Unique things and general suggestions for a student who's been to NYC before

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a junior in college and one of my very best friends goes to school at Columbia. I'm going to visit him for 10 days (Jan 21-30) and I'm bringing along 2 friends from California (one LA area and one SF). I've been to the city several times and have seen many of the basics and know how to get around. They are looking at me as some what of a tour guide for them. I have started a list of different things that they can see (some which I have, some which I haven't, and some that I've only read about online and in travel books) Friend who lives in NY will be extrememly busy and it's up to me to plan what I'll be doing with the other two.
As much as I adore the other things there are to do in the city, some part of me is drawn towards the cheesy themed and different type things that you only seem to find in the city. I admit I enjoy taking people to take a look around Jekyll and Hyde's even if we don't eat (I have and I didn't find the food that great, the but entertainment was at least amusing)
There have been several places that I love (Dylan's Candy Bar and Serendipity to name a few) which I just don't see anywhere in the travel books. Are there more hidden "gems" like this?
I seem to be having the hardest time finding places to eat. I am the picky one and stick to pretty much the americanized basics (bad I know) Being a student, I'm more on the broke side and would like to keep it under $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner, the cheaper the better (as long as it's edible ).
I'm a broadway fanatic and already have the shows that I will suggest picked out as well as having down the rush policies and whatnot, so that's no problem.
Any other suggestions you might have as to what I can do with them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn, coupled with a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (if it isn't too cold!)

Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side

La Mela in Little Italy (over your budget, but worth it)

For sightseeing, some of the lesser-known things we've done include visits to the Tenement Museum and the Cloisters.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 08:33 PM
BAK

I'm a Canadian, and even I want to see the Statue of Liberty on every visit, so I think it would mandatory for genuine Americans. Staten Island ferry gets me close enough, for almost no money.

I find young people love to see in person places they've seen in movies, so that puts the Empire State Building on the list, plus the carriages in Central PArk. And if your friends were James and the Giant Peach fans a few years ago the Empire State Building counts, too. Eloise fans need to see the Plaza Hotel.

I remember the cafeteria in the bottom level of the Trump Tower to be really good and reasonably priced, and since Trump is a famous guy, and the Trump Tower is beautiful, that might be on the list.

Do your friends have a serious hobby? I believe NY city, for instance, has better camera stores than LA or SF, plus it has the International Center for Photography museum/gallery.

A smaller young person I know loves magic, and she enjoyed the best magic shop in the city.

I've been in Soho, and the nearby areas, on Saturdays, touring commercial art galleries, and people of all ages seem welcome. this is sort of a new York thing to do,. There are galleries elsewhere, but not so many, so close.

BAK
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM

You are quite lucky because "restaurant week" (discounts at top places for lunch & dinner) will be on for part of your stay.

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/inde...TOKEN=12383843

But I also think it would be worthwhile for you to buy yourself a Zagat guide (you can do it online at zagat.com). It will not only answer your question about theme restaurants (yes there are more including Ellen's Stardust Diner, Mars 2112, ESPN Zone, Johnny Rockets etc.) but can be invaluable in helping you find affordable eating places by neighborhood while you're out and about. Surprising you don't see Serendipity in the guide books.

Based on your age etc., I'll mention there are themed tours you can take re Sex and the City, Seinfeld and a general movie location kind of tour.

Bowlmor is a cool bowling alley that might be fun. Chelsea Piers is a huge sports complex (chelseapiers.com) The area around NYU would probably be of interest to the group and definitely take them to the lower east side. I think the tenement museum is a great idea and then explore the neib. Another fun/funky rest. you might try with the group is Sammy's Roumanian. Jewish/Eastern European food in a raucous atmosphere, usually live music. Lucky Cheng's is another to consider (planetluckychengs.com)
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
TC

I think one of the most amusing things in NY is Blue Men Group. I know they have tours and a Vegas home now, but the NY version is really a treat.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Take Metro North or the subway up to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, where you'll find an amazing Italian community (and great restaurants, of course).

Dominick's and Mario's are my personal favorites.

Interested in trying delicious German food, not to mention great German beer, in an environment that will remind you of Bavaria? Zum Schneider, Avenue C at 7th Street.

In general, the best food for the money can be found in the East Village.

Enjoy NYC!

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I was a student in NYC a few years ago. Here is what I recommend:

Veneiros on 11th and 2nd AVe - BEST Italian pastry/cake cafe!

La Mela in Little Italy - great Italian restaurant for groups of people. You don't order - they serve!

Walk around ST. Marks. Some good restaurants there - try Cafe Orlin.

Take the PATH over to Newport/Pavonia in Jersey City and see NYC at nighttime. The view is very nice.

Instead of seeing a show on Broadway - go to the De La Gaurda show at Union Squre (it's something truly different).

Eat at one of the Gray Papaya's famous hot dog stores. There is one the West Village.

Go to FAO SWartz and become a kid again!

Watch a taping of one of the many shows in NyC - Letterman, Jon Stewart, etc.