are usually not in the best section of town and therefore should be avoided if possible.

Emily Apr 12th, 2000 12:51 PM

Paul put it very well. Greyhound is a fine company that offers a valuable service to budget travellers. However, their depots tend to be located in the more run-down sections of town and some of the people who hang around the bus depots (other than the legitimate travellers) might make you a little nervous.

Lim Apr 12th, 2000 05:25 PM

Paul & Emily, thank you again for your valuable feedback. We will try to look for another place where possible. Fodor's forum really works!

Lim Apr 13th, 2000 01:10 AM

Paul, thanks for the www.uniontrib.com URL, I found La Pensione's contact no. which I've heard good feedback of, it is located at downtown Little Italy. So we wil be staying there. For others whom may want to book online with La Pensione, they can look it up at www.placestostay.com. <BR> <BR>Emily, thanks again for your tips about the Greyhound depot.

SDSam Apr 14th, 2000 09:25 AM

Generally it is true that bus depots and the surrounding area are not in the best parts of town. However that is not true in San Diego. There is nothing wrong with the area around the Greyhound Bus Depot. However I will reserve judgement on the Pickwick hotel though I suspect that it is not the best.