Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Universal City/CityWalk/LA....need some advice!

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to LA with my 17 year old Goddaughter visiting from Slovakia. It's her first time in the US. We'll only be in LA a few days, with a lot to do...so just trying to decide what are the best choices. I should mention, I have a severe back injury, so I can't ride any rides at Universal with her, although a friend may come along who can ride with her. How long should we plan on spending there? Will it take up a full day? Is it worth it, or is it abnoxiously touristy? If anyone can provide some info, I'd be very thankful! And, if you have any other suggestions....we're staying in Santa Monica. Thanks!!!!!!

Andiamo
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:53 AM
P_M

I have been to Universal twice and I enjoyed it very much. There are some rides you can take, as they move slowly and there's no jolting. I'm sure the workers there can tell you which rides are suitable for you. I highly recommend the tram tour, which is an attraction you can enjoy with her.

Another place she might like is the Santa Monica pier. If she's into American movies, then a visit to Hollywood is a must. Have fun.
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Univ has the Lucy Museum which is great for any Lucy fan, and some "attractions" where you just sit and watch, not really "ride". (Not sure if sitting for a half-hour show is okay with your back or not.) Plus, the ride from Santa Monica can take an hour or more in traffic.

I'd say allow 4 hours for actual time at Universal, but you can "do it" in 3 if you skip the rides. There is also a "tram tour" that is the main attraction, seeing the movie studio.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice! I emailed my Goddaughter, and she seemed to be THRILLED! I plan on renting a wheelchair so I can alternate between sitting and standing. 1/2 hour sitting would be fine. Thanks for the advice about the rides. I sent her the website and she said she wants to go on Jurassic Park, the Mummy and Shrek. Does anyone know if I can go with her or if the rides are too physical for my back?

Thanks for advice about the SM pier. I thought we'd go there in the evening since it's near the hotel. Is it safe there in the evenings?

Thanks everyone for great advice! I do appreciate it!!!!

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:15 AM
ssm

I am not sure exactly how bad your back is but I can tell you that the Jurassic Park ride does throw you a bit. The Mummy is a lot less tame. Shrek is more like watching a 3-d movie. All are great but Shrek is my personal fave.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I think even the tram ride around the park might shake and rattle a bit, no? Don't they stop at one point and pretend your tram is caught in an earthquake or something? I'd ask the attendant before trying ANYTHING.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM

The Jurassic Park is in a boat so it's pretty tame. The end of the ride is a steep drop with a big splash, which might bother your back. The tram tour takes you through a NY street set where they simulate an earthquake, and across a rickety bridge where the tram drops a few inches to simulate a collapse, but neither should be worrisome for you.

Apart from the rides, I think your Goddaughter might enjoy City Walk more than Universal Studios: lots of fun shops, interesting street vendors and performers.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. It has been REALLY helpful for me! I will ask the employees about the rides...thanks for the heads up on the Jurassic park ride with the water drop....might be a problem. I know we'll have a fun day. I appreciate everyone's advice!