White Water Rafting in WV or MD

Old Apr 24th, 1997, 10:40 AM
Sally Lynch

White Water Rafting in WV or MD

Is there any decent white water rafting in West Virginia or Maryland (within a 4 hour drive of Washington, DC) during the months of July and August?

Old Apr 24th, 1997, 12:24 PM
Tanya Scott

My family has white water rafted with North American River Runners down the Upper and Lower Gulley and the New River. I highly recommend it. If you are taking young family members, the waters should be relatively calm during July and August.
Have Fun!

Old May 1st, 1997, 05:21 AM
Dan

Sally,if you can wait till the first week in sept. go out to WVA. and do the Gauly river its rated fifth in the world you won't be disapointed.

Old May 21st, 1997, 09:10 AM
kate

If you have never been river rafting before, definitely try the New River in summer. The water is a little lower, but the rafting trip is a blast! We went several times with New River Adventures in Lansing, WV. Children must weigh at least 100 lbs. The guides are terrific, the ride is a screamer, and the food was great. Don't ride in the back unless you want to be thrown out and only sit in the very front if you like getting drenched. You are going to get wet, count on it! Great fun for the whole family.

Old May 28th, 1997, 11:18 AM
polly

There's a place in PA, less than 4 hrs from DC, near The Frank Lloyd Wright compound, Fallingwater. Interstate 68 to Route 40 to route 381 and north about 5-1- miles. Beautiful scenery. Don't know about the quality of rafting.

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 10:59 AM
Elizabeth

I would def! recommend USARAFT in West Virginia! I went there and I loved it. They take you on the New River and you can choose how calm or dangerous you want it. The people are very nice (We had a guy there named Harold) and we loved them! And its the best adventure you'll ever have. Please look for this. Its as good as they'll get.
the address:
Rt. 1 box 430
Fayetteville, WV 25840
Phone numbers:
(304)574- 3655
1-800-346- RAFT

other rivers: Cheat, French Broad, Gauley, Nantahala, Nolichucky, Ocoee, Pigeon, and Potomac

I just recieved a info letter from them again today so if you want more info : e-mail me at
[email protected] and my name is Elizabeth Worden . Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 1997, 04:31 PM
Chris Roberts

Ive ridden twice on the New and once on the Gauley. The thrill is incredible and lasts all day. It is a gazillion times better than the best water park you have ever been to. The Gauley is rated No. 2 in the country. If you can, do the Gauley on a weekend in the fall when the leaves are beginning to change. The New trip ends under the New River Gorge Bridge(almost 900 feet high). You may have seen them parachute and bungee off of it on MTV sports. The scenery is also world class. "Rivers" is a good outfitter with good facilities including cabins, dining hall, gift shop and even a bar. There is a ton of outdoor and adventure stuff to do in that area. Not too many people seem to know about it though. You will, however, meet people from all over.

Old Jul 17th, 1997, 05:47 PM
Lynn

The place that Polly is refering to is at Ohiopyle National Park. Ohiopyle is in the Laurel Highlands mountain area of southwestern Pennsvylania. It is about 25 miles from my home. There are several tour operators in this area. I have not experienced the rafting firsthand, but have heard good reviews. Some operators are: Laurel Highlands River Tours (412) 329-8531; Mountain Streams and Trails Outfitters (412) 329-8810; White Water Adventures, Inc. (412) 329-8850. It is probably a three hour drive from D.C. In addition, Ohiopyle boasts a wonderful and newly expanded, marked bicycle trail that goes in two directions from Ohiopyle. A round-trip ride is 55 miles; however, you can go in one direction or another from Ohiopyle to shorten the trip. You can also run or walk on the trail, sit out on the rocks at Ohiopyle, and walk to the observation deck of a falls area.