Reload this Page >

Tuscan Inn, San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:22 PM
Linda

Has anybody stayed here? Impressions? My travel companion has her heart set on staying near the Wharf and this seems less cookie cutter than the chain hotels. Would appreciate any impressions you can give me.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
kam

All I can offer is that it has the only decent seafood restaurant at the Wharf called Cafe Pescatore. It's not that Fisherman's Wharf is not a good place to stay, it's just touristy and a place kids like, but if your friend has her heart set I would go for it. My only other suggestion might be the Washington Square Inn, but that's technically in North Beach not right at the Wharf.

Old May 24th, 2001, 11:10 AM
kal

Aloha,
We stayed there 2 times, the last being approx 5 yrs ago and really enjoyed it. But, it was 5 yrs ago. Still looked in good shape when we walked by last month, though.

European feel. Small but very cozy rooms. Good service. About 3 blocks off the touristy paths of Fish/Wharf.

Agree w/ kam's evaluation of Cafe Pescatore.

Mahalo,
Kal

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Jane

I stayed there in winter of '98 and agree with Kal- the place has a cozy, intimate feel. Rooms are nicely decorated but I don't recall mine being very small. Service was good and if your friend wants to stay near the Wharf, I think this is the right place for you.

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Jane

Linda-
By chance, I saw an article last night on the Tuscan Inn and it quoted Frommers as saying it was the best hotel in the wharf. I dug around on the Frommers site and Found this:
"The Tuscan Inn is, in my opinion, the best hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. Like an island of respectability in a sea of touristy schlock, it exudes a level of style and comfort far beyond its neighboring competitors. Splurge on parking--actually cheaper than the wharf's outrageously priced garages--then saunter toward the plush lobby, warmed by a grand fireplace. Even the rooms are a definite cut above competing Fisherman's Wharf hotels. Most have writing desks and armchairs. The only caveat is the lack of scenic views--a small price to pay for a good hotel in a great location."