Reload this Page >

uk family trip to new york

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:09 AM
surfmum

Can anyone help with our 1st trip to New York? Best area to stay for family of 6, hotel or apartment? Thinking about March/April but haven't told kids yet,ages 8 to 14, they're going to be so thrilled !!! Any suggestions of things to do etc will be really appreciated

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM
GoTravel

For a family of six, get an apartment. You'll save big money on quick breakfasts and lunches by using a kitchen.

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the choice I would come in April - and as late as possible. NYC is substantially colder than London and March is often still winter here - you may well still need winter gear - and substantial (6" plus) snow is possible - although unlikely. (We often have crocuses poking up through the snow.)

Real spring often doesn't come until late April and trees don't leaf until end April or early May.

You don;t say how long you will be here but for a family I reco either an apartment or an apartment/hotel - it will help cut down on food costs substantially if you do your own breakfast and at least some of the snacks kids are always wanting.

Also - to save $ - and get much better food stay away from Times Square and midtown in general. You will find much better inexpensive restaurants if you go to the upper west side, village, lower east side etc.

Depending on what you want to see - you might even get the best deal staying far downtown near the financial disrict.

(Sights are spread out all over Manhattan so you're going to have to use the subway no matter where you stay.)

As for the kids - obviously the 14 year old will have interests far different than the 8 year old - esp if it's a girl.

For all kids:

Central Park and the zoo
Museum of Natural History
Circle line boat tour
Staten Island ferry (free) with a view of the Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island Tour with ferry ride
Empire State building
Intrepid (at least for the boys)
Met Museum (look at the web site for departments of interest - boys often love arms and armor - girls the costume institute etc)

If you tell us something abuot their/your special interests we can help with specific activties.

Also- reco you get started on a place to stay ASAP - NYC has been hugely crowded since the dollar plunged and hotel space is at a premium.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
surfmum

Thanks for both replies. I am looking at various rental agencies recommended by other fodorites. Great tips on eating out & where to take the kids. Thanks so much

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

hello surfmum. if you are looking for an apt. once you decide where in town to be go to www.vrbo.com
stands for vacation rental by owner and has hundreds of listings for nyc - thus my suggestion that you decide which neighborhood to stay in first.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM

Really not easy to find comfortable room for 6. Go for a 2 bedroom 2 bath at least. You may have to phone or email hotels specially for these size rooms. Good apt/hotels to check

the Salisbury (nycsalisbury.com)
Affinia group (affinia.com)
the Beacon (beaconhotel.com)

For regular apt. try

nyhabitat.com
citylightsnewyork.com
furnishedquarters.com
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM

I bet they're gonna love it so much!!!
With children , I would advise the Time Square area , since it's so shining bright at night , you can walk everywhere , it's the tourist trap spot , but wonderful for kids !
A giant Toys'r'Us is right there , with a real Lego King Kong right in the middle , you can take them for a drink at the Marriot on the 40iish floor to have one of the best Manhattan 's view (and it's not very expensive) , they can experience real Starsky and Hutch hotdogs on the streets , they'll love the Empire State building , if they're boys , take them to the Port Authority to visit the ship that's overthere , it(my son adored it when he was 10) , have a Martian hamburger at 50th and Broadway or 7th , (I think it's called "Mars", the food is nothing big but you're welcomed by Martians , that neat , we don't have this in France!!) , you might go see a broadway play buying half price tickets (there's a booth right in the middle of time square , usually crowded , and another one at South Street Seaport , were it's worth going so you won't stand in line so long).All these can be found on the internet , you'd better make sure they still do exist , because I haven't been to New York in 2 years , and things do change really fast over there !
If you have a little girl , I would also recommend a stop at Mc KENZIE-Childs (824 madison & 69th) , it's a giant doll house , but's it's actually a store.
Go fishing in Central Park if possible ! It's free (you'll have to leave them your I.D.) , it's fun , and it shows kids that it's not ALL about money !
If they're very much into animals , do take them to the museum of natural history , it's beautiful , and you can then stop at Maxilla & Mandible on Columbus avenue where skulls , bones , reptiles are available to bring back home!
I would go to Chinatown just to walk along Canal Street and have a big cheap delicious fried rice for a few dollars at Big Wong on Mott street , I think.
You should definitely take a tourist bus pass , you'll either by the downtown loop , the uptown loop , or the 2 days night and day loops.
It's good to buy at least the downtown loop , it'll take you from Central Park South to Battery Park , stops at every touristic place , and that's great for us , tourists , isn't it?! You can hop on and off as much as you want , I think you can use it for 24 hours...and after , you'll take the metro , it's cheap and very convenient and clean !!!
Oh , I forgot : for shopping , the place where to go to is Century 21 (a building right accross the Twin Towers or what's left of it).
You'll be able to shop for the entire family (clothes mostly) , no fakes , terrific bargains , you'll spend tons !
Don't go to the Statue of Liberty , the attraction is very bad : instead , either visit the Ellis Island museum (so moving) , or just take the free ride at the ferry terminal , and don't forget your camera : you'll pass by really close to the statue , will have great views of it , and so many little hip hop bands dance and perform on the boat , it's a traditional New York show !!!
Well , I 'll stop right here , I could go on for hours !
Just one thing : hotels are very expensive in the city , but the cheapest are sometimes vveeerrryyy weird to us Europeans , so I wouldn't take the chance with children.
You can try www.ratestogo.com , http://vacation.new-york-apartment.com , http://www.colonialhouseinn.com (gay friendly ) .
I have stayed at the Manhattan Club (it's a time share , but owners do rent their apartments ) which is expensive , the apartments are small but you're right accross Carnegie Hall , great area , and there's a mini kitchen with a fridge , microwave , sink and dishwasher in every apartment , it's very clean , well kept , I loved the place.
Then I stayed at the Meridien, forget it , it's soooo fabulous but sssoooooo expensive , then I stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan which I liked a lot because it was so clean as well and central and they had a pool and it was August !
A tiny gorgeous boutique hotel is the Vincci Avalon , it's in the Empire State area , a breakfast is included , but the rooms have no kitchens as far as I remember , the location is great , though , shopping to do on 34th ....
www.gtahotels.com also often has great deals ! But I'd avoid Expedia or Last minute because I don't think they usually give enough information , (room description and all) , and so many times you'll find better deals on the hotel websites then checking through them !!!
But hurry , New York is always fully booked , you might not be able to get a room !
Enjoy your trip !
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM

Can you post a budget for your accomodations?

Also, the suggestions to try for later in April is right.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:36 PM

Try Embassy Suites Hotel downtown. They have decent internet deals and you can get two adjoining rooms with kitchen facilities. Convenient to buses and subways that can take you all over the island.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
surfmum

Fantastic advice,thank you all, keep it coming. I'm always amazed that fodorites are always so willing to invest so much time helping other travellers. Sophiedeparis, thanks a million, lots of great info

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM

If you're looking for a short-term apartment, the reviews on slowtrav.com are quite helpful. The NY page is http://www.slowtrav.com/usa/vr/list.asp?r=New%20York
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

Here's more to look at if you're still searching for that perfect apt.:

http://www.subletinthecity.com

You've already gotten some great activity ideas but I would add a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (toward Manhatten). After you cross into Manhatten you'll be right by the South Street Seaport area.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM

I forgot just one or two things : Big Wong cost us 13$ including tip last time we had lunch there (that was for 2 , and 2 years ago) , and there's a dinner right behind the Sheraton Manhattan on 50th and Broadway were the food is also average , but it's very 50's like and they sing the menu plus standards of Broadway plays , so the kids usually enjoy it.
But I'll stop here , or it'll become a real novel !
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM

The "diner" Sophie refers to with singing wait staff is Ellen's Stardust diner. Food fair, prices high but kids like it.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM

There are many good area to stay in. Near Central Park, down the the Greenwich Village/Union Square area, eve miodtown locations are fine. I personally am not a big fan of Times Sq, but lots of tourists like it (I live in NYC, and find Times Sq congested and chaotic, fun do walk through, but that's about it). You should check Affinia.com. They have suite hotels in various locations, many with kitchens.

I would not recommend theme or chain restaurants. There's so much better out there. I think the 14 yr old is too old for Mars 2112. It's loaded with younger kid birthday party groups. It's loud and the food is nothing special.

The kids would love walking around the village area. Washington Sq Park (lots of street performers here), Union Sq Park (lots of skateboarders here), St. Marks place, etc. There are many little shops and restuarants in that area as well, and lots of young people. A great little free museum in the village is the Forbes Gallery on 5th Av amd 13th St. My kids have been there many, many times.

What are your kids interested in? They may enjoy a baseball game if you are here in the spring. Both the Mets and Yankees are easy enough to get to via subway. If they are interested in comic books, action figures and that kind of thing, take them to Forbidden Planet on Broadway and 12th St. If they like books, across from there is the Strand bookshop (old and new books of all kinds, jammed into this space).

If they are adventerous eaters, take them for Indian Food in Little India (E. 6th st). They would probably love walking around Little Italy/Chinatown as well. A pastrami Sandwich at Katz deli in the lower east side, is quite an experience too (and 1 sandwich can probably feed both of them). In there lower east side, there's also a great candy store (name escapes me, but I know it's been mentioned here). It's been around forever and has some items you just don't find anywhere else.

ALso a trip to the theater is always worthwhile. Hairspray, Wicked, Rent, Phantom are all good choices. Beside the museums already mentioned, MOMA is great, museum of the moving image in queens, museum of the city of new york, the guggenhiem, the public library (at 5th av and 42nd st). All the museum have website, so you can check to see if any have particular exhibits of interest when you visit.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM

GREAT advice from MFNYC above - try to do it all. Although if you live near London, you could see any of those shows (at equal quality) for about half the price.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Good point about the theater. If you do theater in NYC, check broadwaybox.com in advance for advance sale discounts.

The candy store is called economy candy. While down in the Lower East side, you should check out the Tenement House Museum.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM

The Embassy Suite was a good idea previously posted, not sure if the rooms accomodate 6 but they might. Most NY hotel rooms are small and only accomodate 2 people. Embassy suite will have free breakfasts which will save you a lot of money. We love the double decker sightseeing buses, make sure you at least ride all over town to get a feel for all neighborhoods. If you are in the ROckefeller Center area weekdays the lower level employee food court has great food at reasonable prices. Buy Fodors/Frommers guide book and laminated maps, study the book and maps thoroughly before you go. Try to memorize street names. Get familiar with terminolgy i.e E/W uptown Downtown, midtown, TImes square, upper East side Greenwich Village, etc. NYC Is very pricey but you probably already know this. Hope you enjoy your trip to the US
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM

surfmum

Another vote for The Embassy Suites located at 102 North End Avenue. This is a really nice hotel - have stayed here twice this year - www.embassysuites.com You will see that you can have 2 double beds and in the living room a sleeper sofa, armchair etc. Price includes a full breakfast with an excellent selection of breakfast foods. Enough to keep you going with just a snack until evening. Coffee/Tea making is available in your room. You can request a frig which is handy for cold drinks, snacks etc. Stay away from the mini bar.

Hotel serves free evening drink, soft drinks and snacks. Rooms are a very nice size especially by NYC standards. This is a great location and the walks by the river fantastic. Easy to get everywhere.

Enjoy New York. Looking forward to reading your trip report.

Sandy
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM

I agree with the votes for wandering around Chinatown. I went there on my first trip to New York when I was about ten and it made a big impression on me--the ducks hanging in the windows, the paper parasol and Chinese teapot I bought, the extreme foreign-ness of it. Now I live in New York and still love its foreign-ness, and its cheapness. Go to a Chinese bakery and buy strange little cakes for a quarter each. Go to Dim Sum Go Go on East Broadway and have a wonderful time tasting dumplings. And be glad you are there in April and not the heat of the summer, when the streets offer some of the most memorablly pungent smells in New York. Speaking of Chinatown gives me another idea--maybe rent a karaoke room for the family in Koreatown (midtown, east of Penn Station) and sing for a couple hours. Some of the karaoke places serve sushi as well so you can make a dinner of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -