Tucson travel without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a part of Tucson that is a good walking area and has hotels, museums, shops and restaurants?
Would like a trip that uses Uber, walking, or local tours for transportation rather than a rented car.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't think of a part of Tucson that would be good for more than a day or 2 without a car. I used to have an occasional weekend in downtown and adjacent El Presidio neighborhood and enjoyed walking around but always had a car too. I think renting a car is your best bet, though you don't say how long you plan to be there.

Around UofA is nice and walkable and I suspect there may be buses to get you downtown from there. But the good stuff in Tucson is very spread out, designed, as most cities in the west, for cars.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 04:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Around the U of A as mentioned above. The Arizona Inn is nearby, also a large Marriott.The street car line goes from near the U of A Medical Center, through the campus, down 4th Ave., a funky shopping and dining area, into downtown and across to the west of I-10.
Or up in the Foothills, Embassy Suites on Skyline. You can walk to La Encantada shopping center and many good restaurants. Westin La Paloma takes guests in vans to dining and shopping areas but it really is a destination resort.
However, I cannot imagine not having a car in Tucson. Like most of the west, it is car dependent. There is Uber and Lyft available. Honestly, I would feel trapped with out a car.
We go without cars when possible when traveling, using Uber, etc and walking a lot. But those are more urban areas. Tucson does not really have a urban core. I am used to a much more urban setting and I understand your desire. It will hard to do in Tucson.