Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   United Airlines fare drop policy change (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/united-airlines-fare-drop-policy-change-774709/)

sf7307 Mar 23rd, 2009 03:10 PM

United Airlines fare drop policy change

I thought there was a thread a few days ago that stated that United had changed its policy for tickets booked as of, possibly, today. They didn't charge a fee for issuing vouchers for fare changes in the past, but now will charge a fee. Does anyone know the scoop (I can't find the thread).

sf7307 Mar 23rd, 2009 03:23 PM

Never mind, I found the information elsewhere. $150 charge. We made good use of the old policy - I don't like the new one much :-)

ronkala Mar 23rd, 2009 03:24 PM

Yes, click on my name. Info is under Unitede Airline Sale, I'm getting vouchers. The first vouchers mentioned arrived today.

mkasperzak Apr 1st, 2009 09:02 PM

I think this new policy is outrageous. What are they thinking in Chicago. Don't they watch the news. This practice seems almost illegal to me. Maybe it is time for air travelers to fight for our rights. Maybe CA Attorney General Jerry Brown or NY Attorney General Cuomo might be interested in pursuing this anti-consumer practice.

rkkwan Apr 1st, 2009 09:28 PM

Illegal? Don't kid yourself. Some airlines, like CO, have ALWAYS charged a fee to issue vouchers, and that has always been an okay practice.

And UA and others have had to start charging the fees, as two things are happening these days:

1. Fares have been dropping quickly. That hasn't happened since 9/11. Many years.

2. Existence of websites like yapta.com that allows users to find out easily when prices on their flights have dropped.

Before, few people ever ask for a voucher, so it was hardly ever an issue. Times have changed.

chepar Apr 2nd, 2009 09:49 AM

I just saw this and I'm pretty bummed about it. United's previous policy of issuing vouchers without the fee (combined with my FF account being primarily United) was one of the main reasons I pretty much flew with them exclusively, even when their fares were a little higher than other carriers.

While I'm not happy about it, I'm not surprised. I'm more surprised that it took them this long to implement the fee.

MonicaRichards Apr 2nd, 2009 10:02 AM

AA is also charging $150.00 now. I wonder if it will have the unintended consequence of people waiting to commit on tickets? I used to just buy whenever I locked down my dates, confident I would get the money back if fares dropped. They did this time on my next vacation and I'm out $150.00 x 4 the price I would have got if I had waited.

Images2 Apr 21st, 2009 07:31 AM

I just called about a $200 price drop on 3 international tickets I purchased for September. These tickets were bought prior to their rule change. I was able to reticket my tickets at the lower price once with no change fee. We're getting $600 in vouchers with no change fee. If the ticket continues to drop in price, we will have to pay the $150 change fee if we want another voucher. Anyway, to make it clear, if you bought your ticket prior to the March date that the rule changed, you get one chance to rebook it for free.