Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tuscon Spring Training (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tuscon-spring-training-193070/)

Wendy Jan 23rd, 2003 11:58 AM

Tuscon Spring Training

We are heading to Tuscon in March to catch some baseball and sun! Any advice on a hotel that is easy distance to the park? I think it's called Hi Corbett? Any fun restaurant/bars for 3 couples in their early 30's?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Wendy

Wendy Jan 23rd, 2003 01:33 PM

O.k. before the spelling police send out a warrant I just realized my mistake. TUCSON..... oops!

bj Jan 23rd, 2003 09:49 PM

We spent a week in December at the Omni Tucson Int'l. Through contacting the hotel directly we had a terrific rate for a &quot;Hacienda&quot; with separate bedroom and kitchen. Mom had a lovely &quot;Casita&quot; with king bed. Beautiful resort, nice people. The resort is located on the North side of Tucson but the city is quite compact and easy to get around (with a car - don't know about public transportation). The Omni has 2 completely separate pool areas, both of which are great, as well as a nice restaurant. Have fun!

Wendy Jan 24th, 2003 12:43 PM

Thanks bj! I love Omni's, will check their rates. Anyone else?

Linda Jan 24th, 2003 01:25 PM

I live in Tucson and the Omni is NOT close to Hy Corbett Field, think about 15 miles. Tucson is a mess of torn up streets and traffic jams, it is not a compact city, it's about 40 miles wide. I'd suggest the Doubletree on Alvernon Rd., it's at least in the vicinity you are looking for. The area around the field is not known for great hotels. If you don't mind putting a few miles on the car (8 maybe) go to The Windmill Inn at St. Phillip's Plaza at River Rd &amp; Campbell. All rooms are 2 room suites and it's a great place. The plaza has several nice places to eat as well and just up the street is PF Chang's if you like them. For a great place to eat (not so great neighborhood tho) go downtown to Cafe Poca Cosa -- best food in town.

Wendy Feb 4th, 2003 01:16 PM

Additionally I have been placing some bids on Priceline and haven't had any bites. Checked out Hotwire but since I've never used that I'm wondering if anyone has and what hotels they have gotten?<BR><BR>Wendy

Alice Feb 4th, 2003 01:50 PM

I wouldn't really risk priceline or hotwire for Tucson hotels. In general, most of the hotels in the city are old and worn down, and there aren't many areas of Tucson I'd be willing to stay in, even if the hotel was newer. It's just not a nice area. Now, if you're willing to stay in one of the beautiful resorts on the outskirts of town and drive in for your baseball trips, I'd go for it.

NotoriousMEG Feb 4th, 2003 02:07 PM

The Doubletree is a good suggestion. Also http://www.lodgeonthedesert.com/ is close and lovely. I'm from Tucson and recently stayed at the Hotel Congress, which is great if you're into the downtown scene, lots of art galleries and cafes, but pretty basic and old fashioned (my room didn't have a TV, just a radio). Arizona Inn is great if you can afford it.

Wendy Feb 4th, 2003 02:15 PM

The Lodge looks fantastic but a bit out of our price range unfortunately. On Sunday thru Tues we are staying at our friends time share so we just need a basic place for Sat. where we can hang out by the pool.<BR><BR>Wendy

krissy66 Feb 4th, 2003 02:16 PM

Ditto Arizona Inn. It's historic, charming and central. But I do believe it's pricey.

E Feb 5th, 2003 07:04 AM

I must agree with Linda--Tucson is sprawling, not compact. I also agree with Alice in that Tucson has a high proportion of crummy hotels, so I, too, wouldn't risk blind bidding. If it were me--and believe me, my husband wishes it were--I would stay at the Windmill, as I have many times before. Proximity to nice restaurants and a nicer neighborhood in general would make the drive to the field worth it for me.

Wendy Feb 5th, 2003 11:00 AM

Just tried the Windmill but they are all booked up for the weekend in March that I will be there, darn!<BR><BR>On priceline we were bidding Tucson central, 4 and 3 star, which had hotel wins of the Mariott and Four Point Sheraton and Tucson East which had DoubleTree and Sheraton. These properties are not so good though????<BR><BR>Wendy

Don Feb 5th, 2003 01:21 PM

Wendy, The Sheraton on Grant Road is fine. We stayed there a couple on nights in 2001 and had no complaints, especially with the price we got it for via Priceline.<BR><BR>The room was fine, but the best part was a free breakfast buffet. Ham/sausage, eggs, toast/muffins, fried potatoes, coffee, tea, juices, cereals, and fruit salad. There might have been danish, too--can't remember.<BR><BR>Anyway, don't know about the Doubletree. But if you can snag the Sheraton for a decent price, we think it'll meet your needs. Mapquest indicates it's about 8.5 miles to Hy Corbett, and estimates 15 minutes travel time.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

Don Feb 5th, 2003 01:22 PM

Just to clarify my previous post--this is the Sheraton in the Tucson East zone on Priceline, not the Four Points Sheraton.

Lori Feb 5th, 2003 02:32 PM

Don't stay at the 4 Points Sheraton,it's a dump and right next to the UofA campus. The Sheraton on Grant is very nice, if you get a good rate there go for it, buffet breakfasts are included. Not sure which Marriot you mean, there is one right next to the UofA - avoid it (over priced I think)