Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Two female british students, desperately seeking summer work in a touristy place... any hints?

Search

Two female british students, desperately seeking summer work in a touristy place... any hints?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 1998, 06:58 AM
Caroline

Can you help us, we are two British, female students desperately seeking summer work in a touristy place in order to meet new people and have fun whilst making money in a new environment. Can you help us out. Accomodation preferable

Old May 3rd, 1998, 03:44 PM
Raeona

Door County Wisconsin is in the American midwest, a peninsula that juts into Lake Michigan with the waters of Green Bay on the other side. It's a lovely, busy, wholesome summer resort, and the businesses are crying for summer help. Some of them offer accommodations. You might want to contact the Door County Chamber of Commerce.....try a net search for their address, also the local paper, Door County Advocate. Good luck!!!

Old May 3rd, 1998, 10:00 PM
Tricia

A lot of the National Parks need summer help. Most of them I am sure you can find on line. There is the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite etc. Then there is Disneyland in Anaheim, Ca and Disney World in Florida. Disneyland and Disneyworld both have website with job info and even what is available. The parks do provide accomodations in the parks themselves- Disneyworld I doubt. You'd probably have to get an apartment. But what fun! I'm sure they' hire you- you could work on "It's A Small World..." Good luck!!

Old May 5th, 1998, 05:53 PM
ET

You might try Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine. It's a restaurant that seems to have an all-student summer staff, and I think there's a dormitory right there where they stay. Check the National Parks website for phone#s and more ideas.

Old May 5th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Olga

Don't know what part of the country is of interest to you. On the coast in the northeast, beach communities are a popular destination for vacationers. Consequently, there are many job opportunities, especially in the restaurants. In New Jersey, look into places like Long Beach Island, Ocean Beach and Cape May. Also, Ocean Beach in Maryland and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware are popular spots. Good luck and have a great stay in the US.

Old May 6th, 1998, 10:29 AM
traveler

Not to put a damper on enthusiasm here, but you better make sure you have the proper visas/work permits before you even try this idea. A regular student visa or vacation visa will NOT allow you to work and earn wages in the United States. Better check with US Consulate in Britain FIRST, to find out the rules.