Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ugly Philly (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ugly-philly-81826/)

Rex Aug 4th, 2000 09:03 AM

Ugly Philly

Is there any uglier big city in America than Philadelphia? Maybe Detroit or St. Louis but I can't think of any. I can't believe the Republicans had their convention there.

M.M. Aug 4th, 2000 09:17 AM

What the heck are youse calling ugly? Where the heck are youse from? One more word about about Philly and I'll shove a cheese steak and hoagie up your butt,slap youse upside youse head wit a pretzel and boil your a$$ in scrapple grease. :) :) :)

suzan Aug 4th, 2000 09:26 AM

HOW FUNNY & TRUE! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! <BR> <BR>Seriously, I have never felt so un-safe in any city in my life, as I have in Philadelphia. Been to Detroit, St. Louis and many other metropolis' - nothing compared to Philly. The City of Brotherly Love, my ear!

Lisa Aug 4th, 2000 09:35 AM

I don't believe Philly is an ugly city at all. I have visited most big cities in the U.S. and I don't find them to be any better or worse than Philly. Can you honestly say L.A., Chicago, or NYC is nicer than Philly?? All big cities have their dirt. I have seen the ugly in all of them. Philly is rich in history and how can you say the Art Museum area, Independence Hall, or Elfreth's Alley is ugly?? Also, Philly has some of the best dining in the country. I think you should visit this fine city and reconsider your statement.

frizzo Aug 4th, 2000 09:40 AM

Yeah, but love their cream cheese. <BR>:-o <BR>

Rex Aug 4th, 2000 09:51 AM

The last time I visited Philly I drove from the fairly nice suburb of Abington south through north and west Philadelphia. It was mile upon mile of slum. TS Eliot once wrote a poem called The Wasteland, a criticism of the spiritual wasteland of western society. Somebody ought to write a poem about the complete(physical and spiritual) wasteland that is Philadelphia. Some of the TV show COPS best shows took place in Philly because Philly is one big criime extravaganza.

Philly Aug 4th, 2000 10:26 AM

If Philadelphia is so bad why did Loews, Westin, Hilton and The Ritz Carlton open new hotels this year in downtown Philly? Why is Hyatt building a new hotel? Why did Marriott build a huge Hotel and Courtyard Hotel associated with the new convention center. You must be smarter than they are. <BR> <BR>There has been a re-birth in Philadelphia, walk along Walnut and Chestnut Streets and you will find some of the best restaurants, shopping, and entertainment in the country. Do you think you could afford to live at Rittenhouse Square? Check it out before you make statements. <BR> <BR>P.S. This comes from a Manhattanite who thinks highly of Philadelphia. <BR>

Kathryn Aug 4th, 2000 11:16 AM

Yep, Philly is pretty ugly. And as a Pennsylvanian, I'm allowed to say this. <BR> <BR>The only nice parts of the city are outside the city--around Villanova University, where all the disgustingly rich people live.

Jenna Aug 4th, 2000 11:54 AM

I like Philadelphia! I can't believe you can make a blanket statement like that about how ugly it is. Like any big city, it certainly has its bad parts, but the historical section is lovely! I love Elfreth's Alley, especially. And besides, Philly should be honored for its history alone. <BR>PS Is LA any better?

Me Aug 4th, 2000 12:33 PM

Being a lover of tradition and history, I was so excited when I was planning my first and I hope last trip to Philly. Being with a large travel club, we made a day of it touring the historic district before attending an NBA playoff game a year ago. I cannot begin to describe to you the problems we had at the United Center trying to unload and reload 3 bus loads of paying visitors to the city. We were treated rudely, rerouted, turned away, drivers ticketed, and ended up having to walk almost a mile to find a place where they would let the bus stop to board passesngers. I just happened to have been sporting a broken toe at the time. Not a pretty site. I accredited the after game treatment to the loss by the 76ers. When we had the opportunity to return there this year, we declined as did the rest of the jet full of fans. The trip had to be cancelled. Shame on a city for treating guests they way were were treated. :~(

ThereNo More Aug 4th, 2000 01:31 PM

Hey Rex = You wanted a poem - Here tis <BR> <BR>If you think Philly is the worst place you've been, <BR>A visit yo Oregon will make you think again. <BR>If you think Philly has abusive police, <BR>The ones in Oregon will make them look like your niece. <BR>I wouldn't suggest a visit to Oregon to even find if this is true, <BR>When you cross the state line they are profiling you. <BR> <BR>Check out www.stayout.freeservers.com

Cheesesteak Aug 4th, 2000 02:31 PM

Yep, there are PLENTY of uglier cities -- check out Gary, IN, Eliz. NJ, Midland, TX, and so on from there.... My own least fave is Las Vegas, but that's another thread. <BR> <BR>I happen to think Philly is a drastically under-rated city that, if it were anywhere but between NYC and Balt/Wash, it would be very highly thought of. I love Society Hill and City Hall and Rittenhouse areas, but agree that some of the best parts are actually the suburbs. But yes, there are large areas of Philly that are pretty sad -- but compare 'em to parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx or south of the Loop in Chicago, not to respective downtown areas.

PhillyFan? Aug 4th, 2000 06:09 PM

All right, apparently I'm the only one here who has lived in Philly, so I'm allowed to run it down. It has improved during the past 10 years, but it's still one of the least likable large cities in the US. (If you really want SCARY, though, cross the river to Camden, NJ!!). <BR>Detroit is worse than Philly, though, hands down. For smaller cities East St. Louis and Gary, IND are the SCARIEST cities in this country IMO (as far as cities which are scary from border to border). <BR>St. Louis has some very nice parts, even in the city limits proper (Forest Park area). <BR>And as for why all the new hotels? Because for one of the largest cities in the country, it was sorely lacking in high and mid range hotels near center city. BTW, the former Ritz was sold about 5 years ago because it was sucking wind financially. The Four Seasons is nice but stands alone. <BR>Philly gets ripped alot, but much of it is deserved. And people there are generally more rude than anywhere else in the US except parts of NYC.

born in philly Aug 4th, 2000 07:08 PM

Why to they call the local highway the "Surekill Distressway"?

Me Aug 4th, 2000 07:19 PM

I don't live in or near Philly nor ever want to live there at this point in time. You could persuade me otherwise. <BR> <BR>Perhaps those who do could address my earlier post about the very unfortunate experience I had there. Don't tell me about how good it is until you help me understand, why, as a PAYING vistor to your fair city, I along with a group of 150 were treated as we were. <BR> <BR>Please see the earlier post under <BR>Me [email protected] <BR>

David Aug 4th, 2000 07:54 PM

I disagree! I live in the midwest and have been to Philly twice in the last couple of years and have actually recommended it to others. I found the downtown area pretty good for big city standards.

Me Aug 4th, 2000 08:14 PM

I still am open for a reply from a real PHILLY person....

TO me Aug 5th, 2000 03:52 AM

Stupid ME,it's First Union Center not United center,here's your answer.You're just like a typical tourist expecting everyone to kiss your a$$.Consider the the sports complex that you visited has 3 venues with a seating capacity of close to 100,000 people,I doubt that all 3 were in use when you were there but its likely that 2 were and that makes for a lot of traffic and congestion on the surrounding streets.The complex has 17 acres of parking of which the closest is for chartered buses.You,like most of the "me" generation,expect to tie up traffic with 3 buses so you don't have to walk to far,instead of parking in the allowed bus area which is approx. 100yards from the nearest entrance.I for one am glad that you haven't returned and wouldn't want to live here cause we don't need candy asses like you,you're probably the type who ride around and around the mall parking lot until you find find a parking spot near the door,yet go to weight watchers to "work out".

Philly Aug 5th, 2000 05:21 AM

I visited Philadelphia for a week in March, 1983. I stayed downtown at the Latham Hotel. Has Philadelphia really gone downhill or what? I thoroughly enjoyed my atay. I walked all over downtown except for areas that I had been warned about. I found the people to be quite friendly. The desk clerk got me prime seats for both the Philadelphia 76ers and the Flyers. All in all it was a fun week and I never felt unsafe. <BR> <BR>Now, I do have another question. Why does everybody bring up LA as a comparison? If you check the official crime statistics, you will discover that Los Angeles has a much lower crime rate than many cities. It also doesn't have the blight that many older cities do.

Me Aug 5th, 2000 06:13 AM

You wrote earlier: <BR>Author: TO me ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 8/05/2000, 7:52 am ET <BR> <BR>Message: Stupid ME,it's First Union Center not United center,here's your answer.You're just like a typical tourist expecting everyone to kiss your a$$ etc. etc. <BR> <BR>You responded just as I should have expected. You didn't read my post too carefully. <BR> <BR>We weren't allowed to park with the other buses... that was the problem! Now a more intelligent reply would have been -- perhaps it was the fault of the organizers on our end or your end for not making better arrangements. <BR> <BR>It's the same attitude and ignorance of your response that welcomed us to the city of brotherly love. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the correction on the name of the center. Maybe that was why the bus couldn't find it! LOL <BR> <BR>Thank goodness our founding fathers aren't around to hear your lack luster dribble. <BR> <BR>