Portland to San Franciso...in January

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland to San Franciso...in January

Howdy all!

My wife and I are looking to visit some Family in Portland Oregon around the middle of January and then maybe take a bit of scenic drive down to the San Francisco area to another destination. Can anyone tell me how safe that trip might be that time of year? I know I have heard some of the roads in northern CA and OR can get nasty in the winter. I see 5 would be the freeway to take. Is that well kept in the winter? Would it be better to take another route due to weather OR simply to get a more scenic view during the trip (like perhaps 101)?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I-5 is definitely kept open in the winter - has to be, lots of trucks use it, it's the major road corridor on the west coast between California and Portland and Seattle.

But if there's a big storm, the passes in southern Oregon on I-5 can temporarily shut down and traffic stops or at least slows way down. You are required to carry chains for your wheels, and if you have to put them on, you and the traffic in front of you will move very slowly for a while.

If there are no storms, you will be fine, as long as you have those chains just in case. (Learn how to put them on before you leave!)

US 101 is an option, but it is a fairly slow alternative even in good weather, because it goes through lots of Oregon Coast towns where the speed limit slows down as slow as 20mph. 101 has some breathtaking scenery, but in the winter, it could be fogged in anyway...another potential driving hazard I guess.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

We would be driving a rental car, any idea by chance if rental car agencies would provide such a thing? If not, would a hardware place be the best place to get those? Chains on wheels due to snow is a strange concept to me...when it snows in the midwest we just drive on it.

Thanks, VERY helpful!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Good advice. i would call the rental company and find out what they have available for you...
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

If no dice at the rental agency, is a hardware store a good option I would imagine?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM

If you're wondering where to buy chains, everyone in Northern California carries them - hardware stores, Kragen Auto Parts, Orchard Supply Hardware, Home Depot, etc. If you don't know how to put them on (or if you don't want to, and believe me, I'd never even consider trying), just pay the "chain monkeys" (that's what they're called) to do it for you.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Check with the rental company about chains; I've heard that damage coverage to the car may be voided if the damage occurs while using chains.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I second Michael's advice: check with the rental company if they allow chains.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Ah, I had never thought of that, but that is a great point. How could they possibly NOT allow chains when you are REQUIRED to have chains to drive certain places? I wouldn't put it past them though I suppose. Good heads up. Good team effort on this post too!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM

The rental companies will rent out 4X4 SUVs at a much higher price.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Since you are renting a car in Portland (I re-read your post - sorry), the rental car companies almost surely will have chains by request in the winter; perhaps they'll even bring it up. Even in the Portland area, chains are routinely needed (even "required" - though I don't know how that would be enforced) at least once or twice a year. Last year, we had more than a week of heavy snow (rare!) in Portland and chains were needed on the freeways several days in a row. We don't use salt on the roads in Oregon so chains are needed more often than you would in states where they simply pour salt on the roads.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM

After re-reading your post...I think I might suggest flying to San Francisco from PDX instead of driving. I-5 is not very scenic in any weather (Mt. Shasta near the OR-CA border is nice, though). It's about 10 hours drive each way in perfect weather. Southwest and Alaska often have very cheap flights into the Bay Area. SFO is often not the best airport to fly into - try Oakland or even Sacramento (90 minutes from San Francisco on I-80) and rent a car.

Right now Southwest is offering fares in January of $69 each way (non-stop) per person to fly into Sacramento. That would save you two long days of driving over some not particularly scenic interstate - and with the gas prices, you may not save much money by driving. Only if you wanted to drive up the Oregon Coast on 101 (add an extra day) and hope it's not foggy would it really be worth it, in my opinion.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM

>>

They definitely enforce it in California. If chains are required, you will not be allowed to pass the checkpoint unless you have them (or a 4-wheel drive, usually).
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM

"and then maybe take a bit of scenic drive down to the San Francisco area to another destination."

In another post you were inquiring about Safari West near Santa Rosa.
If Santa Rosa is near the "another destination"
you are referring to, you can fly direct from Portland to Santa Rosa (STS)and pick up a rental car at STS.

R5
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM

As I recall, when Siskiyou Pass is closed due to snow they have big gates just like railroad crossing gates that come down across the road....well before you start up the hill to the pass. When the pass is open but chains are required, I'm sure that both the Oregon and California state cops are right on it. However, before I ever hit the road when snow might have posed a problem I went to the http://video.dot.ca.gov/ to take a look at the northern California web cams.

The last sentence was past tense because we always take 101 these days.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

You say you are looking for a scenic drive. Then, that would be the coastal route, Hwy 101 along the Oregon Coast and through the California redwoods. It can rain in January but only in the worst storms would you need chains on some of the higher passes and you shouldn't be driving then anyway.

If you have the time, say three or four days, then the coastal route might be the way to go.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most rental agencies do not allow chains - and void your insurance if you install them. Unless it is an unusually HEAVY snow fall, you could rent a 4wd - but if you wait til the last minute they will likely all be rented out.

If the is a winter storm - you don't want to be driving I-5 in southern OR or northern CA. If there is a nasty/wet winter storm you don't want to be driving 101/hwy 1.

There is no way to know if there will be a rainy or snowy winter storm during your stay -- until a few days before you arrive.

Then again - it could be totally fine/clear weather. Since you can't know ahead of time, I'd fly to SF and tour around from there instead of driving from Portland to SF.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Man, lots of great info. Yes razzle, Santa Rosa is the true final destination...for a night anyhow. Then we might make our way to San Fran. Sacramento is not far at all from Santa Rosa so I like the cheap flight tip there too! I'm going to have to talk with the wife. I think I have ruled out 5 as one of our options...if we are going to drive that far, it is going to be for potential scenery (despite the numerous stop lights...thanks for the warning) and redwoods is something my wife has always wanted to see. I will have to see if she wants to roll the die and try the scenic route or if she wants to just plan on flying. Decisions decisions. It seems clear that if we do the scenic route, even with good weather, we will probably want to get a hotel 1/2 way there or 2/3 there. Does anyone have any input on the 101 route as far as particular things to see? Who knows, another particular sight/attraction might tip the scales.

ALSO, I see from my handy google map of the potential 101 route that as we get closer to San Fran (actually Santa Rosa), 101 runs in further east and away from the coast. It appears if we continued to hug the coast and hop off 101, it would add 2 hours of drive time. Are there any views/attractions in those two hours that would be worth that extra detour or would it kinda be more of the same? Hopefully that makes sense. I am getting ahead of myself a bit I suppose but appreciate the opinions! Geez, ask a question about something in Michigan and you wait a month for a reply (if any). I've gotta get my fellow Michiganders on fodors more!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I live in Grants Pass, 60 miles from the CA border on I-5. I would like to suggest drive down I-5, then cut over on 99 at Grants Pass to the Calif. coast, beautiful redwoods. Then a drive down the coast to San Francisco. Yes it could be rainy, but still beautiful scenery. I-5 can be closed due to snow, but usually just a half day, and that could give you time to explore Ashland if you decide to go that way. I know rental companies do not encourage chains because of possible damage to the car. Being from Michigan you are no doubt use to driving in snow! Well, that is my two cents! Enjoy
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I 5 is fine. you are listening to people who never leave the northern 1/3 of the state, Rogue excepted.
And it is quite scenic by midwestern standards. I'd drive and enjoy the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -