Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   United Airlines Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/united-airlines-question-485863/)

kikahead Nov 13th, 2004 08:43 AM

United Airlines Question

We are going to Kauai in January 2005. The cost of our already booked airline tickets has gone done ~$80 per person (five people). Do you know if United charges a fee to receive a voucher for the difference?

We booked through a travel agent (who is closed today) who appears to be under the impression that you cannot receive a voucher for the difference. BeachBoi mentioned in a previous post that this can be done and to check with my agent.

I am just trying to get more information as I cannot find any on United's website. Are there any United travelers that have received a voucher difference?

MaureenB Nov 13th, 2004 08:46 AM

I doubt it, knowing the financial state United is in. Frontier wouldn't do it for us recently, either. Give you agent a call anyway, and good luck.

BeachBoi Nov 13th, 2004 09:11 AM

kikahead...Hey ,sup? Yep, I just had this happen to one of my tiekcts on Thursday...If your agent is closed,call United.They have always been very helpful to me.Best of luck!

miguelgcuadra Nov 14th, 2004 01:38 PM

I have a UA employee sitting right next to me and said that YES, UA will reimburse the difference. Travel agent will have to file claim....

tracys2cents Nov 14th, 2004 01:47 PM

They will do it as long as, at the time of your call, their system shows 5 seats available to your destination on the exact same flights that you've booked , now showing a lower fare.

kikahead Nov 15th, 2004 03:56 AM

Thank you thank you!! The travel agency is open today so I will call him and have him make the switch!

MaureenB Nov 16th, 2004 06:36 AM

kikahead, would you please post the outcome? I always thought an airline wouldn't make any adjustments until the price difference was $100 minimum, and then with a fee charged.

BeachBoi Nov 16th, 2004 06:42 AM

Maureen...Every airline is different.American just recently changed their policy.They will all try to get us, one way or the other.

FainaAgain Nov 16th, 2004 07:47 AM

Kikahead, I would call the airline and then the agent, so you will be "armed with knowledge" talking to the agent.

Maureen, each airline has different rules. I got a $40 voucher from American for free. To use it they now have a $5 charge.

MaureenB Nov 16th, 2004 01:05 PM

Yep, those airline vouchers have so many strings attached they are just about worthless. I still have four from United for $75 each that haven't been useful yet! I usually get better fares on the internet than I can get going directly to United, even with the $75 discount.

kikahead Nov 19th, 2004 01:37 PM

Well I was able to get it. The travel agent sent me back to United, they are sending a voucher for the difference. Again, Beachboi thank you so much for letting me know that United does do this!!!! We will be receiving $400 which is a notable amount!!

BeachBoi Nov 19th, 2004 01:42 PM

kikahead....Glad it worked out in your favor....Glad to help and you are soooooo right that $400 is huge.

FainaAgain Nov 19th, 2004 01:48 PM

Kikahead, don't forget to use them! within a year?