Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Unfinished business in Phoenix, Arizona. Is it too hot to go at the end of June?

Unfinished business in Phoenix, Arizona. Is it too hot to go at the end of June?

Apr 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

We want to go back to finish our vacation!

Marriott is offering a wonderful deal on points for the end of June and my husband wants to go back. I'm concerned that it will be entirely too hot this time of year.

Will we just want to hang by the pool or will it be decent enough to go to the Botanical Gardens and do day trips to Sedona?

Apr 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM

TOO HOT! and I don't care if it is a dry heat! Sedona might be ok, but I wouldn't set foot in PHX.

We went to Tucson in July last year because Marriott had a great deal. There was a reason the rooms were so cheap -- it was 112!

We spend one day and one night in PHX and it was just as hot as Tucson. We went to a baseball game and when we got out at 10:30 pm, it had "cooled off" to 96 degrees and the heat was radiating off the streets and pavement. Never again!

Debi
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM

It's hot. But, it's a "dry heat"!

Seriously, I end up in Phoenix most times in July because it IS so hot and group rates at hotels are so low. It really, really is hot.

But, it is still really, really fun. Air-conditioning is good. Pools are good. Sedona is great. Trips into the mtns are great. Talesin's Friday night tour is amazing.

So, if that's when you can go, go. You won't regret it.

PS - If you plan to do a hike or walk for exercise, do it in the morning. It's wonderful watching the desert wake up. When I think of Phoenix I think of all the bunnies of the golf courses in the morning
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Debi-That's Arizona in the summer!! Never cools down at night. Seetheworld-if all you want to do is sit by the pool, you'd probably be OK. I guess it depends on what your heat tolerance is. I grew up in the desert so for me it's not too bad but my kid's who grew up in coastal CA think it's way too hot. We were in Phoenix in early June last year for my Uncle's retirement party and it wasn't too bad-maybe around 102. Of course we weren't outside much. However by the end of June you could get some of those 110 and above temps.

Sedona is also warm in June although not as bad as Phoenix.
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM

starrsville-Aren't those early morning desert walks beautiful? I know that some people don't get the beauty of the desert but all you need to do is go on one of those early morning walks to appreciate it's beauty.
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

I don't do well in extreme heat!

My Dh wants to try and recapture the time we lost in Arizona (due to northeast flooding) by returning. But the weather just won't be the same at the end of June as in was during the middle of April.

I think we will save a return for next year.

Apr 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
TahitiTams

I like going to Arizona in June and July..
5* resorts for super cheap and we love playing in the pools, golf or hiking in the morning, naps in the afternoon.. the bigger resorts do have misters going everywhere.
Sedona is cooler than Phoenix and its lovely and takes about 2 hours each way.
Do have lunch at Enchantment Resort at the Yavapai Restaurant.
It is a dry heat..I can't take the humidity.
August is too hot and humid with the monsoons that come up from Mexico..
Have a wonderful time seetheworld!

Apr 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM

I just topped Neal Sanders classic post on It's a Dry Heat in Phoenix. I think it stands as the definitive view on the subject.
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM

You can go to the Botanical Gardens. Just go earlier in the day.

You can go to Sedona. It's gorgeous - and not as hot as Phoenix/ Scottsdale.

If the heat is getting to you, take a day trip into the White Mtns. They are beautiful - and the temps will be in the 70's. Hike. Drive. Just explore. White Water Rafting if you are up for it. Here's a link -
http://azwhitemountains.net/activity.cfm?T=3

But, my favorite, BY FAR is an evening tour of Talesin West. Day tours are nice, but night tours are heavenly!
http://www.franklloydwright.org/inde...=display&id=57

Relax by the pool. Get a spa treatment. A couple of the hotels have "Dive In Movies" - watch a movie projected on a big screen while you relax in the pool!

It is SO dry. I was amazed that I could come out of the water in 110 degree heat and be COLD! The water evaporates off your skin so fast, it cools your skin. Come out of the water, wrap up in a pareo and shiver for 2-3 minutes until the water evaporates. Order another cactus blossum margarita, read another chapter or two in a book or dose for a while - and then repeat. Dip in the water to cool off, come out of the water, wrap up in a pareo...
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM

early mornings are still ok in Phoenix at te end of June - It still cools off (some) at night. when the humidity begins in early July, then nighttime cooling is minimal.

After dark it isn't too bad. It is warm but you don't have that sun beating down on you. Last year I remember seeing a little league championship game. It was 110 when the game started, but it was comfortable just sitting and watching.
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

??

I noticed this morning that someone posted a bunch of web addresses (seemed odd, so I did not check them).

Now I see they were removed. Anyone know what happened?

Apr 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM

< it's a dry heat >. So is the inside of my oven!
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM

From other thread --

Author: DebitNM ([email protected])
Date: 04/27/2007, 10:04 am

STW -- Ya know.. if it SW you are seeking, why not try my neck of the woods? It will be that dry heat, but no where near the day time temps in AZ and it cools off 40 degrees or more everynight - cool enough to wear a sweater or jacket and be able to have a fire. We have wonderful ancient ruins at Mesa Verde, fun shopping in Durango and Telluride, beautiful drives on Million Dollar Highway and authentic art for lots less than most tourists places. Great reastaurants, fun outdoor things that you can do at time other than 5 am to beat the heat.

Think about it - I'll help you plan it and we can have a SW Colorado mini GTG! Southwest is having good deal to ABQ. Check it out!!
Debi

Apr 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM

stw, seriously do consider Debi's suggestion. Durango and the high desert is perhaps my favorite place in the world. I've always said that if I were to "disappear" from my world, I'd end up in Durango. (But, I guess I've said that so much everyone would know where to find me! )

Durango itself
Mesa Verde - my favorite National Park
Ouray - Little Switzerland and the surrounding countryside
A day on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad - there is no prettier scenic ride that I know of
I'm going to add Lake City on the next trip
I'm also going to add 4wd jeep trip

If you want more mountains, you can zip up NE into the Rockies
If you want more desert, you can zip west into AZ
If you want artsy stuff, zip down to Santa Fe

If you want unusual, you can drive over to Grand Sand Dunes NP

And, as Debi says, the nights are delightfully cool and the days aren't stifling

Seriously consider it. Do you have to use Marriott points?
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Debi and starrsville, I certainly appreciate you trying so hard to figure out an alternative for us. I guess you sense a feeling of vacation desperation on my part -- that is so true. However, I am very concerned about the elevation in the areas you suggested. After the some medical events of the last couple of days, I am now very reluctant to travel to an elevation that may cause a problem. Call me gun-shy, at this moment in time.

But thanks so much guys! It all does sound so very lovely.
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Phoenix - elevation 1117 feet
Durango - elevation of 6512
Santa Fe - elevation of 7000
San Diego - elevation of 72 feet

How about San Diego? Beautiful warm days, cool nights, low humidity
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM

OMG, stw, the Marriott Coronado Island is absolutely gorgeous! Check out the website. I was there for an award trip years ago and I can't tell you how relaxing and wonderful it was. Check it out!!!
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I dunno.. June Gloom and all. SD may not be what you want in June.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I give up...he's just being so relentless, lol

So week booked another week in Phoenix for the end of June. He says we'll check the 10 days forecast and can always cancel.

This is a man who does not like to leave things unfinished.

He better hope I don't fry his keaster, lol.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:03 PM

Good. Glad you are going. Do any hiking in the morning. Lounge by the pool and enjoy a cactus flower margarita. Go see Taleisin West. Go to Sedona. Heck, drive up to the Grand Canyon if you haven't seen it already. Most of all, rest and relax

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO