Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ultimate-kauai-guidebook-221385/)

ja May 16th, 2002 11:42 AM

Ultimate Kauai Guidebook

Finally got my copy- 9 weeks after I ordered it from a local bookstore - read it cover to cover last night and it's great!!! Can't wait until October!!!<BR>ja

yahoo May 16th, 2002 11:44 AM

Read it again! Don't lend it to someone who will drop it in water and then get it all wavey. Guess what mine looks like?

JMM May 17th, 2002 09:53 AM

It really is the BEST guidebook - we used ours constantly.

kal May 17th, 2002 10:12 AM

Alohaaa,<BR>We've been over to Kauai numerous times and still take a look at the UKG from time to time.<BR>Last trip, I heard the ultimate compliment paid to the UKG from a few locals who hate it because it tells too much about certain places there were once known only to locals.<BR>I guess that's good?<BR>Mahalo,<BR>Kal<BR>224!

Sarah May 17th, 2002 10:19 AM

I do like it but do not consider it the definitive source. Last summer we found a wonderful hike that was not even in Ultimate guide (found it in "Hidden Hawaii" guide book), Kahala trail. Also disagree with some top picks Hanalei Bay Resort being one. Waimea Brewing company also was bordering on poor IMO.<BR><BR>Would I be without this book? NO. Do I reread it for each trip, YES. <BR><BR>Just think it is always good to have a few books. I also have a book Hawaii Eco traveler. A great resource for plant, bird, animal, sealife all over the islands. Tells you were to find it and what time of year. <BR><BR>Sounds like you are totally pyched for your trip ja. ENJOY Preparing is part of the FUN!!!

ja May 17th, 2002 11:32 AM

hey, Sarah -<BR> Great minds must think alike because I also got myself a copy of "Hidden Kauai" to peruse pre-trip. Thanks for the tips on what you didn't like - will add that to my Kauai file.<BR>ja

Sarah May 17th, 2002 12:01 PM

Ja for great quick overview to Hawaiian History. Concise history of the Hawaiian islands. It is only 85 pages long. Will bring you closer to the past enrich your trip. You are going early October yes?

Sarah May 17th, 2002 12:04 PM

also there is a magazine that you can buy for five bucks 101 things to do on Kauai. Very helpful in planning it comes out quarterly then next one is due in late June. Could to look through before your trip so you can see what is out there and book ahead.<BR><BR>For Example we missed great free tours/hikes at Kileuea light on this past trip. I have been about 8 times and I did not know about this. This past trip was the first trip to the lighthouse that I can remember. Don't make the same mistake it is on a great piece of property and the birds are facinating.

alex May 17th, 2002 12:11 PM

Sarah,<BR><BR>Where did you buy that magazine? We picked it up for free at either Wal-Mart or K-Mart when we were there last? Do they not give it out anymore?

Kal May 17th, 2002 12:21 PM

Alohaaa all,<BR>224 until we worry about 101 things to do!;-D<BR>I thought these 101 books were free over on Kauai?<BR>http://www.101things.com/4listing.php?table=activities&location=kauai<BR><B R>Sarah, Just wondering what happened at Waimea Brew Co that made you give it a "poor" eval? We may stay on the west side (Plantation Cottages)this trip just so we could stay there longer and see the west side sky on fire!<BR>We were there in Jan. and the meal and beer was ono. Service was slow, not enuff people, but they hustled and we were in no hurry.<BR><BR>Another book we used before one of our earlier trips to Kauai was by Lenore Horowitz "The Kauai-Hawaii Guide".<BR>Kal

kal May 17th, 2002 12:23 PM

alex, ya beat me to it!<BR>That will show me to let work get in the way while typing a response!<BR><BR>I may start my weekend sooner now....<BR>Kal

alex May 17th, 2002 12:28 PM

I guess I took a break at just the right time, Kal!<BR><BR>Oh well, back to work while dreaming of Hawaii in dreary cold Chicago.

JayT May 17th, 2002 12:28 PM

Hello all !!!<BR>Was there 2 weeks ago.....101 things...book are still free. I thought the Waimea Brewing company was pretty good. Basic food and good beer...I'd go back again anyways.

Sarah May 17th, 2002 12:30 PM

Alex I want to look at it before I go for reservations. No, I did not buy it, it was in my condo last year. Will be on the island for two weeks so I would like to find some new things.

kal May 17th, 2002 12:35 PM

Alex,<BR>Chicago!?!?!?!<BR>We're back there in August for our friend's 50th b'day. Goose Island still making a few good brews? Let us know if Mrs Kal and our friends can buy you a beer....or 3<BR><BR>JayT, You have to go back and look for all of your lost golf balls! At least it's one of my excuses to keep going back. <BR>Hey! "101 Excuses on Why You Have to Return to Kauai". by Kalkahuna Press Publishing! <BR>Kal

Sarah May 17th, 2002 12:45 PM

Hi Kal I was there with a family (w/kids) so perhaps that was our mistake. Kids did not complain just don't think it was the best environment. I Remember the next table of people were on a Friday night drinking bindge and chain smoking (don't recall them eating). Just not an environment I look for. Also remember bugs flying around, it was also dark and empty (we were on the deck). I thought the food was pretty standard (for me that means uneventful) but I know I am a snob when it comes to food. Perhaps we just hit it on a bad night. We had a long day of hiking in the canyon and I thought anything would have tasted good. Stars at night on the drive back (Hanalei) made the entire evening worthwhile though!<BR><BR><BR>Think it is 85 more days till Kauai for me.<BR><BR>So glad to have others as hopeless as I still talking or thinking daily about Kauai.

Rick May 17th, 2002 01:12 PM

I agree that the 101 things to do on Kauai is helpful if you want to preplan. I don't want to be searching for things to do once I am there. Think time is better spent knowing what is available before hand. BTW the internet site is also helpful but I am guessing that there are a few extra details in the magazine. I have yet to order.<BR><BR>Ditto on Kauai Ultimate Guide.

alex May 17th, 2002 01:23 PM

Sarah,<BR><BR>I didn't want you to think I was questioning you - I just wanted to make sure they were still giving them out free. My co-worker is going in September for his honeymoon and I told him he couldn't have mine! So he would be less than happy if he could not find one when he got there (I did say he could photocopy what he wanted from mine). I am too attached to mine to give it up and I have all my notes in it from the things we have done. He already tried to swipe my Ultimate Kauai guide!!! I bought the Big Island guide and am looking forward to February 2003!!!

ja May 17th, 2002 01:49 PM

Sorry, Sarah -<BR> I went out for a while. In answer to your ?, yes, we're planning on going in the first 2 weeks oof October. Will definitely look for the 101 Things booklet. Who's the author of the "Concise History"? Will have to order that as well, as a lot of the smaller US publishers only accept online orders from US customers. We like to look at the background/history/cultural history of the places we visit.<BR>ja

aaron May 17th, 2002 10:07 PM

i used mine a lot also. the hiking trails portion is invaluable. book the higher end helicopter tours the first day you arrive, even before you arrive---the best ones get booked up and it'll give you a prompt real understanding of the island---i waited until latter in my stay and got the tour on of course a day it rained. the restaurants are all overrated----as in all----but food in kauai is in general outrageously expensive---there are some nice seafood places on the north side of the island.