Tuscon vacation rental location advice, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a rental located at 231 South Herbert Ave in Armory Park neighborhood. The house and terms are very attractive to us, but since I haven't been to Tucson in about 50 years, I have no idea about neighborhoods. We do want an in town location .
If you know this neighborhood we're interested in your thoughts. I have walked it on google maps and can see what it looks like, but I am more interested in the "feel" of the area.
Here is the link.
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p169216
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM

You'll have a car? I responded to your other thread but I looked at the link here. If you have a car, it may not be bad. Just on the other side of the freeway is the University and a nice art museum. There also was a great organic market in that area.

Tucson is an interesting city, full of unusual hidden gems that are very simple and oddly gratifying.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, LSky, I am waiting for the other thread to go away.
We will definitely have a car. What do you mean by"it may not be bad?" Might it be a safe interesting, perhaps quirky kind of neighborhood? Boring?

any unusual hidden gems you might like to share?
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM

It would depend upon what you might expect from a neighborhood. My husband and I would differ in places we might feel are okay neighborhoods. From googling, it looked a little run down, which wouldn't bother me that much and won't be in the center of all. (again not a huge deal to me) I hope you get a better answer than the one you're getting from me

Here's what I really think about Tucson. All the neighborhoods look a little run down until you get to the hills. It's the nature of the desert, dry and a bit dusty.

I liked the art museum at the University.
The art galleries on River Road are fun.

This is a very small pleasure not for everyone. I like to take in a sunrise or sunset at the Unity churchin Tucson.
There is a meditation labryrinth to walk, if there's just a little wind then their collection of Solari bells completes the morning. It's free, it's like Tucson itself; it's not a big splashy thing but something small to be savored within yourself.

Are you going to other places in Arizona?

BTW, I've never stayed here but have always wanted to but we travel to this area with our dogs b/c we have family in around there. Benson AZ (not far from Tucson) is the Astronomer's Inn, it always seemed like a good place to stay for a star gazer. Of course, most of AZ is good for star gazers.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM

http://www.unitytucson.com/visit-us/...th-meditation/
in case you're interested.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM

jubilada,

LSky gave you some erroneous information. The Armory Park area is on the same side of th3e freeway as the downtown area and the university. Armory Park is well within walking distance of many things downtown, although everything is much more accessible with a car.

For a fairly comprehensive list of things to see and do around Tucson and southern Arizona, check out my blog. I have included clickable links to most of the sights.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

MikeP, thanks.
can you describe the neighborhood to me?
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM

That area is an older area, with many of the homes built in the early 1900's. It is just south of the downtown area and is one of the older areas that has been revitalized and is now one of the most desirable locations to live, as well as the hub of the local arts district. Here are a couple of websites that will give you more information:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Tucson-AZ.html

http://blog.washingtonfederal.com/20...ucson-arizona/

There are transients in the area, although the crime rate there is not really high. And the Occupy Tucson movement used Armory Park as their "camp", although I believe they were evicted.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Sorry for the erroneous information. I should have said, "it looks like it's on the other side of the freeway."