Search

California

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California

Are the roads to Death Valley patrolled? We read that there are no services and that cell phones won't work once you leave the interstate. Is it safe to drive via Barstow or do you recommend going through Vegas to Death Valley?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you mean Highway 395, then yes, unfortunately, it is patrolled by police. So watch your speed!

I had good cell phone coverage with Verizon. I don't know what coverage is like once you get into Death Valley.

There are small towns and services along 395. Once you leave that road, there isn't much until you get into Death Valley.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
lvk

I'm trying to figure out what this question really means.

Where are you driving from?
When you ask about the roads being patrolled, are you worried that there is no police presence if you get stranded? What would be your concern about driving via Barstow? Road conditions? carjackings? banditos?

I'm confused.

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

sorry the question was not clear...our concerns are being stranded and having car trouble and that no one else would be on the road.
as for banditoes --nah
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I should have added that we will be driving from LA to Death Valley then going to Vegas for a few days before flying home...
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
lvk

Okay, thanks for that clarification. Now we can be more helpful. From L.A., going through Barstow seems to be faster (per Mapquest). However, the drive up 395 is much more interesting, IMHO.

The Barstow route is monotonous desert, while the 395 takes you through some interesting terrain of the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. Lone Pine, where you would turn east to Death Valley, is also near the base of Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the contiguous 48 states. You also pass the Alabama Hills, where lots of western movies were filmed. Manzanar, the former WWII internment camp, is just beyond Lone Pine, near Independence.

As Barbara mentions, there are little towns along the way to stop for gas or a bite to eat. Of course, this would make for a longer driving day.

Our Sprint phones work most of the time on the 395. Oh, and the CHP is always around. I have the speeding ticket to prove it!

Have a nice trip.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...that was very helpful..sorry about the speeding ticket.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM

I just returned from Death Valley and didn't see a single police vehicle the entire time. I can tell you that I have Verizon Wireless for cellular service and I didn't have any coverage at all. I asked a couple of people who worked at facilities in the park if they knew of any carrier that had cell coverage that worked but they said they weren't aware of any coverage at all. The only services within the park are at Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. I did notice several locations along the road throughout the park where they keep a supply of water (not potable) only for use in autos. I would think that if you travel during the day, you would be able to flag down any other visitor in the park who would notify someone to assist when they get to "civilization". Most people seem to be pretty understanding there that if they see someone broken down they probably need help. I also heard that rental car agencies deliver replacement cars there on a regular basis due to people offroading and also overheating in summer. It is an interesting place though if you have the time to pass through.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Plenty of traffic in Death Valley,not to worry about being all alone. I would
fill up with gas before entering the the Valley as prices are High. I have Sprint and could not get service.Enjoy your trip.