Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

UCLA, USC and Pomona campus tour in California, need tips of transportation, etc

UCLA, USC and Pomona campus tour in California, need tips of transportation, etc

Feb 5th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Hello! My name is Fangfang Zhang. I'm going to take my daughter to visit University of Los Angeles, University of Southern California and Pomona College from Feb. 19th to Feb. 23nd. She is going to apply for university next year and is very much interested in these three universities in CA. She has booked the campus tour within this period. It's our first time there and we want some tips of transportation and Airbnb info. We are thinking of staying at an airbnb which is convenient to reach these three universities or two of them by taking public transportation. For another one, we can take Lyft or Uber. Feel greatly appreciated if someone can suggest any airbnb? For public transportation reaching these three universities, what is the suggested route? Metro or bus? We plan to spend one day with one university and the surrounding area. Looking forward to replies!
Feb 5th, 2019, 10:24 AM

We visited Pomona College and UCLA in one visit. We stayed in Pomona.
However, it's a very long commute between the two campuses, and I don't recommend doing what we did.

I suggest you stay one night near each school, although I'm not very familiar with USC.

The schools' websites will give you some information on local lodging choices.
Feb 5th, 2019, 11:04 AM

Pomona College (my son's a graduate) is fairly easy to visit using the Metrolink San Bernardino light rail line from Union Station in downtown LA. The Pomona campus is just a few blocks from the Claremont station.

I would probably look for accommodations somewhere around Beverly Hills and use Uber/Lyft to visit both UCLA and USC, and to get to downtown LA to catch the train to Claremont. Airbnb is being restricted severely in the LA area, so I'd probably look for a hotel instead. One favorite place is the Farmers Daughter, a fun hotel located across the street from the historic Farmers Market, and a block or two from the Grove shopping center. It's a convenient location, about equidistant from USC and UCLA. There are lots of restaurants and interesting places nearby. https://farmersdaughterhotel.com/

LA is very spread out, so you should allow lots of time to get places.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Feb 5th, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
Feb 5th, 2019, 01:07 PM

I haven't been to Pomona so good that someone gave rail options for that.

Airbnb is basically illegal in Santa Monica, not sure about other areas.

I went to UCLA (go Bruins) and was around USC some. I'd recommend you stay on the westside near the Expo metro line (Santa Monica would be nice but is expensive), or somewhere in West LA near a stop. Because that metro line goes right to USC, it has 2 stops.

There isn't a metro stop at UCLA, however, but Santa Monica runs an extensive bus system and has about 4 lines that go there from Santa Monica (18, 2, 1 and 8). Check the map. UCLA isn't that far from that area, the bus trip won't be that bad.

https://www.bigbluebus.com/routes-and-schedules/
Feb 5th, 2019, 01:12 PM

AirBnB is only legal in Santa Monica if the owner is also living on the premises (also called a "homeshare"). City of LA has passed a similar measure effective July 1, plus in LA the owner can only rent for 120 days per year. Ask for a copy of their business license.
Since many vacation rentals are located in residential areas they might not be super convenient for public transport.
Feb 5th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions!
Feb 5th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions, which are very useful. I'll definitely check the farmer's daughter hotel!
Feb 5th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Pomona College (my son's a graduate) is fairly easy to visit using the Metrolink San Bernardino light rail line from Union Station in downtown LA. The Pomona campus is just a few blocks from the Claremont station.

I would probably look for accommodations somewhere around Beverly Hills and use Uber/Lyft to visit both UCLA and USC, and to get to downtown LA to catch the train to Claremont. Airbnb is being restricted severely in the LA area, so I'd probably look for a hotel instead. One favorite place is the Farmers Daughter, a fun hotel located across the street from the historic Farmers Market, and a block or two from the Grove shopping center. It's a convenient location, about equidistant from USC and UCLA. There are lots of restaurants and interesting places nearby. https://farmersdaughterhotel.com/

LA is very spread out, so you should allow lots of time to get places.
Thank you so much for your suggestions, which are very helpful! I'll check farmerdaughterhotel!
Feb 5th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for telling me that!
Feb 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fangfangzhang View Post
Thank you so much for your suggestions, which are very helpful! I'll check farmerdaughterhotel!
Any other places of interest in Pomona we can visit after we do the campus tour?
Feb 6th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fangfangzhang View Post
Any other places of interest in Pomona we can visit after we do the campus tour?
Pomona College is in the city of Claremont, not Pomona, despite its name. Claremont is a pretty and pleasant suburb, home to the Claremont Colleges. It's not particularly a tourist destination, although there are some nice shops and cafes in the up-market town center. I'd just walk around a little, or else just take the train back to LA.

If you indicate some likely dates and times for your daughter's tours, we can possibly suggest a broader itinerary.
Feb 6th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Hi and welcome to LA!

I can't provide advice for Pomona, which as Gardyloo says, is in Claremont.

For UCLA (Go Bruins!) and U$C, I can help you.

Best AirBnB's would be located in the WLA/Westwood area for purposes of using public transportation between both universities. There's a great AirBnB practically across the street from my house, on Overland Avenue between Pico & Olympic, but there are others close by. My suggestion is that you find accommodations within walking distance of Westwood Blvd. Why? Because you can take several Big Blue Buses directly up to the UCLA campus (the number 8 & number 12) and possibly even catch the Bruin Bus at certain stops, and certainly around the campus. You can also take either of these two buses to the Expo Line at Westwood & Exposition Blvd. Then, you use Metro (Expo Line) heading east towards downtown that has two stops at USC - one at Expo Park/USC and one at Jefferson/USC.

Get a TAP card (one per person), and add value to it (i.e. $20). The TAP card can be used on ALL public transportation in Los Angeles, from light rail (i.e. Expo) to subway (i.e. the Red Line) to bus service (Metro/Rapid Transit, Big Blue Bus, and Culver City bus). Very, very easy to use.

BBB 12 will take you to Gateway Plaza at UCLA near the Ackerman student union. The BBB 8 will take you to the Hilgard terminal on the east side of UCLA close to the sororities and the Law School. From there, you can walk back to Westholme and go right onto the campus.
Feb 7th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Pomona College is in the city of Claremont, not Pomona, despite its name. Claremont is a pretty and pleasant suburb, home to the Claremont Colleges. It's not particularly a tourist destination, although there are some nice shops and cafes in the up-market town center. I'd just walk around a little, or else just take the train back to LA.

If you indicate some likely dates and times for your daughter's tours, we can possibly suggest a broader itinerary.
Thank you very much, Gardyloo! We are arriving in LA on Feb. 19th. My daughter booked the campus tour of Pomona College on Feb. 20th, UCLA on Feb. 21st and USC on Feb. 22nd and we're heading back Boston on Feb. 23rd. We'd like to have suggestions about a broader itinerary what we can do nearby after the campus tour.
Feb 7th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Hi and welcome to LA!

I can't provide advice for Pomona, which as Gardyloo says, is in Claremont.

For UCLA (Go Bruins!) and U$C, I can help you.

Best AirBnB's would be located in the WLA/Westwood area for purposes of using public transportation between both universities. There's a great AirBnB practically across the street from my house, on Overland Avenue between Pico & Olympic, but there are others close by. My suggestion is that you find accommodations within walking distance of Westwood Blvd. Why? Because you can take several Big Blue Buses directly up to the UCLA campus (the number 8 & number 12) and possibly even catch the Bruin Bus at certain stops, and certainly around the campus. You can also take either of these two buses to the Expo Line at Westwood & Exposition Blvd. Then, you use Metro (Expo Line) heading east towards downtown that has two stops at USC - one at Expo Park/USC and one at Jefferson/USC.

Get a TAP card (one per person), and add value to it (i.e. $20). The TAP card can be used on ALL public transportation in Los Angeles, from light rail (i.e. Expo) to subway (i.e. the Red Line) to bus service (Metro/Rapid Transit, Big Blue Bus, and Culver City bus). Very, very easy to use.

BBB 12 will take you to Gateway Plaza at UCLA near the Ackerman student union. The BBB 8 will take you to the Hilgard terminal on the east side of UCLA close to the sororities and the Law School. From there, you can walk back to Westholme and go right onto the campus.
Previously it's said Airbnb is basically illegal in LA. So I booked Metro Plaza Hotel (711 N Main St, LA, 90012) which is 0.5 miles from the Union Station. My daughter has booked the campus tour of Pomona on Feb. 20th, the next day after our arrival in LA and we can catch the rail to Claremont quite conveniently. It seems that the Union station is the traffic hub in LA and is pretty easy to get to UCLA and USC, right?
Feb 7th, 2019, 08:57 AM

>>Previously it's said Airbnb is basically illegal in LA<<

No - only in a few PARTS of the LA area. Santa Monica, etc . . . 'LA' is made up of a lot of individual cities and each area has its own rules and laws.
Feb 7th, 2019, 01:16 PM

janis, City of LA has passed a new short term rental law greatly restricting units to no more than 120 days per year and owner must be registered and pay taxes. However the law does not go into effect until July 1 so if the owner is traveling in February the law would not impact him or her. But I would hope they take our severe housing shortage into consideration when booking their lodging.
Feb 7th, 2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jamie99 View Post
janis, City of LA has passed a new short term rental law greatly restricting units to no more than 120 days per year and owner must be registered and pay taxes. However the law does not go into effect until July 1 so if the owner is traveling in February the law would not impact him or her. But I would hope they take our severe housing shortage into consideration when booking their lodging.
I'm not an advocate for airbnb at all and I wasn't trying to get the OP to change the hotel booking -- but just clarifying that some cities in the LA basin outlaw or regulate short term rentals and some don't. (I am regularly attacked over on the Europe Forum for telling people that airbnb's are mostly illegal in Paris, Amsterdam, etc. and to not use them)
Feb 7th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you!
Feb 8th, 2019, 10:04 AM

>>Previously it's said Airbnb is basically illegal in LA<<

I presume that was quoting me and that isn't want I said, I said Santa Monica.
Feb 9th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Fang, if you are using Metro Hotel to get to Union Station for the Pomona tour, I suppose that might be okay for one night. But I certainly would not use that hotel or that area as a base to stay. It's not the safest or nicest area in which to stay. And it would not endear me to the City of Los Angeles if this were my first visit. The Hotel itself has terrible reviews.

What time is your tour for Pomona? If it is mid-day, you could, again, do an Airbnb in the Westwood area as I suggested in my previous post. Take the Expo line to 7th street. Then go down the stairs (tap you tap card) to the purple or red line in the direction of Union Station. Get off at Union Station, then take the train or metro link to Claremont.

It is an easy trip. My son (29 years old) took the train from Union Station last Friday to San Diego from Expo, Westwood Blvd., and it took him 40 minutes (including transfer from Expo to the red line) to get to Union Station. I've done this myself twice (that is, going to Union Station, then onward to San Diego -- I've taken this route multiple times just to get downtown).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO