Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

TWA Hotel ?? for international flight out of JFK

Jun 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites!

My DH and I are two active seniors who will be arriving at JFK on Saturday, Sept 14 at 3pm. We have an international flight out the next morning at 11am. We have been to NYC many years ago and have been to Ellis Island, Times Square, Empire State Bldg, etc. I was thinking of staying at the new TWA hotel and catch a bus & train to Manhattan. Thought we might go to the Top of the Rock (at sunset??) and visit the outside of the 911 Memorial. (I don't think we'd have the time to go through the 911 exhibit and I'm not sure I want to go through the emotional draining experience quite yet.)

So....any other hotel suggestions? I'm fearful of staying too far from the airport as we have an earlier flight that we don't want to miss.
....or suggestions on sights?

When looking at my Rome to Rio app, to get to Rockefeller Square, it looks like we'd take the Airtrain bus from terminal 4 to the Jamaica Station D, then transfer to the subway into town. Is that correct??

I welcome all suggestions! Thank you!
Jun 5th, 2019, 04:25 AM

I would definitely stay at the TWA Hotel if I had the opportunity.
Jun 5th, 2019, 05:35 AM

The TWA Hotel is the only hotel at JFK Airport. There are several others nearby that offer shuttles, but they aren't very well-regarded. If you are looking for something cheaper, look for one of the other airport hotels, but there are also hotels very close to Penn Station in Manhattan (thus easy to get to the airport) if you want to go that route. The Stewart Hotel (formerly the Affinia Manhattan) is one of the most convenient, literally across the street from the station entrance and within walking distance of Times Square and Rockefeller Center in about 15 minutes. (FYI: It's Rockefeller Center, not Rockefeller Square.)

I think your plan to go to Top of the Rock is a good one. Do that, maybe do a little walking around, have a nice dinner, and then head back the airport. I'd recommend taking the Airtrain followed by the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station rather than the E train, which can take longer. If you do take the subway, get off the E train at 53rd/Lexington Avenue and walk two blocks west and 3 blocks south to Rock Center. If you like steak, there's a reasonably priced steak restaurant called Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote across the street from the E subway station at 52nd/Lexington Ave. It serves a prix-fixe steak with salad and fries and cheap wine. The dinner (and they offer only this one steak with absolutely no other options) costs about $28, excluding wine and dessert.
Jun 5th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

@doug_stallings Thank you for the information. I'm thinking TWA might be our best option. This would avoid any worries about getting to JFK in time for our international 11am flight.

If taking the Airtrain from JFK, where would be catch the Long Island Railroad? Thanks for the restaurant tip. We are carnivores!

Also, I see you can pre-purchase tickets to the Top of the Rock. We'd prefer to make sure the weather will be nice enough to make the visit worth it. Is it possible to walk-up and purchase tickets or does this attraction sell out quickly?

Thanks!
Jun 8th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Long Island Railroad connection is at Jamaica Station.
Jun 9th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Jun 14th, 2019, 02:13 PM

We can’t wait go stay there! There are no other decent hotels near JFK. And I love that TWA was designed by Eero Saarinen.