Search

"Upscale" Boston Hotel with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Upscale" Boston Hotel with Kids

Hi,

We're thinking of travelling to Boston for 3 nights labor day weekend w/ a 2 year old & a 4 year old. Of course I want to stay in a "nice" hotel, doesn't everyone?! But I also want it to kid-friendly. I want to feel like they are welcome and not just tolerated. I have heard the Ritz & Four Seasons chains are both kid friendly. Has anyone stayed at either in Boston with such young kids?

I'd ideally like some sort of suite so if the kids go to bed early we can watch tv or something. They can sleep on a pull out couch or cot and/or pack n play. Also an indoor pool would be great! So, do you know if there is a hotel that meets my needs besides Ritz or 4 Seasons, or do you think those are my best bets?

I did live in Boston for 5 years, but never had need to stay in hotels, so I'm just not that familiar with them! Would not want to be too far downtown, closer to Newbury St would be better, or around the Common is fine.

On budget, I know these hotels are expensive! I think I saw the 4 seasons at $600/night - I'd rather keep it under $500, but may splurge more if it's the perfect thing.

Any thoughts? And thanks in advance for your help!

Christine
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I meant to ask, can someone explain to me what is up with the new ritz and the old ritz? Does the old ritz have a new name? Would that also be kid friendly? I think I'd prefer the old one based on location if I had to choose.
Thanks again.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

The original Ritz is now known as Taj Boston.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Have you checked out the Eliot? They have nice suites and often run specials that time of year.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Book now, tons of people in Boston that weekend as they drop their kids off for college.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM

I missed your dates. Yes, book now - Boston is a busy place with all the college students and families returning.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Marriot Long Whartf
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Old Ritz overlooks the Boston Gardem and is now called the Taj.
The NEW building downtown is the Ritz.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM

http://www.tajhotels.com/Luxury/Taj%...on/default.htm

note: kids suite
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...n/Default.html
This is the new. The taj changed the name of the old Ritz after purchase.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM

We love the Marriott Long Wharf. Stay on the Concierge Level on the top floor. Great view of the Harbor, kids can enjoy the breakfasts and snacks, and it is in a great location. It's a block from Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and across from the Aquarium, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...tt-long-wharf/
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM

We stayed in the kids' suite at the old Ritz when our girls were about the age that your children are now. The suite was great but the hotel as a whole was a little stuffy; I don't know if that has changed with the new ownership.

A few years later we spent a weekend in a suite at the Four Seasons when the girls were 8 and 5. The weather that weekend was miserable, so we spent plenty of time in the hotel's indoor pool which they really enjoyed. We found the Four Seasons to be quite accomodating to kids and generally less stuffy than the old Ritz.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM

I second a stay at the Four Seasons. We stayed there in May (2 kids under 2) and they were really accomendating. Had real cribs, brought up cereal, milk and cookies, and a really cute kids pack (with ducks and a stuffed dog), plus diapers, wipes and and kids toiletries. It was close to the park where they had a blast chasing the ducks, there is a play structure and of course the Swan Ride. They also spent a lot of time looking out the window, watching the cars and people go by in the park. The pool was great, esp. if you hit rainy weather. I would chose the location of Four Seasons and Ritz over the location of the Wharf with toddlers.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info! I actually did stay at the Marriott Long Wharf once - the night my husband proposed! So that could be sort of sentimental. I'll look into that, though I prefer the location of the Four Seasons or Taj. Thanks for the info on the new ownership, by the way! I knew I had read something about that.

Thanks a million!

Christine
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I keep replying to myself!

I did book the Four Seasons based on the recommendations here. Just in case someone else books in the future, I wanted to say that I checked online and called the 800 number and wasn't finding the type of suite I was looking for. I called the "617" number for the hotel directly and found a jr. executive suite with a king size bed and a full size pull out sofa for $795/night. More than I originally wanted to spend, but better than 2 rooms at $635 each that the 800 # reservationist was trying to sell me on! I think we're going to be happy.

Thanks one more time for your help.

Christine
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Christine, if you are looking for a nice/fancy restaurant to eat at that is relatively kid friendly. Via Matta, which is right behind the Four Seasons, has excellent Italian food (great tasting menu) and we always see children there for the first seating (plus it gets really loud so no one can hear your kids). They will also cook a nice pasta dish for the kids.