Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Twenty Days of Rain.....20 more and I'm building an Ark! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/twenty-days-of-rain-20-more-and-im-building-an-ark-234572/)

Lenore Jun 26th, 2002 08:18 AM

Twenty Days of Rain.....20 more and I'm building an Ark!

Help! I feel like I'm drowning. It has been rainy and cloudy and just plain miserable for at least the past 20 days here in South Florida. I haven't seen sunshine since I left Las Vegas on June 7th. Now I know why cloudy cities like Seattle have high suicide rates.....rain is so depressing!

lisa Jun 26th, 2002 08:25 AM

Eat your heart out! We're enjoying beautiful, sunny weather in the Pacific Northwest - clear skies, warm days (hot to us!) and cool nights. Was in Seattle bicycling last weekend, with the sparkling waters of Lake Washington on one side, ferns and tall trees on the other. Summer's are great here. (We won't talk about fall, winter and spring!)

Lenore Jun 26th, 2002 08:50 AM

Lisa - My husband and I want to vacation in Seattle and Vancover....maybe in July or August of 2003. When is the waether best in that part of the country? By best, I mean not too rainy! Hope I didn't insult you about my Seattle comment, since that was not my intention. I'm just depressed!

Lori Jun 26th, 2002 09:14 AM

We were in florida for vacation 3 June-10th. I am so glad I chose those dates. It does seem as though it has been raining ever since I left. I will not try my luck again in the month of June. I was fortunate to have had nice weather where ever we traveled.

ncgrrl Jun 26th, 2002 09:21 AM

Could you PLEASE send the rain to NC. We are in an extreme drought (we need about 14 inches of rain).<BR><BR>

Julie Jun 26th, 2002 10:04 AM

July and August are usually very nice in the Pacific NW. August and September are even better, in my opinion. Like Lisa said, we have great summers here! Very little rain and low humidity. (of course, summer often doesn't get underway until after July 4th...)

Stephanie P. Jun 26th, 2002 10:34 AM

Lori:<BR><BR>How did you enjoy the Ft. L. area? Get a chance to at least visit Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? <BR><BR>Lenore: <BR><BR>Sorry but it is hard for me to pity someone who lives in a state where the average year around temp is 70-80. PA had alot of rain in May (like the whole month) however it has been sunny here since.<BR><BR>

OliveOyl Jun 26th, 2002 11:25 AM

I answered a post from "Marie" who was coming to St Pete Beach the 17th and concerned because the forecast predicted showers. "Not to worry" I said, rain is in the forecast every day here in the summer, but it usually is just an hour shower and nice the rest of the day. No one, not even the forecasters, saw what was coming. <BR><BR>Well, from the day she got here it rained non-stop. Today, for the first time, in 9 days we have a little sun, but clouds are threatening on the horizon. She had been so excited about her trip, and believe me, I thought about her and the other tourists every day and felt so badly for them! We've been here 6 years and I don't ever recall a stretch this long before. Marie, if you are out there, I'm sorry!! Hope your vacation wasn't a total washout!<BR><BR>A couple from England sat in our St. Pete Beach post-sail bar with glum faces as the rain came down in buckets Sunday. We had been rained on every day when we were in England, but then, we expected it. They expected to be coming to the land of sunshine and brilliant white sand beaches.<BR><BR>Even this cloud has a silver lining though...surely a good sized dent has been put in our drought, but I sure do feel for everyone who spent $$$ on a nice beach vacation, only to find what we had. It really has been freaky weather.

Lenore Jun 26th, 2002 11:33 AM

I am from Ohio originally and couldn't wait to move away from that dreary weather. I've gotten so used to sunshine. However, the weather we've been having here in Florida for the past 3 weeks reminds of Ohio. The good news is that we have awesome springs and autumns and no worry about snow in winter.

patty Jun 26th, 2002 11:39 AM

we arrived in lauderdale by the sea 6/15 and left 6/19 for Marathon in the Keys, then Key West, then back to Ft L 6/22--we had some sun every day except Friday, and we all came back with a suntan! it was a great trip!

Josey Jun 26th, 2002 02:42 PM

Lenore, we just moved to SW FL a year ago from SW OH and I can understand your frustration...HOWEVER, it has just started to get really warm in OH...they have had lots of rain and lots of COLD weather this spring...here we have lots of rain (it is the rainy season),but I am wearing shorts and sleeveless tops and I'll take that any day. I agree with Olive..we need the rain badly. I had many more depressing days in OH in the spring than I've had here.

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 03:01 PM

Send that rain over to us in Colorado, will ya? We still have wildfires raging out of control due to hot, dry, windy weather and an absence of our normal afternoon summer thunderstorms. If it's sunshine you want, we've got it. Oh yeah, lots of smoke and not much water too. :)

hot Jun 26th, 2002 04:41 PM

You probably won't get much sympathy from posters living in Arizona, California or Colorado right now. With virtually no rain fall in the past year, we'd be delighted to get just a little of your rain. I guess the grass is greener on the other side.

quit Jun 26th, 2002 07:08 PM

Lenore,<BR>You have no idea how irritating your post is. Sorry you're drowning. Out west we're literally burning to a crisp. My husband's agricultural-based employer (Fortune 500) recently declared bankruptcy that's directly tied to the poor farm economy that's directly tied to the drought. Farmers are going under daily because they can't grow crops in the dust. An entire way of life is threatened because the earth here is literally drying up. Look beyond your own situation, please, and send a prayer for rain in fly-over country.<BR>

njgirl Jun 26th, 2002 07:19 PM

Hi Lenore,<BR>Up here in NJ we are still under water restrictions.Tonight there was a storm,but not that much rain,just wind and a lot of people without power.<BR>It was 90 degrees here today and really humid.Feels like Florida:)

lisa Jun 26th, 2002 09:28 PM

Lenore, Naw. You didn't offend me. We're actually having less rainfall than usual for this time of year, like so much of the west. We're lucky west of the Cascades, though, as we have such a long wet period that our forests don't get so parched. My heart goes out to the people in the fiery parts of the country!<BR><BR>Like Julie said, best times here are from mid July through mid October. I think the driest weeks of the year, historically, begin the last week in July. It would be hard to go wrong from the end of July through September. <BR><BR>The coast is always iffy, though the summer is your best bet. It tends to be cool and wet, though it has beautiful sunny days, and the wet weather can be quite dramatic, with clouds and mist wifting in and out between the cliffs and on the beaches. It's just not like the Florida shore at all. More like Ireland, I'd say.<BR><BR>Hope you have a great trip here. This is a beautiful part of the world.

Lori Jun 27th, 2002 04:45 AM

To Stephanie, yes I did visit Ft. Lauderdale by the sea, we thoroughly enjoyed all of Ft.Lauderdale. Also went to Ft. Myers for 3 days a day trip to Key West, Sanibel Island, Cativa for dinner. We had a great time. Thanks for asking and remembering me, Lori

Lenore Jun 27th, 2002 06:39 AM

Yeah! I finally saw some sunshine this morning. I feel so much better already.<BR><BR>My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended by my post, since that was not my intention. I fully understand the devastation drought and wild fires bring. Florida has suffered through many over the years. Just four years ago most of our state was on fire. The horrible details of the destruction made national news for weeks. State officials cancelled fireworks for the entire state and shut down all the little firecracker stands that spring up this time of year. We've lived with severe water restrictions off and on since then. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Wishing Jun 27th, 2002 08:58 AM

Having been through water restrictions and huge fires in recent years, I would have thought you might have appreciated the rain. I know that rain would be greatly appreciated out here in the west. We sat with heat and no electricity for 5 hours last night due to a huge fire that devestated an area.