Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   united and carry-ons (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/united-and-carry-ons-1008189/)

youngtom2910 Mar 11th, 2014 10:26 AM

united and carry-ons

I am flying united in a few days.

I will be carrying on my roller bag and another bag. has anyone had an experience recently with what is going on? thanks..

spirobulldog Mar 11th, 2014 10:50 AM

Know the rules. If it fits you will be able to take it on(9X14X22). You can bring on 1 Carry On and 1 Personal Item(such as a purse, laptop, or small bag)(9X10X17).

So, you can take on 1 of each sized item I described above.

suze Mar 11th, 2014 11:32 AM

There's a thread about this over on the airline forum.

Dukey1 Mar 11th, 2014 11:46 AM

United has apparently deployed new baggage sizers at some gates..should be quite an experience to watch.

fmpden Mar 11th, 2014 11:49 AM

There was a recent news report that United was cracking down on carryon sizes. We have a United flight schedule for the end of the month. You might want to be sure that you are close to the limit.

clarkgriswold Mar 11th, 2014 12:17 PM

The fewer airlines we have to choose from, the more restrictions there are. Soon small passengers will have to pack themselves into their carryons and spend the entire flight in the overhead bins.

Myer Mar 11th, 2014 01:31 PM

clark,
That's only if they want to fly without a ticket.
Then again, if they fit into a suitcase it'll only cost them $25.

I'll be flying United this summer. I always thought that my carry-on is a little on the big size. I measured it and it appears to be within their limits. I'll check again.

I've always wondered about people whose carry-ons are clearly too big. Fair is fair.

mare0520 Mar 11th, 2014 02:03 PM

Myer - I agree fair is fair - I fly quite a bit for business and it is so annoying when passengers carry on over-sized bags. Makes for less room in the overhead bins.

Dukey1 Mar 11th, 2014 02:16 PM

It's even more annoying when passengers refuse to put anything under the seat in front of them. But this whole thing shouldn't surprise anyone since the airlines started charging for checked bags.

spirobulldog Mar 11th, 2014 04:27 PM

Personally, I'm glad they are cracking down. The dimensions I posted were from United Airlines website. People are trying carry everything on to avoid the baggage check fees. I imagine they will now make everyone fit their carry-ons into their wire rack thingy(this means placing it into the rack, not stuffing it in)before allowing them to carry it on.

DebitNM Mar 11th, 2014 04:42 PM

Don't forget that the measurements should include the handles and WHEELS! not just the body of the suitcase. It is outside dimensions, which is tip to tip.

clarkgriswold Mar 11th, 2014 06:32 PM

Are they going to start cracking down on the people who wear two pairs of pants, 3 sweaters and two coats onto the plane, and then pile everything into an overhead bin?

spirobulldog Mar 11th, 2014 06:38 PM

Or you can fly Southwest and not have to worry about any charges for checked luggage.

dfrostnh Mar 12th, 2014 01:30 AM

Boston's Logan had people last summer just before the line for security to catch people on ANY airline with oversize bags. My carryon was too big with the outside pockets stuffed. I transferred what I could but they also did not allow me to take a third bag which was simply a small insulated bag with some food in it. Hardly bigger than a sandwich bag.

Last fall American was letting people in group 2 with no carryon except a personal item to board before those with carryons.

You need to be ready to check your carryon if they run out of space. Last summer United asked for volunteers to check their carryons at the gate without paying the $25. Keep in mind that if the overheads are full, you won't have a choice. You'll have to gate check your bag. Make sure you have the important things in your personal item bag.