Notices

Universal & Islands of Adv. Where to stay

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal & Islands of Adv. Where to stay

Can anyone recommend a decent place for a family of four - near Universal Studios Islands of Adventure? Budget is appx. $100/night. Free shuttle svc. would be a plus. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Addition: I keep seeing that it's really worth it to stay on site at Universal - for the FOTL pass. Is this still true? Maybe my budget should increase?? Is there anywhere under $200??
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Yes, it is worth staying on site for the unlimited express pass. YOu can sometimes get hotel discounts if you have AAA or if you get an annual pass to Universal. For great info go to:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
GoTravel

Yes, so totally worth it. You can see the parks in a fraction of the time and ride the rides you love multiple times while everyone else is standing in line.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Yes, totally worth it. There are 2 hotels on site, the Royal Pacific is the least expensive. Not sure what time of year you're going but you may be able to get it for $200.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Actually there are three on site hotels...the Hard Rock Hotel, the Royal Pacific Resort, and the Porofino Bay Hotel.
Go to the Universal website and click on one of the hotels. Then put in the dates you want to stay there. There are some super saver rates that might come up. You could also call the hotels and see if there are any discounts available for your dates.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM

You could also decide to spend one or two nights in the park hotel and then move off site. The day you check in and the day you check out will have front of the line passes.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Sorry, I meant 3! I've stayed at the Hard Rock and enjoyed it but it's probably out of your price range.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM

There are lots of cheap hotels in Kissimmee, but you will be farther away. It depends on how you value the convenience of staying right near the attractions--as opposed to the increased price.

Sort of like the great debate over staying in Disney and paying through the nose or staying off the reservation, paying less with more inconvenience.

Everyone's budget and needs is different.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM

The name of the 3rd on-site hotel, the most expensive, is the Portofino Bay. The suite we stayed in was huge. The service was not.

Guests of park hotels are given a separate line for the attractions, not front of the line access. The hotels provide water taxi service to and from the parks.

Separate line access is a great benefit, as you can ride the same ride repeatedly (if you so desire) and do the parks much more efficiently. I believe the parks sell that access as an upgrade for visitors not staying at park hotels, but with a family the bump is so large it may be cheaper to pay higher rates at the Universal hotels.

There are lots of deals to be had, with a little work. Some combine park tickets w/ rooms. Many off-site hotels provide free shuttles, breakfasts and other perks. You might investigate the Staybridge Hotel, a Holiday Inn brand which has [some?] suites with kitchens and is a short drive to Universal.

We've been to many parks on both coasts. The Orlando Universal parks remain the favorite of our children.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:20 AM

You don't say when you are going. If it's not a busy time, you may not need the express perk of staying on site. Although, the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific are an easy walk from the parks and it's nice to be able to go back and enjoy the pool in the middle of the day.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:50 AM
granniem

There is a nice comfort inn on Turkey Hill Road that we stayed at before we checked into the Hard Rock, they have a shuttle...a nice pool...free breakfast. We are going back there this year either before or after the Hard Rock. If you are going to Universal or IOA it is worth staying there

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. We're definitely going to book something in the park. We're going May 28-31.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Look everywhere you can for discounts. I've stayed at the Hard Rock for as little as $129 and as much as $249. Often you can get the price down by buying one of their package deals for the parks - and since you're going to be buying admission tickets anyway (I assume) you can't lose if you can get a good combo deal. I live in Central Florida and staying at the Hard Rock is still a fun little vacation!