Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tucson or Sedona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tucson-or-sedona-419061/)

cactushugger Apr 5th, 2004 05:37 AM

Tucson or Sedona?

I plan to spend next March in AZ. I have to choose between these two destinations. I know there is plenty to keep me entertained in each. So, the big question is the weather.
Can anyone advise me on Sedona's weather in March? I want to do lots of outside activities.
THANKS!

jende Apr 5th, 2004 07:34 AM

I visited Sedona the first week of March, and we had gorgeous weather. Sunny and 75 degrees (and even warmer in Phoenix). But, the week before they had snow and hail.

From what I've heard, March is very iffy in all of Arizona. Given that you want to take advantage of Sedona's awesome outdoor activities, I'd wait until April, if possible.

travleis Apr 5th, 2004 09:31 AM

You're spending the whole month of March in AZ but can only visit either Tucson or Sedona? Is that correct?
How long would you be in either area?

For a 2 day trip I think Sedona is much more impressive and memorable. It's a very unique place. If spending a week you might get a little bored unless you'll plan on several longs hikes, etc.

Avg daily hi/lo temps in March in Sedona are 63 and 36, but actual temps can vary a lot from day to day. There's an avg of 1.6 inches of snow in March. March is transition month.
Tucson averages 73/44 in March.

theruleof80 Apr 5th, 2004 01:18 PM

Go down to Bisbee and rent a guest house. Tucson is just one giant suburb nowadays. Sedona is stip mall after stip mall.

kkj Apr 5th, 2004 02:03 PM

Go to the Sedona website to check any facts such as weather. That is a much better solution than asking people who have been in Sedona once or twice for their opinions.

With the elevation in Sedona you should be prepared to run into snow. It may not happen, but it is possible.

I live in Arizona and there is no comparison between Sedona and Tucson. I enjoy them both. Tucson is a larger city and as such it has all the ammenities that you would expect. Sedona has been rated as one of the most beautiful places in the country and for sheer beauty there is nothing like it at all.

So where you go depends on what you want to do.

Personally, I would do both if you are going to be here a month.

cactushugger Apr 6th, 2004 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone!
I'm having SUCH a hard time figuring this out. I have been to both Sedona and Tucson before so am aware of the scenery and amenities of both. I do prefer Sedona's smaller size. But, I would miss the desert landscape. The weather, activities, and rental costs are the major deciding factors.

I DO need to do the whole month in one place or the other. You'd be amazed at the good deals you can get on MONTHLY vacation home rentals...only slightly more than the weekly rates. And, sadly, money IS a concern.

Hiking, bird watching, exploring Indian ruins, and other outdoor activities are big favorites. A couple of spring training baseball games would be at the top of my husbands list. We aren't big shoppers, but, do enjoy trying a variety of restaurants.

Sedona's weather is a concern. I was there in January '02. Temps were in the 70's! I know that wasn't normal. March in Sedona sounds like March in my part of Virginia... only with more sunny days. I'm not sure that is enough of an escape from the winter blahs. I have loved Tucson's March weather on vacations past.

I'm afraid April in Sedona is not an option. I'll be driving back to Virgina then. I work from mid April through November each year. (Have to pay for these trips somehow!)

Thanks for the thought about Bisbee. It's a neat place. But, it lacks my requirement of either the Sonoran desert landscape or Sedona caliber scenery.

Ultimately the decision may be made on where I can find a rental that will allow my dog!

Does anyone have any other thoughts, suggestions, or, ideas that might help?
I'd love to hear them?

Thanks,
Gretchen

E Apr 6th, 2004 09:04 AM

Well, if I were you, I'd choose Tucson and plan on perhaps a 2-3 day trip to Sedona if the budget permits. From Tucson you can do day trips south for great hiking and birding, and north to Phoenix for a shopping trip, although I always found enough good shopping in Tucson to occupy me; plus Tucson will have the spring training games, as will Phoenix, and a pretty wide array of restaurants and food markets. If it's the desert landscape that draws you, Sedona may begin to feel too cold and isolated at that time of year. Lastly, because Tucson and its suburbs are so spread out, I think it might be easier to find a rental bargain there than in Sedona. Best of luck making your decision!

cactushugger Apr 6th, 2004 04:47 PM

Hello E,
Thanks for your thoughts. After much consideration I have decided that Tucson would be my best bet. Surprisingly though I'm finding MUCH better rental deals in Sedona- probably because of the weather. (Gorgeous two or three bedroom houses with spectacular views are renting for what a nothing-special condo goes for in Tucson!) Even at the higher cost I'm having trouble finding pet friendly properties in Tucson. I have offered... to no avail... to provide pet references from the owner of a home I rented for a month this past winter! I'll keep searching.

Wish me luck!
Gretchen

travleis Apr 6th, 2004 04:58 PM

If you've already been to both places and are familiar with them I'm not understanding why you asked this question.
You can look up weather data easily on the internet.
Try www.weather.com or www.weatherbase.com.

cactushugger Apr 7th, 2004 09:41 AM

Travleis,
If you read the entire thread you will find that I have asked about more than just the weather. However I posted the weather question because cold hard data is just that. I am hoping to hear from actual warm blooded beings who have spent more time than I in these two places. I would like to hear things like..."Sure Sedona has some cold days in March, but, the good days are fabulous and outweigh the bad." Or... "If you like hiking with your dog don't go to Tucson. You can't take dogs ANYWHERE and it is way too hot to leave them in a car!" Such input would be very helpful.

Fellow travelers offer the benefit of their experience. Sometimes they can suggest creative solutions to problems. I solicited such information. One does not get that sort of feedback from numbers on a page.
Thanks for your concern.

travleis Apr 7th, 2004 09:54 AM

I understand your point.
Thanks for the explanation.
As a former AZ resident the best I can tell you (from warm blooded experience) is that March is highly variable and unpredictable. Especially in Sedona.
If weather is a major concern, Tucson will offer a higher level of certainty.
Hope your plans work out to your satisfaction. Springtime in the desert is beautiful.

E Apr 7th, 2004 10:43 AM

Wow, cactus, I am really surprised that rentals in Tucson are more $$ than in Sedona. Are you checking areas just outside Tucson, too, or is it important to you to be in the city? We used to live in Sierra Vista and liked that area, which includes, roughly, Hereford and Bisbee, a lot. But March is high season for snowbirds down there...Best of luck!

cactushugger Apr 10th, 2004 06:08 PM

Greetings to E and Traveleis,
I think I may have found an acceptable compromise to my rental problem in the eastern outskirts of Tucson. It is smaller than I had hoped and it lacks the kind of scenic view I would prefer. However, it is in Civano, a "green" community near the eastern section of Saguaro Natl. Park. The community features lots of open space with mature trees and natural landscapes. There are walking paths throughout. And, importantly for me, it is a dog friendly rental. Surprisingly, unlike all of the other rentals I've seen, the price is actually less for the month of March! That saves me enough to take a couple of days to show my husband Sedona.

I've got my fingers crossed as I wait to hear from the owners. The home appears to be available for next March...if the website is up to date.

E, I have spent one night in Sierra Vista as a jumping off point to Ramsey Canyon. Undoubtedly I will visit again one of these days. But, it isn't different enough in landscape for me. It is similar to the foothills of Colorado where I lived for six years. I find the desert a more exotic and stimulating environment. But, thanks for your suggestion.

Traveleis, I couldn't agree more. Spring in the desert IS heavenly. I look forward to the day my husband and I retire and can spend more time there. We've never seen the saguaors in full bloom. We've also missed the spectacular spring wildflower display. We were there at the right time but in the wrong year! The rains hadn't fallen at the right time. Maybe 2005 will be the year. We have much to look forward to.

Thanks again too all who offered their help. It warms my heart that folks are so willing to share their time and advice with a fellow traveler.
Gretchen

E Apr 13th, 2004 11:15 AM

Gretchen, I think you'll really like Civano! Friends of ours built a house there, and while we never had a chance to visit after it was finished, we heard a lot about the community, and it sounds just awesome. I wish I could spend next March out there!

cactushugger Apr 13th, 2004 03:34 PM

Thanks E!
It is always nice to have report from someone who has familiarity with a place we hope to visit. I haven't yet had an affirmative from the owner. Don't know what the hold up is.