Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Two Females Traveling Together Sharing a Room Okay?

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Jannie

A very dear friend and I will be taking a short trip to the coast, and want to stay in a neat B&B, eat out a lot and shop for our grandchildren.

To save money and maintain the pajama party atmosphere (remember in high school?), we'd like to share a room which will probably have a king bed, not twin beds, being in a B&B. Now, this doesn't bother me at all, but my sister says people may think we're "partners." What do you think?

Thanks!

Jannie

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:15 AM
ilisa

Who cares what people think?

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:17 AM
ilisa

I'm sorry, that came across as a bit harsh. More specifically, why do you care what people think? You're happy, you're grandparents - that's all that matters.

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:17 AM
angel

Hogwash! There's nothing wrong with you staying together. Your sister must have been fishing for a negative comment.

Hope your pajama party doesn't get too loud -- B&Bs are often a quieter scene than motels.

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:25 AM
SharonM

Are you serious???
Actually, I would imagine your chances of getting 2 twin beds much more likely than getting a king bed in a B&B.
Regardless, If anyone thinks "anything" I presume that is their problem, not yours, unless you make it one.
Enjoy your PJ party!

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:27 AM
marilyn

I don't think people will think that at all, nor would it matter. I have encountered all sorts of groups of people related in various ways in recent B&B stays. However, you do need to shop for your room. Some places have pretty small rooms with only doubles or queens, which I would think would not be conducive to a sound sleep, whereas others offer twin beds, pullout couches, larger rooms with sitting areas, etc., all of which would be more comfortable for you.

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:35 AM
livebyjfk

Hi Jannie:
First of all have a wonderful time!!! Whenever I travel with my Mom, I try to stay in B&B and very very rarely have a problem with the beds. If not so what, you are dear friends and who cares what anyone else might think!!

Sep 19th, 2000, 08:35 AM
lisa

Don't worry about it. I travel a lot with my mom and other friends and family and sometimes we have separate beds and sometimes we share -- it is no big deal and noone has ever asked or cared. This is totally normal regardless of sexual orientation or gender, to share a bed with another person sometimes when travelling (although much more common among women than among men it seems). Relax and enjoy.
P.S. Even if they did think something of it, which they won't -- YOU know who you are and that's all that matters.

Sep 21st, 2000, 10:12 AM
missy

I travel with my friends and we always share a room. We share beds too. If you two don't have a problem, you shouldn't care if others do. It's more fun to share with someone anyway (besides being cost effective). I think your sister is the one with the problem and is insecure with herself to even mention it.
Have a great time and don't worry about it. Lots of women travel together and the management at B&B's think nothing of it.

Sep 21st, 2000, 03:26 PM
Mom

Hope your friend doesn't try to get frisky with you when she's in dreamland! It happened to me in college and I will NEVER share a bed with another female again!

Sep 21st, 2000, 04:20 PM
Michael

Jannie, Yes, people will think you are
partners. Whenever we violate the norm
assumptions are made. Why is everyone
being so negative toward your sister?
She is merely verbalizing what everyone
else will be thinking. Others have said
"Who cares? Don't worry, be happy!".
But, you have a concern or otherwise
you woulld not have raised it. Have
you spoken with your friend about your
concerns? Talking about how you will handle misperceptions may help.
I do hope that that you will be able to not let stereotypical perceptions get in the way of having a good time. Go & enjoy!

Sep 21st, 2000, 04:43 PM
Bryant

C'mon Jannie. You're an adult...you have grandchildren, for God's sake! If people think something, then let them. Just go and have a good time and don't worry about these people you don't even know anyway. And Mom, all you have to do if someone makes an unwelcome advance is a firm "no thank you."

Once again, mountain out of a molehill.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:29 AM
Kyle

Mom-so you share beds with many different males without any problems? Get a grip.

Sep 26th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Tom

I had a very different experience. I was on a cruise last year in Alaska with my partner. Everyone on board kept asking us if we were brothers. I did feel a little better when the other gay couple on the trip told me that everyone was asking them if they were father and son.

Sep 27th, 2000, 07:24 AM
anon

I would find it more odd if two good friends spent extra money for two rooms just so they wouldn't have to sleep in the same room.