Tucson to Holbrook AZ... best route in Match

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will plan to drive from Tucson to Holbrook and need help deciding route to drive. Our planned day is March 22, so hopefully we won’t have any unexpected weather problems. We plan to spend night in Holbrook and then go to Petrified Forest/Painted Desert the following day. Any suggestions? 😊 thank you
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 10:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In March I-40 in AZ is very susceptible to winter snowstorms so, unless you have no problem driving in snow, I'd watch the forecasts and make your Holbrook plans flexible in response to the weather. I got caught in one once on the way home from the Navajo reservation and holed up for hours with a lot of truck drivers at a truck stop.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm hoping you were not planning on going on US 60 through Show Low and US 180 to get there. If you are flying into Tucson I would compare prices to fly to Albuquerque and renting the car there. You could also take the Amtrak SW Chief from ABQ to Winslow and rent a car the next day. Stop to see the statue of Glen Frey "Standing on the Corner" in Winslow AZ.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Tom, whats wrong with US 60, weather concerns? We drove it first week of May, but end of March could / should be OK. (Maybe I shouldn't put that in writing.)

Anyway, we stopped at the excellent Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park
Then spent a night in the bustling metropolis of Superior which has a nice bar / restaurant called Porter's Cafe.

Then on to Holbrook for the Wigwam motel, which is a different sort of experience.

But I think 60 is probably a better option than going through Phoenix to 87.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be concerned about a late season snowstorm.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 07:21 PM

AZ weather is entirely dependent on elevation. As a veteran of AZ weather in higher elevations both north & south for 25 years until recently, one must just be resigned to flexibility. March isn't even late season for a snowstorm, more like high season. The rule is don't put out the tomatoes until Mother's Day, because by May it's summer. The 2 months could not be more different.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for that further info. In northeastern Colorado we have a May 15 rule about the tomatoes, so only a few days later than your high country AZ rule. I would have though an AZ rule would have been even earlier so stand corrected. (And that rule failed in CO last year with a big snowfall just before Memorial Day.)

In thinking about we have driven between CO and Tucson at least 4 times over the years, different routes via New Mexico or Utah. We ran into plan-altering snows twice, both at Raton Pass in April, but that's 25% of the trips.

Hopefully Momburd will have good weather.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Now in CA at 2500' but with very similar weather to my long-time AZ home at 5200', I'm wondering, now I've decided to grow my own, when should I put tomatoes in the ground here? I'll google it but if anyone knows, do tell, please.

Yes, Raton Pass is a killer, also on the way home to AZ had to turn back once and overnight in Trinidad. Even if 25% of the time, knowledge that it's possible is the thing. Just be ready.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Jan 30th, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

We are starting our trip in Phoenix. South from there and back after exploring southern AZ. Our plan is to leave Tucson and stay overnight in Holbrook. Visit Painted Forest/ Petrified Desert then drive to Sedona. What route should we take from Tucson?
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Should we go from Tucson to Sedona which is where we plan to spend our next 3 nights and do a day trip to Petrified Forest and Painted Forest? That would eliminate any weather concerns about driving on 77/60. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:13 AM

Make the decision on March 21st or the morning of the 22nd based on the forecast.

It's 2.5 hours from Sedona to Petrified Forest, that is a really long day trip. If the weather is clear on the 22nd, it wouldn't make sense to go to Sedona instead of Holbrook. Drive to Holbrook and eliminate the need for that long trip to/from Sedona.

If the weather is bad, then go to Sedona and decide if you still want to make the drive to Petrified/Painted on a different day while you're there. It makes sense to research the options now but I don't see a need to nail down the exact route until March 21st or even the 22nd. Make cancellable lodging reservations in Sedona and Holbrook for March 22nd, then cancel the one that isn't needed.