united airlines filing for bankrupcy effective mon dec 9, 2002

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:11 PM
sue

Just saw it on a news report.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:25 PM
John

And this will have exactly zero impact on people's experiences on United.

Just thought I'd get that out in the open before 100 posts follow asking if that means the airline will be closing its doors, or something.

That's not what this type of bankruptcy filing means.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:37 PM
a

John is exactly correct.

- If you have UA tickets already purchased you will be fine and the tickets will be honored.

- If you are planning to buy UA tickets please go ahead and do so (they need the business).

- If you have UA Frequent Flyer miles they will still have value.

The only way you will lose is if UA is forced into Chapter 7 Liquidation or is foreclosed by the creditors. Chapter 11 restructuring makes either of these less likely.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Michael Milken

Hurray for ticket holders-boo hoo for shareholders!!

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Peter

Boo hoo for shareholders???

Anyone who has been sitting on UAL stock knows that at under a buck you can't lose much MORE.

The filing is actually going to BUOY stock price.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:07 PM
charles

the stock is going to zero.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:14 PM
a

Charles

How many shares have you sold short?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:14 PM
carole

Will they stop flying as soon as bankruptcy is declared or will they wait to the end of the day?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:16 PM
a

Carole

They WILL NOT STOP FLYING. Not with a Chapter 11 filing. Monday will be just a normal day for UA; late planes, lousy service, but running at normal pace.

Repeat - THEY WILL NOT STOP FLYING AND YOUR TICKETS ARE VALID.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Trust me I know

They'll stop flying after everyone has boarded the plane, taxied to the runway, on queue for takeoff ( 6th in line) and just when they have cleared for takeoff the pilot will announce "Sorry ladies and gentlemen but we've just learned that UA has officially filed for chapter 11. My crew and I will be exiting the aircraft via airstairs provided by ground control, however you sorry suckers are screwed. Those of you who claimed to be exit row qualified and are occupying exit row seats, please figure out how to exit the aircraft and find your own way to your destinations. Since we are bankrupt, no other airline in their right mind will endorse your UA ticket to theirs. Thanks for trying to fly United."

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:33 PM
a

If this is the extent of your knowledge then you are critically in need of downloading updates for your cranial software. The Human Brain Beta Release 1.0 was outdated long ago.

Why are you trying to frighten people - especially inexperienced holiday travellers - with this misinformation?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:37 PM
carole

Oh dear, that is quite distressing. Do you think I'll be able to get a refund if I get to the airport early enough?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Trust me I know

To [email protected] - If you were referring to my post you might want to take a look at the others concerning UA and what I had been posting about tomorrow 9DEC being a "non-event". In other words I'M BEING SARCASTIC. Guess what? I'm a travel agent who has already weathered this "crisis" with Usair and cannot wait to go to work tomorrow fielding a billion calls from panicked flyers demanding to have their UA flights changed to a different carrier (probably to Usair for east coast travelers.) I was also there before and after September 11 when the airlines lost billions of $ and made massive schedule changes, discontinued routes and decreased the frequency of their flights. Chapter 11 bankruptcy for a large airline such as UA is just "forcasted turbulance" which will pass into "fair weather."

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 06:16 PM
waltp

To: "Trust me I know" I for one, thought your post was hysterical! To those who are getting their bloomers bunched up because "Trust" was presenting misinformation - DO YOU EVER LISTEN TO THE NEWS? Everything that John stated in the second post is absolutely correct - there will be NO impact. And to those who believed "Trust's" post and didn't recognize it for the humor it was, well, maybe you should take the bus.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 06:50 PM
xx

If they do end up chapter 7, watch for the mechanics to be the first to cry about being unemployed. What idiots, didn't they ever hear about a half a loaf?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Ron

No, they were too busy putting the pieces of tape over the holes in the wings.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:36 PM
don't

Why are people blaming the mechanic? They took major cuts about 8 years ago, and sat out the good times waiting for a promised make-up their next contract. Unfortuneately, it came after 9/11, so they didn't get the make up, got a lousy increase, and now UAL acts like it is their fault. Meanwhile Pilots have never taken cuts, and got huge raises last year. Of course they were willing to take a cut off their new huge increase...they can make $200,000 per year working 50 hours per month! Yes, that is about 12 hours a weeks for $200,000 a year.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Dick

I read that UAL is the only airline in the world that is contracturally obligated to have a mechanic present when pushing back from the gate.

The other airlines use lesser skilled workers to do this.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:18 AM
BTilke

The United impending bankruptcy had a negative ripple effect on Lufthansa stock, which fell on Friday (United is one of Lufthansa's main partner airlines in the Star Alliance). I am planning a trip to the U.S. and tried to book a ticket online through the Lufthansa site. My destination required taking a United flight and I found it interesting that Lufthansa would no longer allow me to book a United codeshare flight through their web site (something I've done several times before, as recently as a month ago).
BTilke (Europe)

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM
GoTravel

To the top. Another old post about airlines going under.