Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Two young adults missing (11/15/16) near Joshua Tree. PLEASE READ!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MISSING LOVED ONES! PLEASE SHARE! Family and friends of the Joshua Tree and Pioneer Town area! I have two missing friends that we believe headed to Joshua Tree on Saturday to go camping for the weekend. Both of them Aaron Morganstein and Masha Mitkov were expected to be back for work on Monday morning and never showed up to either of their jobs.

So far a police report has been filed in LA and the local police of Yucca Valley and Riverside. They are organizing a search party and we would greatly appreciate the help if you're in the area.

Aaron was last seen heading out of LA with Masha in a Blue Suburu with license plate #7PHK773.

Last purchase from them was at a gas station in a nearby town to Joshua Tree.

Any sightings or info, please let me know here or you can call or e-mail me:

[email protected]
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 06:30 PM

This is awful. Suggest you also post on lonely planet. They have several appropriate forums
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 06:56 PM

Wishing for the best and all ends well.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will post on Lonely Planet as well.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 06:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Did they make it to the entrance station to Joshua Tree?
https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/fees.htm
The latest thing in searches is drones with cameras that transmit back to the search HQ.
The key will be to find the car.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's somewhat of an "update" published last night:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...sing/93948538/

Unfortunately, no further news.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:54 AM

I lived in Yucca Valley and I was very relieved to see from the pictures that they are both white. I really do hope they are OK and safely found.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:08 AM

"relieved to see from the pictures that they are both white"
Is this an odd typo, or what?
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand the comment completely.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:53 AM

From what I experienced, the area is an odd mix of white militia types, writers/artists, people who are trying to start over in anonymity, seniors trying to stretch their dollars due to the lower cost of living. I was warned in the brief time I lived there by really nice neighbors to avoid walking down particular streets where known neo-nazis lived and to avoid being out at night. They advised that when I was out and about that it would be a good idea to take my large, aggressive-looking dog with me whenever possible.

This couple doesn't sound like an obvious target and there's always a steady stream of urban dwellers on their way in/out of JT. I'm looking forward to seeing an update that they are safe and sound.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Wow. Had no idea that the area had neo-nazis in numbers to be significant. Given the post-election trend to be brazen in public, I guess the relief (about the couple being white) is understandable.
Now I hope the relief will be due to them being found, alive and well.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:05 AM

ABC news reports that the couple has been found, in Mexico. No further details just yet.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Glad to hear that have been found.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Found, really. That is wonderful news.

Yucca Vaaley is a horrible place. Many lovely people grew up there and never left. But the sherrif told many people flee from LA to the area and are on the run from the law. I could write a book about the strange people I meet over the course of several years. My uncle moved there and we started getting calls from the court that he was being defrauded. Sure enough to the tune of around $100,000.

His story could have been the stuff of Hollywood movies.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 02:46 PM

They were found by the Border Patrol on the wrong side of the Border. no other details other than "drinking their own urine". Bizarre..no reports of where their car was, why if they were experienced campers they had no food or water....mysterious.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 02:56 PM

More info

" They were at the sand dunes at Osborne Lookout, left their car there on Sunday (their last wifi signal) and went on a day hike to take pictures. They got lost while out on their hike and could see a red light flashing in the distance so they started walking direction. Spent 5 days walking in the desert without food and little water. In order conserve their water they also drank their own urine. They saw helicopters flying, and actually were able to light a fire to get attention but no one was able to see them.

They walked all the way to the cell tower until they ran into some maintenance workers at the tower who then contacted the Border Patrol. The Border Patrol contacted family and the investigator with LAPD and took them back to their car at Osborne Lookout.

The Border Patrol guided them back out of the park and they are now headed to meet up with family, friends and the rescue team to celebrate. "

Thefriends who started the GoFundMe account have no intention of returning the $25K that was raised. Perhaps they could make a donation to the local authorities at Joshua Tree who surveyed all the campgrounds.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are going to walk out of sight of your car in desolate places, please get a handheld GPS (with extra batteries) and waypoint your vehicle.
Other useful tools I sometimes carry as a geocacher are a SPOT satellite locator and a Suunto compass (no battery required).
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 06:06 PM

Wow, they must have been terrified that they might die out there. So happy to hear this great news -- what a huge relief for their friends and family. Why would there be a GoFund account -- to help with search costs?
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry (and I'm REALLY glad they are safe and sound. I don't wish ill on anybody), but really, some people should not be in the gene pool.

And the $25K should be donated TODAY to search and rescue.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 06:17 PM

Yes the friends wanted to conduct their own search, hire a pilot. Etc..