Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Unique but reasonable restaurants in Las Vegas

Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for fun, unique, tasty places to eat in Vegas, but don't want to pay a King's ransom! Any ideas? Thanks! (Doesn't have to be romantic. Going with girlfriends. In our 40's)!
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 03:42 PM

If you don't mind buffets, the Cosmopolitan Hotel has an awesome one for mid-day/brunch.

It had every type of food imaginable-- eggs, baked goods, meat carving stations, fish, Japanese dishes, desserts . . ..

The food was actually decent, at about $30/per, a few years ago.

I don't know about restaurants per se.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:08 PM

Fat Choy is great. It is in a slot parlor off the strip, but worth the trip.

Dae Jung Keum (sp?) was also good.

Aburiya Raku is also excellent. Not cheap, per se, but cheaper than it would be if it was on the strip.

FWIW, I have yet to have any sort of great experience at a Vegas buffet. I've been to Wynn, Paris, and Bellagio and have always been underwhelmed. And the pricing has gotten so high that they aren't actually bargains. The only good value buffet I can recall having was when I was comped one at the Gold Coast.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 09:43 PM

Origin India is across the street from the Hard Rock. I had some of the best tandoori chicken I've ever tried there last year.
http://www.originindiarestaurant.com/

Lee Ann
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 08:57 AM

"The only good value buffet I can recall having was when I was comped one at the Gold Coast."

Yes, FREE is generally a good value.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:45 PM

Las Vegas has some restaurants that are fun, some that have excellent food, and some that are a bit unusual, but none that I would call truly unique. Here are a few possibilities, along with comments as to how they satisfy the three above attributes. You didn't say where you were staying, or whether you'll have a car, so I'll offer choices in different areas.

Here's another vote for Raku (great food, a bit unusual, but I wouldn't use the word "fun" in its description). It's one of the top restaurants in Las Vegas, but with fairly reasonable prices. It offers excellent (non-sushi) Japanese food, with an emphasis on robatayaki (charcoal grilling), but with many other goodies as well. It's located a couple of miles west of the Strip. Reservations are essential. If you have any room left after dinner, head next door to Sweets Raku (here's where the fun comes in). Owned by the same people, it offers a three course dessert menu, offering a Japanese take on French-style desserts. No reservations here.

Just north of the Strip and the Stratosphere Hotel, but still on Las Vegas Blvd, is Viva Las Arepas (good food, pretty unusual, but more interesting than fun). This is an extremely informal, very inexpensive place, open all day. It specializes in authentic Venezuelan arepas -- kind of a corn meal cake that is stuffed with different fillings (chicken, beef, cheese, shrimp and others). An arepa, side dish and soft drink (try the passion fruit drink) will cost about $15. This place is a little outside the main tourist area; you might feel more comfortable going there for lunch -- or breakfast!

Chef José Andrés is a Washington D.C. chef who is often credited with popularizing tapas in the United States. He now has several restaurants in Las Vegas (all on the Strip). Jaleo offers Spanish tapas, many with a modern twist, such as his famous liquid olives. It's a very lively place (there's the fun), has very good food, but isn't unusual -- tapas are available in lots of places nowadays.

Andrés second restaurant is China Poblano. It offers high quality Chinese and Mexican food (that's pretty unusual). There might be a dish or two that combines the cuisines, but in general a dish is one cuisine or the other. Still, it's fun to order a few dishes of each type.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 02:41 AM

My go to off strip restaurant is Firefly, also not super unique in that it is a tapas place, but its very affordable and fun: I've been three times now, and it is always buzzy, good drink offers bring a lot of celebratory and lively groups. It's on Paradise, so you can walk from the strip if it's not too hot!

http://fireflylv.com/location.html
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 03:10 AM

Andrés second restaurant is China Poblano.

And inside China Poblano is his third Vegas place, é by Jose Andres. It is phenomenal, but pricey.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 05:10 AM

We ate at RICE AND CO. (Asian fusion) inside the Luxor hotel last spring and really loved it. It was the best dinner of a 6 night stay, and we ate at much pricier places the other nights.

Service was amazing, food was great, very flavorful, nicely presented, and very reasonably priced. We were very very surprised. You need reservations, the place was packed on a Friday night.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Actually, é by Jose Andres is inside Jaleo. I have mixed feelings about the place. Serving twenty-some small courses, it's food was very experimental when it first opened -- yet still managed to be very good if not excellent. Over time, it seems as if it's gone more mainstream. There are still surprises in the food, but many of the dishes could just as well be served at Jaleo (in fact, some are). It's as if they're trying to please more people, at the expense of creating interesting dishes. It might also have to do with cutting costs: instead of five or six cooks/assistants behind the food counter, they typically have just three. It's still a very good place, but at a price of several hundred dollars it's hard to justify.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Look for any of the TRs from the Vegas trips done by westie. just put westie in the search box and go to the westie profile to find them.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Lotus of Siam is off the strip, absolutely delicious and reasonably priced. I would not call it unique, but it is very popular and an excellent choice if you like Thai food. Don't be deceived by its mundane strip center location. www.saipinchutima.com

Also, I agree with emalloy about Westie's Vegas trip reports. A really good one is called "Sampling Ethnic in Las Vegas."
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great ideas. Thanks Fodorites! I'm off to check out Westie now!
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM

We had an excellent lunch at Milos -- inside Cosmopolitan.

http://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/.../MilosMenu.pdf
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 05:14 PM

$25.15 for 3 courses - appetizer, main and dessert.