Upcountry Maui

Oct 8th, 2002, 12:20 PM
thairish23

Upcountry Maui

i found a beautiful secluded cottage in Makawao. is this a good central location in Maui? In other words, is it far away from the beaches that have all the activities? For instance, we would like to go deep sea fishing, and snuba. How long would it take us?

Oct 8th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Maggi

We passed through Makawao on our way to Haleakala from Paia. I believe it is about 1/2 to drive from Paia (which is the starting point for the road to Hana). This part of Maui is more secluded and there is more nature than the more commercial Kaanapali area, but there are not as many "activities" either. There are some good surfing beaches around Paia. We saw surfers, windsurfers and kite surfers. I'm guessing you will probably drive at least an hour to get to south Maui for your other activities.

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Nova

Yes, it is far from the beaches that have all the activities !!!

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:07 PM
JJSoon

Hello,

I will staying in the upcountry too (KULA). I picked Kula because of its central location. Beaches are about 20-40 mins away (depending on which beach) H. Natl Park is right around the bend. Cut's boring part of the Road to Hana making the drive less extraneous.

Driving 30 mins isn't a big deal for a New Yorkers -- we usually drive 30-1 hr to work everyday anyway. Plus its driving in Maui!

That's just my take on Kula.

JJSoon

Search this Thread