Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tutu's Cottage at Kilauea Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tutus-cottage-at-kilauea-lodge-641366/)

CaliNurse Aug 23rd, 2006 10:59 AM

Tutu's Cottage at Kilauea Lodge

Turtlegirl, this one's for you and of course, any other interested Fodor friends.
You made an excellent choice! We loved this cottage.
It is far nicer than the one photo conveys. It's perfect size for a family of four. The bedrooms were nice size, lovely , beautifuly furnished --if i recall right, had antique dressers/wardrobes.The place was kept spotless. Living room/kitchen area with fireplace--they leave games for you and it was o The second bedrrom has two beds. The bathroom had that old fashioned tiled look but and you can warm your towels for those cool Kilauea nights. The garden was lush. I don't recall a lanai but i think there was a front porch. The yard was lush with those wonderful huge-kleaved plants. The area is residential. It is a lovely wlk, or quick drive, to the main lodge where you'll have bkfast (which is included iwth the price)

CaliNurse Aug 23rd, 2006 11:06 AM

Oops, clicked accidentally befor proofreading. Board games--fun to sit in front of fire in evening. Volcano Village is that kind of place--stay at home in front of a good fire! There's no wraparound porch/lanai--maybe a front porch you can sit out on? The area is other lovely cottages, wide lawns off a small road, and a nice leisurely walk to the Lodge-- maybe 15 minutes? (Sorry, Turtelegirl--this was 8 yrs ago so a few details might be wrong)
Despite the higher price, it is definitely the place I'd chose (as opposed to one of their rgualr rooms) when I return to the area.
If any of you old-timers (like me) recall Sophie Tucker--Tutu, the original owner of the cottage, was her daughter.

turtlegirl Aug 23rd, 2006 11:10 AM

Thanks so much! I am putting way too much into this as we're only staying one night...but my family saw this and then some of the "zen" like places and preferred those...I do like the idea of two bedrooms, but want to make sure it's rainforesty...Thanks again, Calinurse

SpeedBuggy Aug 23rd, 2006 11:19 AM

Marking. Thanks, CaliNurse!

FainaAgain Aug 23rd, 2006 11:21 AM

Hey, Cali, welcome back :)

CaliNurse Aug 23rd, 2006 11:34 PM

Turtlegirl, your enquiry piqued my interest, so looked at old photo album to jog my memory. Was there 6 , not 8, yrs ago, so have even less of an excuse for fuzzy details.
Tutu Cottage's backyard is bordered by rainforest. I have a photo of my 6'1" nephew standing well under a huge giant tree fern at the edge of the forest behind the house. There were many lush, huge-leaved trees and plants there, dripping moisture. You will defintely see and feel (the ever- damp air) that you're in a rain forest area. It may not be an actual zen retreat, but its peacefulness the evening you're there will delight your whole family. I can almost guarantee you'll all wish you were able to stay one additonal night.
Despite possible temptation to sleep late in that cozy cottage, try to get up in time for the lovely warm breakfast by the big fireplace at the main lodge.
Happy travels,Turtlegirl and family!!
And greetings, SB and FA ( you of the ticklish llama lips).

turtlegirl Aug 24th, 2006 06:28 AM

Calinurse, Thanks for looking-it is amazing how quickly we can forget all the little details, but if overall the feeling was wonderful, then that's what makes a great stay. I'm glad my question took you on a trip down memory lane!

CaliNurse Aug 24th, 2006 12:31 PM

Many mahalos, turtlegirl, for your very sweet response. I've been "back there" since yesterday after perusing that photo album!