Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Upcoming trip to Anchorage.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/upcoming-trip-to-anchorage-698698/)

magnumholmes Apr 20th, 2007 06:37 PM

Upcoming trip to Anchorage....

For those who have been to Anchorage, I have some questions.

1. How many days would you recommend, but keep in mind we can only spend up to six?

2. Give me some good ideas on what the quality things are to do there. I know I can research online, but having people who have experienced the attractions first hand is better. Such as Whale Watching, Iceberg cruises, Denali Park, etc..... Anything you think would be worthwhile. Just so you know, we have been to Mount Rushmore more than once and love it, Crazy Horse Monument on the Volksmarch, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Pike's Peak, Seven Falls, Niagara Falls, etc. So we like the outdoorsy-type trips, just not all of ours are like this.

Anything you could recommend?

3. Should we rent a car for the duration of the trip, or should we go on guided tours?

Thanks

This is planned on being the second leg of our journey, the other being to Edmonton.

abram Apr 20th, 2007 06:55 PM

We liked the Alaska Native Heritage Center, Earthquake Park, and the Archorage Museum of Art & History.

Denali Park is several hours from Anchorage by car or train, but IMHO, worth the trip.

dfrostnh Apr 21st, 2007 02:51 AM

Rent a car. I loved the saturday market in downtown Anchorage. The trolley tour gave a quick, overview of the city. Independence Mine north of Anchorage would make a nice day trip while staying overnight in Anchorage. Keep in mind that the first hour on the highway is very suburban and could be a lot of traffic during commuting hours. But the mine will be a different place entirely, great history, nice views and chance to stop by a glacier stream. Then alot two nights in Seward. Head south from Anchorage on what should be a 3 hour drive but can easily take a full day. Very beautiful scenery plus interesting stops along the way. Schedule a full day Kenai Fjords cruise. You'll be back in time for dinner. Expand your time in the Anchorage and Seward areas depending on how much hiking you want to do. When you go to Independence Mine you can also do a short stop at Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla. Because you only have 6 days I would not try to fit in Denali because of the amount of time you would have to spend in the car to get there. Depending on when you are visiting the Seward area you might also watch some salmon fishing. It might only be a 15 minute stop but it's things like that that can make the 3 hr drive to Seward take a whole day. Along the way: tram ride up Alyeska, Portage Glacier visitors center, wildlife center, etc.

magnumholmes Apr 23rd, 2007 12:08 PM

Rent a car.
>>>>> Yeah, that's what we plan on doing.

Independence Mine north of Anchorage would make a nice day trip while staying overnight in Anchorage. Keep in mind that the first hour on the highway is very suburban and could be a lot of traffic during commuting hours. But the mine will be a different place entirely, great history, nice views and chance to stop by a glacier stream.

>>>>> That sounds pretty interesting.

Then alot two nights in Seward. Head south from Anchorage on what should be a 3 hour drive but can easily take a full day. Very beautiful scenery plus interesting stops along the way.
>>>>What do you mean it could take a full day?

Schedule a full day Kenai Fjords cruise. You'll be back in time for dinner.

>>>>> What do you do on the cruise? Glaciers? Whales?

Expand your time in the Anchorage and Seward areas depending on how much hiking you want to do. When you go to Independence Mine you can also do a short stop at Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla.
>>>>>>>Iditarod headquarters sounds neat.

Because you only have 6 days I would not try to fit in Denali because of the amount of time you would have to spend in the car to get there.
>>>> Just how long is the drive to Denali? Are there any tours worthwhile going to Denali?

Depending on when you are visiting the Seward area you might also watch some salmon fishing. It might only be a 15 minute stop but it's things like that that can make the 3 hr drive to Seward take a whole day. Along the way: tram ride up Alyeska, Portage Glacier visitors center, wildlife center, etc

>>>>>>Sounds like you know a lot about Alaska. Any other pointers you can give me will, I sure, be most helpful.

Thanks

dfrostnh Apr 24th, 2007 02:57 AM

Rent a car.
>>>>> Yeah, that's what we plan on doing.
... if your budget allows you can also take a commuter flight i.e. from Anchorage to Homer or Kenai but you miss the spectacular drive
Independence Mine north of Anchorage would make a nice day trip while staying overnight in Anchorage. Keep in mind that the first hour on the highway is very suburban and could be a lot of traffic during commuting hours. But the mine will be a different place entirely, great history, nice views and chance to stop by a glacier stream.

>>>>> That sounds pretty interesting.

Then alot two nights in Seward. Head south from Anchorage on what should be a 3 hour drive but can easily take a full day. Very beautiful scenery plus interesting stops along the way.
>>>>What do you mean it could take a full day?
... it's up to you and whether you take the time to look for mountain sheep. If the tide is right you could see whales. The highway runs along the ocean/inlet. In late July, you might see salmon fishing along Bird Creek that runs under the Seward Hwy. It's fascinating to watch. You can see all the fish swimming in the clear water. Even in late July there will probably be snow at the top of Mt Alyeska. Take the tram ride up. There's telescopes you can use and something like 7 glaciers you can see.
Schedule a full day Kenai Fjords cruise. You'll be back in time for dinner.

>>>>> What do you do on the cruise? Glaciers? Whales?
... on the longest trip you get pretty close to some glaicers. The boat will stop so you can hear everything. If you're lucky a huge piece will break off. If you're not lucky (we weren't) you can see a great video at the Portage Glacier visitors center on the way to Seward. (Also great recordings of people describing their experiencs during the great earthquake.) You will also see orcas, other whales, lots of different birds, sea lions, etc. The boat will slow down or stop whenever there is something interesting to see. The captain will narrate.

Buy a Milepost, THE guide to Alaska. All the things you can see and do are listed by route. Also good idea just to do a search here on Fodors to see what everyone else has been recommending.
Expand your time in the Anchorage and Seward areas depending on how much hiking you want to do. When you go to Independence Mine you can also do a short stop at Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla.
>>>>>>>Iditarod headquarters sounds neat.

Because you only have 6 days I would not try to fit in Denali because of the amount of time you would have to spend in the car to get there.
>>>> Just how long is the drive to Denali? Are there any tours worthwhile going to Denali?
... About 236 miles. After you get past Wasilla (about an hour north of Anchorage) the drive is nice but long without many distractions. No restaurants until you get to Talkeetna. If you are on limited time, I can't justify that much time in the car compared to driving south of Anchorage. Once you are at the park you take guided tours via bus. You cannot drive all the way into the park.

Depending on when you are visiting the Seward area you might also watch some salmon fishing. It might only be a 15 minute stop but it's things like that that can make the 3 hr drive to Seward take a whole day. Along the way: tram ride up Alyeska, Portage Glacier visitors center, wildlife center, etc

>>>>>>Sounds like you know a lot about Alaska. Any other pointers you can give me will, I sure, be most helpful.
... deep fried halibut is wonderful. Too early in the year, salmon is not on some restaurant menus. There are many recipes for smoked salmon. That are places you can taste samples. Have pizza a the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. It's convenient to the Seward Hwy. Eat outside. Try the beer sampler.