Chicago Christmas Stuff w/teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Cincinnati to Chicago for two nights this week (Thurs and Fri) to have some holiday fun in another city. We have a boy (11), and two girls (14 and 15). What are your top recommendations for us to do? We've all been to the city before (bean, Willis Tower, pizza, architectural boat tour, Garrett's popcorn, navy pier, Shedd's, MOSI, etc). Thinking of a show (would love Hamilton but pricey for us all so maybe Blue Man?), Christmas market (which one?), walking along Michigan, ??
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 07:12 AM

Try for the Hamilton lottery. And then if you don’t get it, got to the theater around 1 pm “day of” - at 3:30 they release lottery tix that weren’t claimed. We got tickets in Row 7 center orchestra that way, and so did a family of 5 in front of us (they actually were in row 3). In all, 13 people scored tix for face value.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 08:41 AM

You've been to MSI before, but have you seen the annual Christmas Around the World Exhibit? The display includes 50 trees decorated to represent various cultures around the world: https://www.msichicago.org/explore/w...und-the-world/

You could also visit Zoo Lights at the Lincoln Park Zoo. The Number 151 bus stops at the zoo gate: http://www.lpzoo.org/zoolights-prese...es-qqq-invesco

Visit the Christkindlmarket on Daley Plaza, then walk over to Macy's on State to see the windows and head to the eighth floor gallery to see the Great Tree in the Walnut Room (but eat elsewhere). Also see the tree at 900 N Michigan.

For shows, check the League of Chicago Theatres' site at: www.chicagoplays.com. The League also operates the Hot Tix booths that offer discounts to several shows. If you don't manage Hamilton tickets, you could try for the Joffrey Ballet's production of The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol at the Goodman, Peter Pan in Evanston, Billy Elliot or Beautiful: The Carole King Musical..
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Kids those ages would love Blie Man and so will you. Of course try for Hamilton too.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 12:08 PM

This is just me (and my DH) - I'd rather have spent $800 on a ticket to Hamilton than one dime on Blue Man Group. We could not have been more bored.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM

Well, tomorrow night, I'd watch either Ferris Buehler's Day Off.

And then I'd go to the Art Institute and check out the things from the movie. Recreate the poses. (Well, don't get as close to the painting as Ferris does, or you will be setting off alarms.) Don't forget the Chagall windows.

And if you have time, stop by the medieval armor and the miniatures just because.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 07:31 AM

Seconding Citylghts recs, though I've not been to the zoo.

Loyola University Museum of Art "Luma" is right downtown and I believe has a christmas/creche exhibit right now, in addition to its small but excellent small collection.

Here is a thread I started and added to about less well known excursions. We did make it to the Robie House last spring and the sky chapel near the loop.

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...m#last-comment