Reload this Page >

Upper-middle class suburbs near Dallas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Wendy

Which Dallas (and Fort Worth) suburbs are considered upper-middle class? Not the $400,000 home areas, but not run-down areas, either. Can anyone help? I'll be staying in the area for a few months and would prefer to explore areas similar to those that I'm comfortable in. I've heard Frisco ranks pretty far up there, but it's actually more upper class than I'm looking for. Any ideas?
Thank you!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 05:22 PM
aceplace

Try Richardson, for some older suburban neighborhoods that aren't priced sky high. Also, try Plano.

The Dallas suburbs are so populous (100,000-300000 people) that they contain neighborhoods at many different price points. So it depends on what you define as Upper-Middle class.

If you can access a Dallas newspaper, preferably a Sunday edition, you can look at the ads for houses and see where the prices are to your liking.

Good luck....

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
eric

Rec: Plano. Nice area, lots of restaurants and families. Seemed to have a lot of activities and upper middle class. Right near a number of interstate highways and toll roads as well. Seemed to be a little distance to DFW, but not too bad.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Polly

My sis lives in Big D--I know Plano is popular. Her sister-in-law lives in Colleyville, which is supposed to be nice. I visited her house, though, and all the houses in the neighborhood looked alike to me, since everything is relatively new.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Wendy

Thanks! Are there any nice suburbs South of Dallas, Southwest of Fort Worth, etc., or is the North side the best (as far as what I'm looking for)?

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:22 AM
M-Kay

Wendy:

I can only speak to the Dallas portion of your question -- since I've been here a good 20-something years, Dallas suburbs have rapidly grown & developed towards the northern half of the city. Suburbia towards the south (Lancaster, Cedar Hill) can be nice --- I think there's more middle class areas rather than "upper" middle class. And also, you're more likely to find ethnically diverse neighborhoods in southern sector. I don't want to portray the northern 'burbs as lilly white as there are mixed neighborhoods. Another significant difference is the availability of private schools & quality of public schools --- in Dallas itself (DISD) the public school system has serious drawbacks. Finally, one more difference between north/south 'burbs are the shopping malls. And since shopping is one of DFW's more outstanding characteristics, that can be very important. No matter where you are in metroplex, you can find a mall to 'shop 'til you drop'; malls in northern sector are better (& plentiful!).

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Wendy

M-Kay,

Thanks! That's the kind of answer I needed!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
linda

Depends on what you're looking for -- good public schools in Flower Mound, Grapevine/Colleyville. Peaceful in McKinney -- but a rather far commute. Plano and Arlington are both overgrown and too crowded, IMO. Wouldn't live in either place. Stay away from Garland, Mesquite, or Lancaster -- not fun places.

Stay north!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Ginny

I've heard that Cedar Hill is really nice, lots of hills, the lake, etc. One of my friends lived in Frisco for a few years and said Cedar Hill isn't a very safe place. I'd like to get a second opinion about the town. Please tell me what its like. Thanks!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:43 AM
x

I live in far eastern Collin Co. between Sachse and Wylie in a new planned community called Woodbridge.
Woodbridge and Sachse/Wylie in general are new areas with the population growing fast. I live 3 blocks from the Woodbridge golf course in a great, brand new Highland home (2000 SF) which cost me 147,000.
We LOVE it out here.
No matter what anyone tells you, Cedar Hill and all the towns south of Dallas are high crime areas.
Be sure you look up the crime stats of each area you look at. Sachse and Wylie have very little crime and a very HIGH cop/citizen ratio... they intend to keep it that way. Another great thing about this area is the fact that they have maintained the small town feel. Lots of parades, fairs, rodeos, etc...
We are in Collin Co so that means we are in Wylie ISD which is an awesome school district.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:46 AM
DB

I've seen Plano Texas in the news several times. Always seemed to be about its heroin problem among high schoolers.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:03 AM
x

That's the problem with upper middle class suburbs. Bored rich kids with the money to spend on drugs. But that was several years ago. Plano's school district is highly rated.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:34 AM
sandi

Try Lakewood or other parts of East Dallas..near White Rock lake too. I live off Central (75) and Knox-Henderson. It's a very old neighborhood, houses were built in the 1920's and are being rennovated. I've lived in Lakewood for over 12 years and love it.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
X

Lakewood is a great area. I am NOT crazy about the schools, though.
If you live in the DISD it is best if you can afford private schools... especially around the Gaston/Swiss Avenue area!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:59 AM
sister

Richardson, McKinney, Grapevine, Southlake, Colleyville, Flower Mound, Highland Village.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong w/ Mesquite exactly? My aunt and uncle live there so that's where we were thinking of transferring to. To be around family, etc. Let me know!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Cassidy, if your family lives there and you want to be close to them, then Mesquite will be fine for you. I grew up there, and I can say the city has gone downhill in the last 5 years. The schools are still very good, and houses are mostly older and affordable, although there are a few new developments.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:10 AM

ChristyP,
I think I saw some of your advice on another thread....did you mention Preston Hollow and/or White Rock River (?). Those areas sounded interesting to me. I like older areas w/ more potential for character....but 1. are they near to Mesquite? and 2. They didn't come up on realtor.com? Are they cities or "areas"? Thanks for all help!!!
Cassidy
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Cassidy, both of those are areas of Dallas, not separate cities, so they won't show up on Realtor.com. If you're looking for good schools, be forewarned that both areas are part of DISD.

The White Rock Lake area, AKA Lakewood, Forest Hills, and Casa Linda, is the easternmost part of Dallas that actually borders Mesquite. If you like older homes with character and are willing to buy one that might need a little work, there are plenty available. The area is increasing in popularity as it gets "rediscovered."

Preston Hollow is a gorgeous area, but pretty pricey. It's not terribly far from Mesquite along 75 south of 635.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Ani

I lived in Plano for 2 years and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Just my 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -