Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tuscaloosa Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tuscaloosa-restaurant-207729/)

Bayley Nov 16th, 2001 07:46 AM

Tuscaloosa Restaurant

Going to Alabama-Auburn game with college-boy son in a few weeks. Want to know where the best places are to eat in Tuscaloosa? Want to treat my boy to good eating.

Beachbum Nov 16th, 2001 07:57 AM

Hate to break the news, but this year the game is in Auburn, not Tuscaloosa.

S Nov 16th, 2001 08:56 AM

Auburn's population essentially doubles during a football game. Be prepared for EVERYWHERE to be packed. Since it's an early afternoon game (1:00?), expect to tailgate it for lunch. One of the Auburn traditions is the family tailgating atmosphere of game days. Unless you leave the game early, expect it to take quite a while to get out of town. There are nice restaurants in town, but I'm assuming you'll be heading west towards Birmingham after the game. You can either hang around town (hopefully in defeat) or look for restaurant in Birmingham. There's not too much on US Hwy 280 between Auburn and Birmingham.

jeannie Nov 16th, 2001 10:21 AM

Do I detect some (good natured)football rivalry among fellow Fodorites? Could we actually talk about something other than the best deli in NYC?<BR>I'm Bama grad and fan, but honestly think Auburn will tear Bama up this year. Four of my nephews attend Bama now, but have friends at Auburn, and I am proud to say that they speak well of the Auburn crowd. <BR>Roll Tide!

S Nov 16th, 2001 12:49 PM

Ah yes, the state is showing their colors today. All my family has attended Auburn. (3 BS, 1 MBA, 1 undergraduate work, 1 post graduate work) Many people here discuss various cities as college towns - but they're not my idea of a college town. Almost everyone in town is connected to the school - as a student, faculty, staff, or being married to one. <BR><BR>I'm showing my age, but when I was there, Toomer's Corner was rolled when Auburn won an away game. It seems like this is a typical occurance now for any victory.<BR><BR>One way or another, welcome to "the loveliest village on the Plains."

xxxx Nov 16th, 2001 12:53 PM

haven't you people been reading the other posts. don't you know this is a fake post and that nobody could possibly want information about restaurants in places like Tuscaloosa? these posts are a plot by fodors, so what are you doing answering them?

Jimbo Nov 16th, 2001 12:59 PM

Both sides are teams full of criminals who don't belong in college. What are the SAT scores. Can any of Auburn's halfbacks spell CAT? Can any of Alabama's defensive tackles multiply 3 X 4?

JAS Nov 16th, 2001 01:09 PM

Jimbo, please provide the NCAA stats for these universities to back up your claim.

jeannie Nov 16th, 2001 09:05 PM

S: I don't know your age but I can remember when the Iron Bowl was only played in B'ham. (I was at Bama 76-79.)Before I went to college, I attended the famous 17-16 game. From our seats, we clearly saw thoses blocked punts.<BR>Do you live in Auburn now?