Reload this Page >

Two Days in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Carol

We only have two days to see SF, and besides Alcatraz is there anything special we should try to see? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Paul Rabe

Wander around Chinatown. Spend an hour or so of people watching at Fisherman's Wharf. Maybe even go shopping there or at Ghiradelli Square. Ride the cable cars. And DO buy some sourdough bread -- it's the best in the world.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 03:55 PM
melinda

Golden Gate Park has a lot to see and do, but it would take all of a day or more. It has a planetarium, DeYoungs Museum. Steinharts Aquarium and gardens galore -the conservatory is wonderful!

Everyone should see Fisherman's wharf and Ghiarrdeli Square at least once in your lifetime, but it is touristy.
Downtown around Union Square is surrounded by all the big stores and has a lot of local color. Lunch at Saks or Neimann Marcus is a treat.
Personally I'd skip Alcatraz.
Of course, if you hit it on the right days, there are always good plays.
I guess you can tell - I love San francisco!!

Have a good time!

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:36 PM
wendy

Don't forget to go to Coit Tower, ride a cable car, and look down Lombard Street.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Carol

Thank you everyone for your help, I only have the two days and I need to plan it well.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 03:40 PM
Debbie

Hi Carol - Only 2 days in San Francisco - that's still enough time to fall in love with the city!! Above posts are all excellent, but I would suggest skipping Coit Tower, instead heading to Twin Peaks - you'll get a much nicer view of the city. It's near the Haight/Ashbury district. Also, plan to make time to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge (walking is much more fun if you have the time)and head to Sausalito. You'll be surprised by just how much you'll be able to see and do in just 2 days. Driving down Lombard St, riding a cable car (both MUST DO's), Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, etc call all be done in a jam-packed day. Nice thing is, you have so many options to choose from !!

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Rich

Debbie is right, find Twin Peaks for a GREAT view of the city! She's also right about riding the cable cars and driving down Lombard St., Must do's! You must visit Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, also Ghiradelli Square is nice. Paul is right on about the sour-dough bread down on the Pier, it IS the best anywhere. Again Debbie has good advice, drive over the Golden Gate Bridge toward Sausalito, it's amazing just to drive over it. On the way back, there is a road on the right that leads to an overlook on top of the hill. Don't miss that! It's an amazing view of the bay and the bridge. If you have time, Muir Woods is a great place to see the redwoods, it's about 12 miles nw of the bridge. You won't be lacking for things to do! Good Luck.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 06:19 PM
Carol

Thanks again, Carol

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Debbie

Hi Carol - Would be curious to know what you wound up seeing/doing on your 2 days in SF - please post upon your return !!

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Carol

Debbie, I am going to SF in August, and I will post a summary of my two days there. I am still looking for a place to stay that wouldn't be too expensive, but I could be flexible since it is only for the two days.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Debbie

Hi Carol - Stayed twice at the Holiday Inn-Fisherman's Wharf - VERY convenient to numerous things (like FW, Pier 39, Ghirdelli Sq, North Beach area of the city). You can pick up the ferry to Alcatraz in that area too. Not to mention the great area restaurants !! Be sure and get the 'audio' tour of Alcatraz when you're there - it will give you a great in-site to how things must have been when it was used as a prison !!

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:49 PM
kam

Hi Carol, Please see the SFGate site for suggestions for San Francisco. Everyone has his own favs, but that site will allow you to choose yours. Have a wonderful trip to our city.