Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Upper MI - Need help with Leelanau Wineries and Mackinac Ferry and Restaurant Info

Search

Upper MI - Need help with Leelanau Wineries and Mackinac Ferry and Restaurant Info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts

On Sun, we leave for Traverse City and would like to visit some wineries on the Leelanau Peninsula. There appear to be 12 to choose from. Any better, prettier or more interesting than another?

We also plan to day trip to Mackinac Isle and was wondering how ofter the ferries run, whether you need a reservation this time of year, and whether we need to know anything else about the ferry. Finally, any recommendations for lunch on Mackinac Isle? Not sure we're the buffet types. Looking for something nice with good food being the most important factor. Thank you!

Dave
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 3 different ferry lines and they all have websites:
http://www.mackinacferry.com/
http://www.arnoldline.com/
http://www.sheplersferry.com/

Ferries run every half hour with one of the lines throwing in a few extra runs during the peak midday times. No reservations are needed, in fact if you purchase your tickets in advance you don't even specify a particular day. There are various coupons and offers on the websites.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM

My husband and I are planning our northern michigan trip right now, and numerous people have recommended The Woods restaurant on Mackinac. It's run by the Grand Hotel. Admittedly we haven't eaten there yet, so I can't verify if it's good, but we're already planning on dinner there ourselves!
http://www.grandhotel.com/otherhotelrestaurants.html

Apprently it's on the other side of the island, so you could take a carriage or bike there.

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Hi, Blackstar Farms is worth a stop; it's a beautiful facility. I've heard they've added a cheese making operation since I was there also.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:09 PM

The Island House Hotel (overlooking the harbor)has a very good restaurant, the Govner's Dining Room. Their specialties are prime rib and seafood. The Woods (mentioned above) is located at Stonecliff Resort. Another good choice would be the Point Dining Room at Mission Point Resort.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM

We went to Blackstar Farms - it was absolutely gorgeous. They have beautiful grounds & all the makings of a romantic picnic basket. They make cheese on-site. We also sampled ice wine there.

Our favorite, though, was Chateau Chantal on the Old Mission Peninsula. We also enjoyed Chateau Grand Traverse. If you get a chance check out the wineries on that route. We really enjoyed them. The views of Grand Traverse Bay were wonderful.We also stopped at the beach and Old Mission Lighthouse before making our way back to Traverse City. (Don't miss the Old Mission General Store, too).
Outside of TC was a little town called Elk Rapids - the owner of our B&B recommended a restaurant there called Pearl's. It was cajun food and was very good and certainly an unexpected find.
On Mackinac Island, we had a wonderful time (stayed at Island House), but never had a particularly fabulous meal. We did go to the Grand Hotel lunch - the views and tour were well worth it. We also spent an evening at Horn's Gaslight Bar & Restaurant. They served good drinks and snacks. It was a lively place.

Enjoy your trip. I wish I was going!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanx for all your help! Fodorites are the best.

Dave